Author Topic: 65-66 woodgrain steering wheel color?  (Read 3728 times)

Offline 66candy

• 66 Mustang Convertible Phote Book Restoration
65-66 woodgrain steering wheel color?
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:55 PM »
I recently bought 2 woodgrain 65-66 steering wheels. Both have some minor cracks which shouldn't be to difficult to repair. My question is about the actual color of the steering wheel. I see that most (repro) wheels have a natural wood color while both of my wheels and some vintage pictures of original cars are more like a tan color.Is this correct?
I also would like to have so closeup pictures of the grain of an original steering wheel. Most of the grain is weared out and I have to find a way to imitate it.

Thanks!
Erwin, The Netherlands

66 Red Convertible, 289/4V AT/PS/PDB/PT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65-66 woodgrain steering wheel color?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:41:20 PM »
Here are some close up - there is some light wear down to the base plastic but the darker is the original color.

Hope these helps

There are a number of threads on discussing the steering wheels. Guess you've already read them ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66candy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:36:00 AM »
Great pictures Jeff! I indeed found the other topic on this subject. Time to put on my glasses en put some scratches on my wheel......
Erwin, The Netherlands

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
Here's another picture of an original wheel on a '66.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:26:49 PM »
     This is the OE wheel car on my car.  More goldish in color and not a dark color.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
     This is the OE wheel car on my car.  More goldish in color and not a dark color.  Brian

Think the camera flash may be exaggerating the color a bit.  The darker brown like in Jeff's pic is what I'm used to seeing on original wheels.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 66candy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 01:38:56 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys!

The color on Brain's is like mine. I wonder, if I decide to paint the wheel slightly darker, how long paint wil last before it wears off.
Erwin, The Netherlands

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:58 AM »
I'm sure there was variance and the 67 style wheel was typically lighter also.

Several coats of clear lacquer will help protect the surface.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
     Looking at the glove box, dash bezel and the consul the steering wheel would need to be a couple shades darker to be a better match.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
Here's what the wood of a real wood 65-66 woodgrain steering wheel looks like. It is made from 12 individual pieces, sanded and oil stained, no other finish, and I've kept it in a bag ever since. To get it up to a nicer condition, some 0000 steel wool and some walnut oil stain are required. This wheel was on the 66 GT Fastback I bought a very long time ago. I replaced it with a NOS Ford red wheel to match the red (code 25) interior back when a lot of NOS was available, then sold the car. It speaks Australian now (I hope it hasn't fallen off). I have a "restored" wood grain on my other 66 GT Fastback that replaced the worn one that came with the car. That was about 10 or 12 years ago. I prefer to drive with gloves (old habit) which reduces the oil from my hands getting on the wheel. The company that "restored" that wheel gave me a 90 day guarantee on the epoxy finish. The finish has held up so far but I'm afraid that it will start to show signs of wear.
You may now see where I'm headed.
A "painted" wheel will lose it's finish quickly. A wheel finished in epoxy will last longer but needs to be allowed to be cured, maybe a month or two sitting undisturbed. Placing the wheel in a heated curing environment is another option, it's quicker. Putting paint or epoxy on the wood grain part is tricky especially when you try to keep the shiny steel surfaces free, the "buttons" for example. I don't have any answers, just pointing out what I've seen and done.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.