Author Topic: 68 390/428 alternator connection with tach  (Read 377 times)

Offline preaction

68 390/428 alternator connection with tach
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »
I was looking through the 68 shop manual and the 68 assembly manual and both have the charging and starting circuit printed with an Ammeter in the circuit the circuit I'm looking for is a car with a tack and warning light which it seems takes a different  connector or wire harness from the alternator and doesn't show which side of the starter solenoid the single thick black wire mounts to. The pic below shows the old alternator harness, the NPD replacement and a NOS part for a car with a tachometer. Is there a schematic out there with this set up and which side of the solenoid does the large black wire attach to ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 390/428 alternator connection with tach
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »
I was looking through the 68 shop manual and the 68 assembly manual and both have the charging and starting circuit printed with an Ammeter in the circuit the circuit I'm looking for is a car with a tack and warning light which it seems takes a different  connector or wire harness from the alternator and doesn't show which side of the starter solenoid the single thick black wire mounts to. The pic below shows the old alternator harness, the NPD replacement and a NOS part for a car with a tachometer. Is there a schematic out there with this set up and which side of the solenoid does the large black wire attach to ?
Your thick black wire goes to the side with the + battery cable connected to it. The only thing that is connected to the starter side of the solenoid is the cable to the starter.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 68 390/428 alternator connection with tach
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
Your thick black wire goes to the side with the + battery cable connected to it. The only thing that is connected to the starter side of the solenoid is the cable to the starter.
+1.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com