Author Topic: Licensing requirements in California  (Read 3347 times)

Offline GTaylor842

Licensing requirements in California
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
Hi all,

I'm hoping that some of our California residents can help me answer a question.  I am considering a move to the Long Beach/LA area and was wondering what if any concerns I may have with licensing my mustang?  I currently live in the Seattle, WA area and have no emissions requirements to worry about due to the age. 

Thank You,

Greg

67 Fastback, Metuchen, 7T02A158XXX
Build date 5 Dec 1966
Greg Taylor
67 Metuchen Fastback
289-4V, 4 speed
7T02A158511
63B       T      6A      05M   17        1        5
Body  Color  Trim   Date   DSO   Axle   Trans

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Licensing requirements in California
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
No smog required for the early cars.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »
You might look into the YOM plates as an idea while you are at it. Prices on good black/gold plates and the blue "67" tags have come down a lot in the past few years, now that all the "hype" is over. They sure look nicer than the plates they are handing out these days.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline GTaylor842

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:01:49 PM »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the response.  I'm glad that I shouldn't have any issues with my car.  One less thing to worry about.

Greg
Greg Taylor
67 Metuchen Fastback
289-4V, 4 speed
7T02A158511

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »
You best make an appointment for your registration and driver's license - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm Just going to an office without an appointment means several hours of waiting. Be prepared for a lot of bureaucracy and DMV workers that only know one thing, they can't be fired. Cars made before 1974 (73 and earlier) are exempt from smog test, but you are not supposed to alter, remove or disable the smog equipment (emphasis on "supposed"). Put the year of manufacture plates off until you get the feel of the DMV requirements, which are different than the original bill's wording and intent. You WILL need an acceptable owner's document, in California it's called a "Pink Slip". I've found one ironic feature inn dealing with the DMV, you will get better information on the phone or e-mail than in person. Do your driver's license first, less stress.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
When I lived in SoCal, I strictly used AAA for my auto registrations.
I is a graduat of Cal State Long Beach ;-)
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
The state still has requirements for emissions and factory equipment.  You have to have it if it came with it - they just don't currently do an biannual tests of these vehicles though every year one of them tries to reinstate it.  Remote testing sites (sniffers on one ramps :(  and concerned citizens can raise a red flag and get you a visit to a referee station :(

Most owners don't understand that the law does not make it ok to remove the factory systems

Old cars not originally equipped (as I understand the current law) are not required to add any equipment - like they had in the past) when being registered in the state as long as they have over a certain number of miles - So low or no mileage originals can bring up some unpleasant issues

Hope this helps .

Don't stay as current as I did at one point - was one of the four people who spoke in front of the state committee that recommended the current wording of the law and requirement a number of years back

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GTaylor842

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 03:51:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  My car originally had no smog equipment that I know of.  I'm down here in California this weekend checking the area out.  Seems funny that the implications of licensing my mustang would have so much influence on my decision to move.  I finally got the car I've been wanting since I was 13 years old. I'm not willing to part with it now.
Greg Taylor
67 Metuchen Fastback
289-4V, 4 speed
7T02A158511

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »
Thanks guys.  My car originally had no smog equipment that I know of.  I'm down here in California this weekend checking the area out.  Seems funny that the implications of licensing my mustang would have so much influence on my decision to move.  I finally got the car I've been wanting since I was 13 years old. I'm not willing to part with it now.

With a car that did not originally have thermactor system you should be ok with the current requirements and laws. Not that the state could not change it at any time.  It is California ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
If your heads are original to your car/engine, you'll see the provisions for the thermactor tubes adjacent to the spark plug holes. If you have these additional ports(holes) they should have a plug in them. If not present, you didn't have a factory smog/thermactor equipped system and shouldn't have to worry about adding a system before you register your car. As Jeff also stated, and man-o-man is he right, it is California, and They could change the law back again, requiring pre-73 cars to have to be smog certified at a State smog station, every other year.
Our San Jose, 1-6-66 fastback has a Los Angeles DSO and had the factory smog equipment on it (bought in 1987).  I lived in Ventura (30 years) and pulled all the smog equipment off the car as soon as they passed the law down there, exempting pre-73 autos. I debated the removal & plugging up everything in the beginning but I saved all the parts (along with our original black and gold plates too) as we now live in Poulsbo, WA.  Decided not to again live in CA, am happy as a clam, returning to my native Western Washington finally. I know what you mean about the car, and never wanting to let go of it, now that you have it (dreams becoming reality). Me too, believe me...just wanting to put ours back exactly as it was from the factory now, so when people see it at shows, it's representative of a factory thermactor-equipped system, honestly and pretty rare to see up here, as it has turned out. Restored and put the CA plates back on last year too, for the 3 to 4 shows we attend every year. Looks genuinely iconic for reasons I can’t really describe, that black and gold on this particular car. Fun stuff. Wish you all the best in your decisions to re-locate.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline GTaylor842

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »
The decision has been made and I will be relocating.  Not voluntarily.  My job at Boeing was moved to Seal Beach so I will be there in early August to start at the new location.  As for the mustang... I am certain that it never had any smog/emissions equipment.  The DSO is 17 indicating Washington Ordering District.  In this case, the Washington is D.C. and not the state where it resides now.  The original dealer was Dick Herriman Ford in McLean Virginia.

I am looking forward to more nice weather days to drive the car.  I don't drive it in the rain and that rules out a lot of days up here in Lynnwood, WA.
Greg Taylor
67 Metuchen Fastback
289-4V, 4 speed
7T02A158511

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 04:34:29 PM »
Greg,
It sounds like you have your answer, based on all that info. Good background on your car too. Did you get a Marti Report for it already, showing that specific data for your car? Regardless, you might also consider "arming" yourself with that documentation (all you have on the original dealer & sale, etc., along with the data plate translation) before heading to your DMV appointment. Depends on who you get at the counter but they might try to derail you a bit, should they press you. I don't believe that will happen but I didn't ever leave anything to chance when I went there over the years (and in particular, my paranoia about removal of my orig themactor equipment), and it's been quite awhile since I've experienced their speedy and efficient services...ahem...
Sorry to lose you as a Washingtonian but you're gonna love the driving weather and the longer show season, guaranteed! We don't drive our steed in the rain either, unless we get surprised on a trip somewhere.
You take care,
-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »
We don't drive our steed in the rain either, unless we get surprised on a trip somewhere.
I spent 21 years out in the So.Cal Desert area near Palm Springs. My 67 rarely saw rain either while there. I had a strange problem with it...The wipers would work when tested everytime while it wasn't raining and on the few occasions when I might need to drive in the rain...they wouldn't work!  I think he was telling me to "Stay out  &%$## out of the rain!!!!" ;)
Our '05 hasn't had the wipers run since I bought it in '08. It looks like the P.O. did the same thing with him. He's still very clean underneath. I rack it once or twice a year and dry-clean it. We did get suprised a time or 2 here in Ohio...but we were always close enough to home & the rainex sheeted it off. We've taken very few chances on any questionable weather ever since. Doppler radar & a smart phone are our best friends!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments