Author Topic: 68 big block rear intake vacuum fitting  (Read 5128 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: 68 big block rear intake vacuum fitting
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »
+1  I have seen hundreds of these and the only absolute is there are always enough ports. Regarding the rear fittings, I think the second picture with the nipple coming out of the top of the larger rear fitting is a later detail, like around intro of CJ engine 4/68 ish. The rear small block can be 1-3 nipples and I've seen as many as 2 capped. I agree with others motor goes to front steel fitting

The fittings I photographed (not the WCCC photo) came from an engine with a 7M build date. All of the castings were 7L, the distributor was 7L or 7M, and it did not appear that the PCV system had been taken apart prior to my acquiring the motor. So the fitting with the top port may have been used a bit earlier. One factor may be what vehicle the engine was in. I don't know if it came out of a Fairlane, Cougar or Mustang. It's a 322 code (M/T) engine and the distributor was a C8OF-C, so it was an S code motor. For a 2/68 SJ Mustang with A/T, do you think the fitting without the top port (shown below) would be more appropriate?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: 68 big block rear intake vacuum fitting
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »
Got a chance to pick some parts out of a local yard that has basically been out of business for 20 years. I found an example of an application we have been discussing.

NOTE: this photo is NOT from a Mustang. It is from a 1967 XL with a "311" tag 390-2V. The fitting that is screwed into the manifold is obviously not the same one used for S code motors that have the PCV tube. What I'm looking at is the second fitting. It is the block-style with a hex plug in the unused brake booster port as Bob and Scott described. I will get more detailed photos of the plug after I clean it up. An interesting side note: the vacuum hose going to the trans tube is printed "WASHER - VACCUUM". I will post photos of that too.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.