Author Topic: Help identifing original 1966 Shelby steel hood ?  (Read 6362 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Help identifing original 1966 Shelby steel hood ?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 12:05:18 AM »
My understanding is that they got standard Mustang hoods, cut and added the scoops at their location. Shelby had issues with them and a fair number were sold as replacement body parts around southern Cal

Don't know anyone that has found any documentation or workers that could describe the process as of yet.
The hood scoop openings had the perimeter recessed so that scoop would lay in the groove where it then was leaded in . I believe the lead flux that remained after the process was the source of the paint adhesion problems. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »
The hood scoop openings had the perimeter recessed so that scoop would lay in the groove where it then was leaded in . I believe the lead flux that remained after the process was the source of the paint adhesion problems.

To illustrate what Bob is describing I offer the following

The faint line pressed into the hood top surface in the picture below is that recessed area where the steel hood scoop sat into on the round cut out version. It appears IMHO that the depression was added to the hood once the top and bottom had already been joined - likely at the company that converted the Mustang hood into the all steel Shelby hood. Arrows show that the press also deformed the inner structure also though slightly

And example of the reaction of the original exterior paint to the products used to make the hood

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
Arrows show that the press also deformed the inner structure also though slightly

The inner panel on c7zx's hood is similarly formed.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »
The inner panel on c7zx's hood is similarly formed.

The hoods I've got pictures of with the large cut out do not have the recessed area. So we're back with the possibility that that hood has been modified 

If its real that's not going to be a easy- invisible fix
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »
The hoods I've got pictures of with the large cut out do not have the recessed area. So we're back with the possibility that that hood has been modified 

If its real that's not going to be a easy- invisible fix

Seems like it. Interesting that the greenish hood you showed with the round hole has forming on inner & outer panels, while the round-hole hood that Swede posted has neither. There appears to be some evidence of spot welds on that one.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
Seems like it. Interesting that the greenish hood you showed with the round hole has forming on inner & outer panels, while the round-hole hood that Swede posted has neither. There appears to be some evidence of spot welds on that one.

The "greenish" one is bare steel - just the lighting the owner used or a reflection when he took the pictures.

Can make out welds on that one also in other pictures - more of tack welds I would say.

On the large opening ones I'm seeing (from the period - on original cars) they appear to have no recess in the Mustang hood structure. Not sure how they handled the double thickness around the scoop and kept it invisible from the top. Haven't separated the scoop form the hood on any of those.  The Hertz hood above is one of that variation

Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
The "greenish" one is bare steel - just the lighting the owner used or a reflection when he took the pictures.

Can make out welds on that one also in other pictures - more of tack welds I would say.

On the large opening ones I'm seeing (from the period - on original cars) they appear to have no recess in the Mustang hood structure. Not sure how they handled the double thickness around the scoop and kept it invisible from the top. Haven't separated the scoop form the hood on any of those.  The Hertz hood above is one of that variation

So why no forming on either panel on the hood in Swede's photo? Is that not a genuine all-steel hood, or was there more than one version with the round hole?
Dave Z.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
So why no forming on either panel on the hood in Swede's photo? Is that not a genuine all-steel hood, or was there more than one version with the round hole?
After reviewing the picture I notice plug weld marks which may be the result of a past owner fix as well as a possible replacement hood based on the lack of the typical depression around the scoop perimeter.Just my thoughts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 11:15:15 PM »
Guys,
My friend's car in Sweden 6S923 had the original hood when restoration started but according to his body man the hood was warped on the top side and wasn't possible to fix in a satisfactory way. A Mustang steel hood was used and the hole was put into the new hood and the scoop moved over. Obviously they restorer didn't see the depression. Got pictures from my friend with the date codes on both the original hood and the replacement.
Texas Swede