Author Topic: 69 Back Up Lights ?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: 69 Back Up Lights ?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 06:31:02 PM »
And just to be clear here when I saw "wrong"....that only applies in our concours world here.  From the practical point of view almost all service replacements fit and work just fine.  Ford would not particularly worry if the wiring or the finishes on something looked a bit different, as long as functionally they worked. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Understood.  Other NOS examples I have seen; the chrome body looks correct but the wire harness differs slightly.  No ink stamped part number but a purple/paper tag instead also rather than a molded two wire they have a jacket over two loose wires.  The red plugs do seem correct and will work just fine with the OE harness.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:24:50 AM »
Remember, Ford did not build concourse grade cars on the assembly lines, and dealer service departments were interested in making the customer happy with something that worked, not necessarily original. That makes everything you are trying to do now "interesting".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 01:20:23 AM »
     Well learned quite a bit over the week-end about the 69 back up lights on my car.   So...you must rebuild/restore your originals or re-body with an after market piece.  There are no other choice's ?  Most disturbing Marcus that the "Ford service replacements are wrong ". Thanks for the alert and seems Ford had a knack for doing that with the reverse lights inparticular.  I am thinking the 65-66 grommets being to large.  Rebuilding the originals seems to be the route.  Right away I am thinking that the modern chrome is thicker than the assembly line stuff and will most likely present some difficulties.  Thanks,  Brian
Probably more accurate to say that "many" not all Ford service parts are different from assemblyline rather then wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby