Author Topic: Leaf Spring Markings - 66 NJ C code Coupe  (Read 1437 times)

Offline rrenz

Leaf Spring Markings - 66 NJ C code Coupe
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »
I am in the process of restoring my rear springs. So far I've disassembled the driver side and soaked it in evaporust to uncover the factory markings. I was sort of surprised to find what i did. I was expecting to find yellow marks/stripes near the shackle end of the spring. It appears as there are two white stripes near the axle on the front eye side. Curious if anyone else has any input or additional information. Car is a Jan 66 Metuchen C Code Auto Coupe.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:07:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Building 3

Re: Leaf Spring Markings
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »
My October 1965 built convertible C-Code automatic (no A/C) had two teal sprayed dots.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 11:18:11 PM »
I am in the process of restoring my rear springs. So far I've disassembled the driver side and soaked it in evaporust to uncover the factory markings. I was sort of surprised to find what i did. I was expecting to find yellow marks/stripes near the shackle end of the spring. It appears as there are two white stripes near the axle on the front eye side. Curious if anyone else has any input or additional information. Car is a Jan 66 Metuchen C Code Auto Coupe.

To match it with other cars and examples providing the stamping infro from the short leaf is the best IMHO. Lacking that we would need to know for 66 (engine, trans, thermactor, AC?, PS? and date estimation)

Typically they are marked on the rear section (same end as the stamped numbering) of the short leaf. Referrign to the "eye" may lead some to think of the bushing eyes formed in the long leaf at front or rear.  Not where 64-68's are typically marked

Have seen two white but dont' know if its a match without more info
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »
To match it with other cars and examples providing the stamping infro from the short leaf is the best IMHO. Lacking that we would need to know for 66 (engine, trans, thermactor, AC?, PS? and date estimation)

Typically they are marked on the rear section (same end as the stamped numbering) of the short leaf. Referrign to the "eye" may lead some to think of the bushing eyes formed in the long leaf at front or rear.  Not where 64-68's are typically marked

Have seen two white but dont' know if its a match without more info

The two Stripes i uncovered were toward the Front section of the spring. Unfortunately the numbering is rather un readable at this point. Car is a 289 with the C-4 Auto. No power steering,thermactor or ac. Built jan 21st 66
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Leaf Spring Markings - 66 NJ C code Coupe
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:05:16 PM »
Thanks for looking. Yours are odd/different in a number of ways from the typical. Basically the location - too the front and on the second leaf.

Looked through my collection of pictures and did find a set that someone share from a 66 6 cylinder which would make some sense since your car is a very stripped V8 coupe. Springs are marked as -M springs and they were stamped in March bu a different vendor that many of the springs we see during 1966. They are marked in the same fashion as yours so I would surmise that the location and placement of the stripes you found are typical for that sub contractor and the reason they differ from what we normally see on 66's. Thre are a number of different physical features on springs from this supplier when you compare them to Eaton springs of the period

Hope this helps support what you found as well as explain why there are different

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:08:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »
Excellent. Very helpful! Thanks Jeff.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »

My 1966 Sprint 200 coupe was bucked at Metuchen on Jan 20, 1966.  Just one day before yours, pretty cool.  Found the same stripes on my -M leaf springs in the same position, which makes because as standard coupes they should use the same type rear springs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:23:00 PM by tomtri66 »
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22