Author Topic: 1970 Trap Door Details  (Read 1207 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

1970 Trap Door Details
« on: December 09, 2018, 03:11:22 PM »
I am detailing out my trunk trap door and hardware for same and would like some help regarding the finishes on the door and hardware, as at some point in time someone did some incorrect additional black detailing in the trunk. I assume the trap door was painted a semi gloss black like other interior components as the console etc. Not sure about the hinges assume same, but found an interesting finish (yellow zinc plating) under the black paint on the hinges and am pretty sure its factory original plating on hiunge. The pull handle, what is the finish on it, to me looks like possibly bare metal or plating of some sort can't tell. Pull hand support/lock bracket near PS trunk hinge, not sure assume body color but could be black also. Bottom trap door lock release, believe to be silver cad bracket, with clear zinc pull ring and lock plunger. Any help would be great to establish correct finishes for these components.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:16:17 PM by 1970 Snake »
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Trap Door Details
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »
Trap door would be dark charcoal metallic like the interior panels as a start though Ford referred to the interior as black.

Away from my pictures at the moment but it looks (considering that you don't have a 70 Boss) like someone got crazy with black rattle can.

In the meantime you might want to just start by looking at some of the Deaarborn 70 fastback/sportroofs in the unrestored picture threads as the finsihes will be very similar

Not a ton of great pictures but a few with clues ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
Great thanks Jeff, and yes some idiot painted the car green in the late 1970's early 80's over the original calypso coral, I am guessing the first owner because they had a tiny fender bender front PS, very minor, and am assuming at that time they rattle painted the trunk black. I will look at the pictures an see what I can find, again any other help would be great. I have already painted the charcoal/black door pretty much figured that was correct and plan to re-plate the bottom lock silver cad and hinges di-chromate zinc then go from there, with help from the forum.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »
So after reviewing all the files in the 1970 unrestored section I did find a bit of what I was looking for but also found a number of other things I was not expecting.

Like wheel tub pinch weld covers black and on both sides on a Dearborn built car, a blue paint dot on the taillight housing which I mentioned previously in a thread indicating mine had, rear tie-down on the outside of the spring, other topic question I have asked, these are just a few. Very interesting, I should reference these files more often.

BTW I also noticed that one example DID NOT have the door prop support installed even though it did have the trap door, again interesting.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:38:47 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:45:43 PM »
So after reviewing all the files in the 1970 unrestored section I did find a bit of what I was looking for but also found a number of other things I was not expecting.

Like wheel tub pinch weld covers black and on both sides on a Dearborn built car, a blue paint dot on the taillight housing which I mentioned previously in a thread indicating mine had, rear tie-down on the outside of the spring, other topic question I have asked, these are just a few. Very interesting, I should reference these files more often.

Remember to look at numerous examples since a single one may have been altered or played with though I do try to not post those pictures to that thread. The black may be a result of the rear black our if a Boss or some owner with a rattle can.

BTW I also noticed that one example DID NOT have the door prop support installed even though it did have the trap door, again interesting.

On the  upper picture it could just be a factory oops. Interesting the nutserts are not installed and painted body color so the worker had nothing to bolt the bracket too if it was originally ordered with a fold down
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:30:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 09:23:13 PM »
Just to make a nice clean response

the trap door was painted a semi gloss black like other interior components as the console etc.

Dark Charcoal Metallic

Not sure about the hinges assume same,

They were painted separately from the trap door Dark Charcoal Metallic. But with a "black interior" they would be the same as the trap door. On a different color interior they would be different

The pull handle, what is the finish on it, to me looks like possibly bare metal or plating of some sort can't tell.

P & O  Tested.

Pull hand support/lock bracket near PS trunk hinge, not sure assume body color but could be black also.

The bracket your referring to is finished differently depending on where the car was built. For Dearborn they appear to be P & O

Bottom trap door lock release, believe to be silver cad bracket, with clear zinc pull ring and lock plunger.

Cad or zinc dulled could likely be used for both

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 11:14:14 PM »
Thanks Jeff, perfect exactly what I was looking for, and surprisingly pretty much what I thought they would be but I needed some conformation before proceeding.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:15:05 PM by 1970 Snake »