Author Topic: Missing door tag, '66 GT350H  (Read 2349 times)

Offline herdsman

Missing door tag, '66 GT350H
« on: August 20, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »
So here's something dumb. I've owned my 66 GT350H for ~40 years, and never noticed that the door tag is missing. Most of this time it was in storage, but I'm still surprised that I never noticed this. So...

What's the preferred method/vendor for getting a good repro door tag? Please sanity check what I've got so far for codes, and any fill-in of info would be appreciated. Fastback makes the body code "63". It's a black/gold exterior, so paint would "A". Are there standard codes for the black interior on the GT350? "65"? "64"? I realize the production date is a guess, but I've heard rumblings of production date databases by VIN so at least be an educated guess might be made? (production code from the ford VIN is "140xxx") Is there one DSO for '66 K cars destined to be Shelbys? Or should I guess a DSO of "72", as the VIN indicates it was produced in San Jose. I'm assuming a 3.50 rear end ratio with the automatic, so rear axle code would be "5". Transmission code "6".

TIA
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:09:18 AM by herdsman »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Missing door tag, '66 GT350H
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »
First welcome to the site

No one would expect your car (66 GT350H - 6S687) to still have its Mustang door tag on the car. It was typically removed at Shelby after being pried off and thrown away by a worker. Sometimes they scratched the door edge paint during the process or left one or none of the retaining "rivets" after the process was done.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:43:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 06:52:34 PM »
It was typically removed at Shelby after being pried off and thrown away by a worker.
I've seen a couple of doors without the data plate holes drilled. All I remember is they were white 65 or 66 GT-350s. This was at a local Mustang club car show when I was gathering door data for the "Mustang Production Guide" for Jim Smart. I did not ask for the Ford VIN.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 06:58:54 PM »
I've seen a couple of doors without the data plate holes drilled. All I remember is they were white 65 or 66 GT-350s. This was at a local Mustang club car show when I was gathering door data for the "Mustang Production Guide" for Jim Smart. I did not ask for the Ford VIN.
Jim

Haven't seen that. Maybe they got filled in or they were some early reproductions. Believe they (doors) arrived at the plant with the holes already there
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 07:12:32 PM »
My dad owns 1502 and no door tag is present. I believe the holes are there....
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 08:13:45 PM »
Have hundreds if not possibly a thousand examples in pictures ;) Feel real comfortable with earlier statements :) A couple have been found tossed in the car under the carpet. Have seen a couple of 67's left in place/missed but this is unusual.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 08:34:27 PM »
Haven't seen that. Maybe they got filled in or they were some early reproductions. Believe they (doors) arrived at the plant with the holes already there
+1 . The cars were delivered to SA with door tags. Shelby pried them off sometimes leaving evidence as Jeff mentioned. SA pried off the tags so that there was no confusion with the Shelby VIN tag. It was a very consistent effort given the importance of no confusion. Occasional some were left on by mistake or left under the carpet. My 66 GT350 had tag left under the carpet no doubt lodged there when the carpet was up during over ride traction bar installation. I would strongly advise not to put a repro tag there . You will meet with a lot of push back over it given it is not supposed to be there.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:21:02 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline herdsman

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »
Thanks all for the responses. My door had a tag at one time - one rivet remains, but I didn't realize that the door tags were typically removed by Shelby. Doing that to avoid a potential VIN issue does make sense.

My education continues... ;)