Author Topic: Glue atop 70 Dearborn shock tower brace wire clips?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Bsbeck

Glue atop 70 Dearborn shock tower brace wire clips?
« on: May 02, 2021, 09:36:34 PM »
My first post here so please go easy on me.  I've got a 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator, built on September 29, 1969 at Dearborn.  It's a Ram Air 428 CJ with 4 speed.  My question is this...  Part of the wiring harness runs down the passenger side under the export brace.  There are two clips that hang from the bottom of the export brace holding the wiring harness.  On the top side, each clip has a glob of glue.  Did if come from the factory with that glue or was that added?  The car appears to be 98% original and I got it from the original owner.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:12:29 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Glue atop 70 Dearborn shock tower brace wire clips?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:02:46 PM »
That has to be one of the worst designs Ford ever implemented.  I can't tell you how many 1970's come in with that section of wiring burned due to it dropping on the headers.  Dumb dumb dumb.  At least they dropped that design for 71.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:12:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 10:05:43 PM »
Midlife, I thought the same thing.  So that's why I wondered if the glue was added at the factory to keep the clips from falling through?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:12:46 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 11:14:11 PM »
Welcome to the site. Hope you will find the information and support here helpful in your endeavours relating to original and factory related details for your car

Will look but believe we'll find that it's not something typically done at Dearborn that year

Altered the title since these are not export braces which are one piece but shock tower supports. Two different names for different parts;)

Will move this to the 70 discussion part of the site

Not sure if you have looked through the unrestore picture threads for 70's. See a pair of black ones with no glue on a blue non-Mach fastback/sportroof shown in that section
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:39:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 11:36:13 PM »
Half way through my pictures and I'm finding all unrestored using the black retaining clips when their still present. I think what we have here is someone finding some white replacements and apply glue so they don't fall out like the original black ones did

Just four of the examples I found. Think three of the four are from around the same production period as your car and at least one is a Cougar

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 09:12:04 AM »
Jeff, thank you very much.  I appreciate everyone's help.