Author Topic: 1970 black interior help please.  (Read 2975 times)

Offline tmunn

1970 black interior help please.
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »
This is my first thread and i am trying to figure out how to and what to use to paint my black interior the correct color and have the charcoal or metallic black in the correct spots.would someone post a link to where this is covered.
I would like to use krylon and a top coat of something else if that is deemed appropriate.I can get the industrial krylon locally and was hoping to find and appropriate top coat loacally but open to all advise as i would rather do it only once. :)
Thanks
Terry

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 black interior help please.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:22 AM »
First Terry welcome to the site - glad you joined us

Guess I need to add this topic to the FAQ's for 67-up since its an often discussed topic over the years.

Basically all of the painted panels in your car should be Dark Charcoal Metallic - what Ford called Black that year in Mustangs

You can purchase the paint in rattle cans or in quarts for a spray gun I've found that the rattle can products are often very thin carrying mostly clear with some color and metallic. Because of this many choose to undercoat the panel first with a flat or semi-gloss black first then over coat it with the Charcoal. Couple of light coats since too much paint will fill the grain and produce a flat glossy finish. Same concern with the black - strip the panels first to maximise the grain (as original) then add just enough paint to coat the panel then add the Charcoal.

The dash pad extensions (four triangle panels below the tips of the dash pad) are shot with the same color only slightly flatter
Some prior posts the Search feature returned

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2343.msg12239#msg12239

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1336.msg6820#msg6820

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4058.msg31901#msg31901

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:27:18 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline blueboss

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 09:07:54 AM »
I know this is a very old thread but have one follow up question.

Is the same charcoal metallic used on the bottom of the door as well?

Didn't see it referenced but could have missed that.

Thanks again for great site and information!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 02:54:02 PM »
I know this is a very old thread but have one follow up question.

Is the same charcoal metallic used on the bottom of the door as well?

Didn't see it referenced but could have missed that.

Thanks again for great site and information!

Depends on which interior you have.

If standard interior with the narrow door panels and the removable thin painted top edge panel then yes if its a Mach I, Grande or such with the full sized door panel then no

This goes for all colors

Will try and post some pictures is a while
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 09:02:12 PM »
As promised an example of each. On the ones with painted lower surface the interior paint was applied first, then masked of before the exterior color was applied. The interior paint does not go all the way to the weather strip retainer and how it was masked will differ between plants so would have to know your cars details before we could offer any details on that

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:07:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline blueboss

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 04:32:51 PM »
Thanks ! Standard interior for me on this car!

Thanks.

Offline BHStang

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 12:57:44 PM »

The dash pad extensions (four triangle panels below the tips of the dash pad) are shot with the same color only slightly flatter
Some prior posts the Search feature returned

Jeff are we sure these plastic dash parts were painted same as the metal dash frame?  Or maybe only on black interior cars?  My June of 70 DAP Mach 1 had a Green interior and those 4 plastic triangles were green molded plastic.  My understanding is those plastic pieces are to simulate extension of the dash pad over the dash frame and thus should match dash pad in color as they did on my Mach 1.
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 04:25:02 PM »
Jeff are we sure these plastic dash parts were painted same as the metal dash frame?  Or maybe only on black interior cars?

The thread is focused on "black" (Dark Charcoal Metalic) interiors  for 1970 the four extensions sort of match the dash pad color on Mustangs They were sprayed a flatter finish for some reasons

Allot of other colored interiors also used black dash pads so the finish of the dash painted parts are the same as the "black " interior ones. Examples, whit and red interiors

My June of 70 DAP Mach 1 had a Green interior and those 4 plastic triangles were green molded plastic.

So they are green, front and back and if you cut through them, drill a hole in them or deeply scratch them the material is still green?

My understanding is those plastic pieces are to simulate extension of the dash pad over the dash frame and thus should match dash pad in color as they did on my Mach 1.

Agreed as shown below on original cars

Jeff Speegle

Offline BHStang

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 09:04:02 PM »
Im looking through the old parts to see if I still have it.  I remember looking close it was green both sides and sure seemed like molded color.  I have seen a few colored originals for sale too and they are also colored both sides.  Painted or not through the point for clarity is that they were color keyed to the dash pad and not charcoal. 
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 11:57:29 PM »
Painted or not through the point for clarity is that they were color keyed to the dash pad and not charcoal.

Agreed. The color of the extensions depended on what color the interior code was. Could be charcoal or dash pad color. Here are two interior options were the interior code was not "Black" but the extensions were black/charcoal. In these the extensions matched the dash pad

Jeff Speegle