Author Topic: 64 1/2 through 66 Console Features and Differences  (Read 3992 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
64 1/2 through 66 Console Features and Differences
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
It's been suggested that an article on the features and differences of the 64-66 Consoles be assembled and posted in the Library.

I don't have as many examples as I once did so I though we could use the community to collect the details we're going to need - so that is the purose of this thread. ;)

We're going to need pictures of (from memory sure I will miss something)

Hardware -
- Main body mounting screws
- Long version storage compartment mounting screws
- Rear lamp housing mounting screws
- Trim plate forward screws
- Main trim plate Sheet metal nuts
- Wire retainer to main body screws
- Storage door hinge springs
- Rear lamp lens screws
- Wire retainers
(Sure Jim will provide all the related part numbers to go with these pieces ;)

Parts
- Main body (plastic) Long (early and later versions) and short versions. Standard and convertible versions
- Main trim - Wood grain and camera
- Shifter bezel - Automatic and stick. Early and later version of the automatic
- Storage door (wood grain and camera finish)
- Long version mounting bracket
- Ash tray and covers (wood grain and camera versions)
- Rear lamp - plastic and metal versions
- Rear lamp lens
- Wiring harness - Early/late as well as long and short versions
- Shift indicator (automatic) early and late versions
- Auto shifter indicator and seal bracket/mount (know there is a better term for this - can't remember it at the moment :(

Tips and tricks to repair plastic cracks or burns.

Will see if I still have the patterns for cutting a coupe/fastback console body to fit a convertible

And finally I think I can find some TSB's with related changes and info

Thanks to all that help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 64 1/2 through 66 Console Features and Differences
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »
For any of you providing pictures  - especially close up individual pieces - its best to place them on a off white or light brown back group. Unprinted cardboard works well ;)
Jeff Speegle

Online jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »
Here's a start. These spreadsheets are a top town breakdown and a bill of materials of 64 to 66 Mustang consoles. They were scanned to get them into a usable format. It is a work in progress. The part numbers were found in the Mustang Assembly Manuals, Ford Car Parts and direct observation. Descriptions were determined via AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners and direct observations. Already I see that there are a couple of discrepancies, notably is the different part numbers for 64 and early 65 full length consoles and for the full length console used in later 65 and all of 66. Previous discussion has addressed the implementation of the two different styles as based on using older inventory first. I do not have much information about the short consoles used with air conditioned cars. Comments are appreciated.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Little Guy

• 64 1/2 Original owner
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »
Here are some photo's of my original console.  I just happened to have it out so I could work on the radio.  It's all original except for the white lens at back end.  The only part number I could find is C4ZB-6506021-AW on the metal part behind the compartment, it shows in one of the pictures.[/img]

Offline Little Guy

• 64 1/2 Original owner
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
More pictures of my original console.

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »
Here's a few pictures of an original automatic shifter plate (C4ZB-7B233) from a late 65.

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »
Here's my previous post on the console body (short) for a/c but I would imagine a long console would be the same. There is a FoMoCo mark embossed/stamped in the plastic body a few inches in front of the ash tray cut out. You can't see it unless you remove the long trim plate. Not sure how common this is. My car is a 64 1/2 convertible but I'm the 4th owner, so I can't be sure it was with the car originally. The tag wiring on the underside shows C4ZB-13B711-B.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.msg31222#msg31222

Chris

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:24:23 PM by Chris »
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »
Been putting away a few pictures and data points for the possible change over of the early automatic shift plates and lens and thought I would post, to this thread, what I have to this point. First wrote of this difference back in the early 80's in one of the first Mustang Monthly's when they change from just ads to ads and articles. So have been following this a long time.

In reply #5 mjd 65 posted some nice pictures of the later version of the automatic shift plate. As you can see on the divider bar between the shift arm and the gear indicator lens there are three raised bars to indicate three specific gears. On an early version these bars are lacking and apparently added for some reason later as a running change. The later design continued into and through 66 production.

One of the challenges of trying to track details like this is that so many owners added consoles to their cars over the years and you also have the dealer installed option,  when new or within the first few years. Each can provide false data points so volume helps

Side by side of the two details

The lens does not have the red arrows that would be illuminated when a gear was chosen. Yellow arrow

And the three raised bars - Green arrows

Did find one example which MAY provide an idea the general period of the change since it has the earlier lens and the later shift plate (5R1508xx)

So far data points include

Earlier version shift plate

5F07F1000xx
5F08F1032xx

None found on a San Jose car yet.

Later version shift plate Don't include late cars since they would not help us focus on the possible changer period.

5F07F1176xx (may have been added)
5F09C1769xx
5F08F1781xx

5R07F1001xx
5R07F1026xx
5R07C1343xx
5R09C1508xx
5R07C1617xx
5R07C1779xx

Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 09:54:30 PM »
So seeing the pictures of an early console with the light towards the front, it looks like the type of assembly used for the floor automatic shift.  I'm curious how this light came on? Was it always on when the headlight switch was pulled and the compartment door was open or closed?  Because I assume the later ones with the light on top and the copper contact plate only comes on when the front compartment door is open, correct?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 10:24:35 PM »
For others this is picture shows the location of the two styles of compartment lights that Chris is referring to

Earlier version - Blue arrow

Later version - Purple arrow

So seeing the pictures of an early console with the light towards the front, it looks like the type of assembly used for the floor automatic shift.  I'm curious how this light came on? Was it always on when the headlight switch was pulled and the compartment door was open or closed?

Sorry don't recall. Been too many decades since I've owned an early car with a console to recall that detail. Wiring diagram might provide the answer

......... Because I assume the later ones with the light on top and the copper contact plate only comes on when the front compartment door is open, correct?

Yes just a basic contract switch sort of arrangement 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:45:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 10:38:11 PM »
Jeff I thought the early was the blue and later was the purple?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 10:46:23 PM »
Jeff I thought the early was the blue and later was the purple?

Sorry caught by you - now text corrected by me. was already thinking about my next post should have focused

Though your response was going to be how I found a console with both style installed.  Don't' know how this happened. May have been during the transition.  Not like someone would add the later version considering the staple and the hole - not an simple quick task
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:48:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Scott302

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
Found when I was gathering samples to reproduce the contact.  Two variations.  Note the direction of the "clips" at the rear of the contact.  Unfortunately the samples came from consoles in a pile so I cannot gauge which is early and which is late.  Also note the red painted one was also secured with a staple where the blue painted one was not.  Both clips were loose in the console hole.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776