Author Topic: Late Build 65 Dearborn FB Decklid  (Read 931 times)

Offline ajd350

Late Build 65 Dearborn FB Decklid
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:54:43 PM »
My Dearborn 65 Fastback has a production date of 18T and has a 66-style decklid. I  have owned the car since 1977 and it had one repaint over the original factory paint in 1976. No jambs or inside the trunk were done and the spare tire sticker was still intact as well as the bolts still having undisturbed paint on them. The date stamp is 6 13 D3 on the lid. When I disassembled the car for restoration 3 years ago, I elected to leave the decklid on the car and just scuffed the paint to leave the bolts undisturbed. When the exterior was stripped, the paint/primer strata matched the surrounding panels The car has no evidence of repair from damage and retains all of it's original sheet metal inside and out except for the hood.

My question is, have others like this been observed on other unmolested cars? At this point since the car is done concours, I am not going to 'break the seal' by loosening the bolts to check for paint under the hinge.
MCA #2254

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Late Build 65 Dearborn FB Decklid
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »
My Dearborn 65 Fastback has a production date of 18T (June 18th) and has a 66-style decklid. ........................ The date stamp is 6 13 D3 on the lid. .......................
My question is, have others like this been observed on other unmolested cars?......................

The spread between your projected build date and the trunk lid stamping date is similar to other fastback trunk lid dates I have for late spring 65 Dearborn

Looking at my pictures I've got no shots of the undersides of the trunk lid for any of the June built Dearborn cars. But would think that if you have that date on the trunk lid then yes the very late cars at that plant received that style trunk lid

Looking at very early 66 Dearborn fastbacks I don't see any 65 style used during that period - just double checking ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)