Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Drivetrain / Re: 289 Cast Iron Water Pump Hardware -
« Last post by gjz30075 on Today at 12:26:16 PM »
Nice, thank you!
1970 Mustang / Re: need help on install lower rocker mouldings
« Last post by RichK1 on Today at 12:07:00 PM »
No problem JOE, glad to help you out. I uploaded a shot of the inside of the door shell I used for a template. Note the 2 inch cloth tape that covers the holes after the moldings are attached. Good luck on your project!.......CHRIS
inside and outside templates off a pair of original 70 mach1 doors.
Anyone still have a template saved ?
1970 Mustang / Re: What is the correct paint for Mach 1 rocker mouldings?
« Last post by Coutu on Today at 11:54:31 AM »
Last one,
« Last post by Coutu on Today at 11:53:40 AM »
Looks like some of the pictures didn't go through,
« Last post by Coutu on Today at 11:52:57 AM »
Just figured I'd follow up with this thread to help others in the future, as I've had one heck of a time gathering this information from bits and pieces of different forums, articles and my own car. 

I ran across paint code PPG 33053 "Medium Gray Poly", had it mixed locally in a SS Urethane, compared it to the back sides of my rocker moldings, and am very pleased with the match. I believe the existing paint on the backs of the moldings is original, as it's a low mileage all original car. The color is also consistent with the paint under the removable letters and chrome trim pieces throughout- which have never been removed before me. Attached are pictures for comparison showing the backside of a few different pieces of the rocker moldings. Also attached is a comparison of the PPG and the AP-GPA sold by NPD.

The only caveat to the PPG 33053 is the finish- most SS urethanes are a glossy finish, so I will have to bring that down to an "eggshell" or a "near sheen" by having them add flattener. I will update this thread on the amount of flattener used on the final batch when I get a few more samples mixed up and sprayed.

More to follow,

Matthew

1968 Mustang / Re: 68 Carburetor Details 2V Heater Hose Bracket
« Last post by dkknab on Today at 11:29:59 AM »
Dichromate can be light or dark. The one in Marcus's video is of the lighter version. I have seen a number of them that were dichromate. You said you cleaned yours with evaporust. Evaporust will quickly remove the dichromate leaving the zinc.

Thank you Marty. Clearly my inability to discriminate between finishes showed off in my previous post. So let me correct me earlier post and I went ahead and did a light chromate coating for just about 10 seconds total dipping a few times. Here's the result installed.
« Last post by ruppstang on Today at 08:56:25 AM »
Thank you Marcus.  Here's a screenshot at about that time.  Clearly no yellow on that heat shield.  Especially as compared to the parts in the shot that are. I guess I'm putting mine back on as is.

I'll be sure to refer to your video.  Have you finished and posted other ones of other parts of the car?

Dichromate can be light or dark. The one in Marcus's video is of the lighter version. I have seen a number of them that were dichromate. You said you cleaned yours with evaporust. Evaporust will quickly remove the dichromate leaving the zinc.
« Last post by dkknab on Today at 08:25:10 AM »
David....Im going to keep referring you back to the same information on this car because like I already said this is as close of a reference to what you have as possible.  This exact detail you can see in this video here.  Go to the 10:51 mark if you dont want to watch the whole thing. 

Thank you Marcus.  Here's a screenshot at about that time.  Clearly no yellow on that heat shield.  Especially as compared to the parts in the shot that are. I guess I'm putting mine back on as is.  I stand corrected by Marty. It appears this shield is light yellow so I'll go ahead and lightly chromate mine.

I'll be sure to refer to your video.  Have you finished and posted other ones of other parts of the car?
« Last post by Anghelrestorations on June 02, 2024, 11:14:06 PM »
David....Im going to keep referring you back to the same information on this car because like I already said this is as close of a reference to what you have as possible.  This exact detail you can see in this video here.  Go to the 10:51 mark if you dont want to watch the whole thing. 

Wanted Ads / Re: Space Saver Spare Tie Down and Nut
« Last post by Bob Gaines on June 02, 2024, 11:10:28 PM »
This is a picture of the special J bolt for space saver . It is designated as "C" in the quad. It is from Scott Fullers Reproductions  You might check with him to see if he has any more. If not I may have a extra I keep as a spare so check with Scott first.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10