Author Topic: 70 Boss 302 tail light bezels color  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Bossman963

70 Boss 302 tail light bezels color
« on: July 30, 2018, 01:13:30 AM »
I'm  sure this has been asked before but couldn't find it- I was wondering what the color formula on the black for the Boss 302 tail light bezels color and also the argent color that I side the cone area of the bezels

anyone with the formula or exact colors would be appreciated so I may get some made from the local paint shop

Mike
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:32:52 AM by J_Speegle »
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Boss 302 tail light bezels color
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 01:58:03 AM »
The silver is the typical light argent or just "agrent"  that was used for so many years for trim that had the silver painted detail. Don't have a current formula but was available (may still be) from Ford

The black use to be PPG/Ditzler DDL 9423 but more currently I believe many are just using the Sems black others have used PPG satin black. Can't be certain what is available or legal locally for you.

Your going for a non-textured final look as a contrast to all of the textured black on the car

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DougDyar

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
This has been one of the most frustrating items in the restoration of my car. One bezel required three complete paintings before I was happy with it!

As you can see in the pic, the black covers the "lip" of the opening.

I spray painted mine with Motorcraft brand argent paint first. 3-4 light coats, 10-15 minutes apart, to avoid runs. Just spray the insides of the openings and don't worry about overspray. No masking needed for the first step. Google "motorcraft argent" for a source. I bought a can on Amazon a few months ago. I let it dry a couple of weeks, but I probably didn't have to wait that long.

Now comes the hard part. Go to an auto body supply store and buy a roll of 1/8" fine line tape. Don't cheap out here. Buy the best tape they have. Carefully apply the tape around the opening, just inside the "lip". Leave maybe a 1/16" gap down from the "lip". I used a single strip to avoid any joints where black paint could seep behind it. Be very careful in the corners as the tape will stretch and a gap will let some black paint in.

Now use normal 3/4" masking tape to apply 3" +/- pieces of paper to the fine line tape. I cut the strips from printer paper, creating pieces with a perfectly straight edge and long enough to cover the  area and wrap around the bottom. I cut 5-6 pieces for each of the openings. But you can use any paper. Butt the top edge of the paper up against the bottom of the fine line tape. Then use masking tape to attach the paper strips to the fine line tape. The paper strips cover the entire sides of the opening below the fine line tape. The object is to completely mask the argent areas while avoiding having any masking tape sticking to the fresh argent paint.

As was mentioned above, the matte black has no texture. I used John Deere Blitz Black in a rattle can, but there are other acceptable paints. Let it dry 24-36 hours, take a deep breath, carefully peel off the paper strips, and then remove the fine line tape.

Hopefully you'll be rewarded with blacked-out bezels even nicer than factory!
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »
Thanks, Doug will look into it
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 11:39:28 PM »
Doug as I did the exact opposite of you and paint the ARGENT 1ST, THEN TAPED OFF THE ARGENT SINCE THERE'S A LIP TO USE AND SPRAYED IT WITH SPRUCE 38-88 BLACK ( MATCHES THE SEMI-GLOSS 1613 TO A SPOT ON COLOR, LET IT DRY AFTER 24 HRS AND MASKED OFF THE ARGENT, SPRAY THE BLACK SPRUCE AND THEN AS A FINAL COAT USED VHT SATIN CLEAR FOR A COATING SO  PAINT WOULDN'T CHIP AND LOOKS REALLY GOOD- PICS ATTACHED