Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Wanted Ads / Re: WTB Cardboard Concours Correct for 68 no AC
« Last post by dkknab on Today at 08:31:37 AM »
No one currently repros the plenum in cardboard. You would have to source a viable original one for that. That is the best way. Good ones can be 150-300.00. with time and effort a damaged one can be paper Mache repaired back into the running.

Thanks Bob.  After I took mine out and noticed it was beat up I did a quick search and discovered it didn't appear one of available.  I put mine back in the car.  The good news is almost all the broken or previously repaired sections of the cardboard are out of sight.  Being under the dash helps.

I'll stay on the lookout for an original that could be repaired and still open to someone who has one they can pay with. The part number is C4ZA-18471-C. Does that mean the plenum fits in many year cars or does the ending C mean there are changes just for the 68?
1966 Shelby / Re: Mixing Insructions GT350H Bronze Gold Powder
« Last post by chsproscon on Today at 08:09:49 AM »
Hi Bob, Do you have your painter's GT350H Bronze Gold Powder supplier and the number to order from your painter used for your application so that I can order a current up to date powder for my application?  I thought you were going to supply your source but it has been over 10 days.  Please help.  Thanks
1970 Boss / Re: Shaker vacuum line
« Last post by RocketScientist on Today at 02:10:31 AM »
Dan, I found the kits to be random - one had the line too short and the other just right and there was nothing on the packaging to tell the difference.
Brad
Im pretty sure I saw someone with a low mileage original 68 Mustang C code somewhere on this forum.  It might be in the.......unrestored picture thread section of this forum if you look there.  Also sure that exact detail is in photos or maybe someone posted a YouTube video on that car.  But Im not sure. 
1968 Mustang / Re: 68 289 Engine Painting Details Metuchen Plant
« Last post by J_Speegle on May 30, 2024, 11:21:48 PM »
But I'm guessing it would hold up well on the clamps.  That hose had clearly been replaced and had the wrong clamps.  I've since replaced the hose and clamps but haven't painted them yet. I'm in the process of replacing the heater hoses and with that done guessing I should paint the bypass hose and clamps too.

Only if you want to call it a restoration and not provide a reason for viewers to question your work or effort.

In the unrestored example you found it appears hoses and clamps have been changed (most cars have) since new plus you don't IMHO want to base choice on a single example if you can help it in any way

BTW the details on this subject would not differ depending on car assembly plant "68 289 Engine Painting Details Metuchen Plant" since all small blocks would have been built at the same engine plant
1970 Mustang / Re: 1970 Styled Steel Wheel Details
« Last post by J_Speegle on May 30, 2024, 11:18:20 PM »
Thanks Jeff, glad I second guessed myself before I mounted the tires, and it makes sense as the brushed aluminum finish of the trim ring/ cap finish would be close in color to the argent but be different enough to look "off".

You IMHO should certainly not use the term "argent" to identify the color since there, as mentioned, are so many different ones and most will use it to describe the silver/gray that goes with the cars they have or build (65-68 the lighter almost rattle can chrome paint - later cars the darker color)

By the way the first example shown in post one is a Ford picture but likely a show preproduction advertising car
Wanted Ads / Re: WTB Cardboard Concours Correct for 68 no AC
« Last post by Bob Gaines on May 30, 2024, 10:51:19 PM »
My plenum is showing it's age and could be replaced.  All the ones I found on NPD are plastic.  Need the proper cardboard one.
No one currently repros the plenum in cardboard. You would have to source a viable original one for that. That is the best way. Good ones can be 150-300.00. with time and effort a damaged one can be paper Mache repaired back into the running.  A alternative is to take the black plastic one and bead blast or sand blast it with course media to roughen up the slick surface. If done properly it can turn the the black plastic to a grey and give it a texture that may fool someone looking for the typical black plastic one. don't forget to protect the rivets so their finish does not get compromised. The results can vary depending on expertise and material used.
Wanted Ads / WTB Cardboard Concours Correct for 68 no AC
« Last post by dkknab on May 30, 2024, 10:23:17 PM »
My plenum is showing it's age and could be replaced.  All the ones I found on NPD are plastic.  Need the proper cardboard one.
1970 Mustang / Re: What is the correct paint for Mach 1 rocker mouldings?
« Last post by Bob Gaines on May 30, 2024, 06:59:51 PM »
Here a few pics of my original unrestored 70 Mach 1 rocker moldings. I have owned the car since 9/73 when it had 19,000 original miles. These are how they look after 54 years. My car was built 3/10/70 at Dearborn.

That looks dark to me. They have probably lighten up a little too after 54 years of exposure to the elements. Computer monitors has effects on shade too.
1968 Mustang / Re: 68 289 Engine Painting Details Metuchen Plant
« Last post by Bob Gaines on May 30, 2024, 06:55:49 PM »
But I'm guessing it would hold up well on the clamps.  That hose had clearly been replaced and had the wrong clamps.  I've since replaced the hose and clamps but haven't painted them yet. I'm in the process of replacing the heater hoses and with that done guessing I should paint the bypass hose and clamps too.
That is if you want it like original and do not want any deductions for that again in a concours original venue. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10