Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1968 Mustang / Re: 68 Engine Compartment Wiring Alternator Regulator Clip
« Last post by RoyceP on Today at 04:55:48 PM »
  I can't find the part number for this clip and it is odd that I have this clip and not the strap.

I have an extra one. PM me if you need it.

Misc Items / Backup lights for 1969 mk 1
« Last post by Willy 1 on Today at 04:19:11 PM »
Need a little information if possible. Doing a restoration on my car and am trying to make it so the backup lights will work. Little history on the car 1969 mk ! Q code top loader transmission Hurst comp plus shifter. The backup lights have never worked since I have owned the car. Found out why no switch on the shifter and no wiring from the firewall. I see on some of the shifters they had a designated place for the switch to go but on this one nothing. Can anyone show me a picture of what bracket would be needed to mount the switch and if they are available. I also see there are a couple of different types of switches. I would like to stay as close to original as possible. Any information or pictures would be helpful. Thanks
« Last post by dkknab on Today at 03:09:40 PM »
Back to your original problem, the specified strap, 376914-S, as specified in the 1968 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AMAM0023) page 8, Ford drawing E8-8115-1 (since corrected), view A, is what I would expect to be used if I were judging your Mustang.
You state the mounting hole is too big and the strap "won't remain". That is an indication of two situations - the mounting hole is too big, or the mounting "stud" is too small in diameter.
Solutions:
1. Make the hole smaller. This is not as difficult as it sounds, if the car was going to be repainted. With a torch and two ball peen hammers, the mounting hole could be heated and "deformed" enough smaller to retain the "stud". It's a technique I've seen done at a local body shop for sheet metal screws that have "stripped their mounting holes.
2. Make the mounting "stud" larger. In this case, cutting a slit about 3/4 of the way up the "stud" with a very thin saw, thinner than a hack saw, or a "Dremmel" cutting disc, to make two "tabs" and then prying apart the two "tabs", will make the mounting "stud" larger in diameter. This "prying" could be done before the strap is installed, or after, with a small flat blade screwdriver. If you apply some 3M8008 or 3M08581 black weather strip adhesive, then cover your "artwork" with undercoating, it will hold (and I won't tell). If you think the strap might still come out, cut a tiny wedge from another mounting strap and inset that into the newly cut slit, then apply the adhesive. This will work if in the near or distant future, the strap is not intended to be removed.
(Think outside the box.)
Jim

Thank you for those suggestions.  I've been trying to come up with a way to use that strap. I measured my hole and it is. 28 inches as opposed to .25 inches for the holes using the strap. So clearly the hole is too big for the standard strap.

I've used the first technique in the past with holes that are too large for sheet metal screws.  Typically with them there is metal around the hole that has expanded and can be beaten back to size.  I've not tried to "deform" the hole to make it smaller though.

As Jeff mentioned earlier,  it would be good to investigate if this was typical of other NJ cars and my loom t-clip is ok or was it done by a PO.

That being said does anyone with a 68 NJ hand pictures of their regulator area that shows the wiring to the right of the regulator as you look at it from inside the engine compartment that you could share?
« Last post by jwc66k on Today at 02:04:59 PM »
Below my alternator regulator where the wire harness attaches next to the radiator there is a clip.  In the assembly manual page E8-1115-1 View A there is supposed to be a wire strap item 6.  I've attached that view.  In my instance there is a white inline wire clip that is a part of the wire wrap. My clip is broken.  So I replaced it with a strap but the hole is too large so the strap won't remain in place. 
Back to your original problem, the specified strap, 376914-S, as specified in the 1968 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AMAM0023) page 8, Ford drawing E8-8115-1 (since corrected), view A, is what I would expect to be used if I were judging your Mustang.
You state the mounting hole is too big and the strap "won't remain". That is an indication of two situations - the mounting hole is too big, or the mounting "stud" is too small in diameter.
Solutions:
1. Make the hole smaller. This is not as difficult as it sounds, if the car was going to be repainted. With a torch and two ball peen hammers, the mounting hole could be heated and "deformed" enough smaller to retain the "stud". It's a technique I've seen done at a local body shop for sheet metal screws that have "stripped their mounting holes.
2. Make the mounting "stud" larger. In this case, cutting a slit about 3/4 of the way up the "stud" with a very thin saw, thinner than a hack saw, or a "Dremmel" cutting disc, to make two "tabs" and then prying apart the two "tabs", will make the mounting "stud" larger in diameter. This "prying" could be done before the strap is installed, or after, with a small flat blade screwdriver. If you apply some 3M8008 or 3M08581 black weather strip adhesive, then cover your "artwork" with undercoating, it will hold (and I won't tell). If you think the strap might still come out, cut a tiny wedge from another mounting strap and inset that into the newly cut slit, then apply the adhesive. This will work if in the near or distant future, the strap is not intended to be removed.
(Think outside the box.)
Jim
The 13A506 basic part number description is "Retainer - Rear Lamp Wiring", not the generic term used by cgfordparts.com.   The name would imply a pretty specific use case, although the design has nothing limiting it to the rear of the car.   As can be read in the 65-72 MPC (picture attached), the engineers found the part versatile enough to use in other use cases, including vacuum lines and the antenna lead. 
« Last post by dkknab on Today at 11:14:41 AM »
I think I may have found the T clip. Deadnutson.com has it but it seems the picture doesn't accurately depict the part they have.

I found another option at cgfordparts.com. I've ordered a few and we'll see when it arrives if it's like the original.  The Ford part number they list is C7AZ-13A506-S and it's called a Wire Loom Clip.
1967 Mustang / Re: 67 fastback decklid
« Last post by 67gta289 on Today at 09:55:23 AM »
Some more pictures, including the fastback unique style of weatherstrip.
1967 Mustang / 67 fastback decklid
« Last post by 67gta289 on Today at 09:53:50 AM »
Found this 67 fastback decklid stashed in the back of  a van, not down by the river, but in a junkyard. 

I noticed that there was a J-nut installed on the hinge in a location that would appear to limit the opening of the lid.  See the second picture, highlighted in red.

No evidence of respray - nut has original color paint on it.

Hardly a common place to get a picture when installed on a vehicle.  There's probably only one person I'm aware of that would get a shot of this area. You know who you are lol.

Probably a Dearborn car due to the Michigan location, but that is of course no guarantee.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10