Author Topic: Anybody w/ 67-68 factory dual exhaust cars apart?  (Read 10045 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Anybody w/ 67-68 factory dual exhaust cars apart?
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
Looking for details of original muffler hangers. Original orientation of parts/pieces assembled and disassembled. Photo's of original installations and original parts would be nice. Photos of floorboards too. (either assembled or disassembled)
Can reach me by private messaging if you preffer.

Thanks, Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Anybody w/ 67-68 factory dual exhaust cars apart?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Both 67 & 68?

Scott does have a fair amount of original examples shown side by side with the reproductions. Will start looking through my pictures for additional ones

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/1967MustangGT289.html
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:10:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »
Here is a start - all 67's

Rear Mount/Hanger Nuts

Threw in a couple of extras - while I was scanning through the pictures

Hope these help

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Thanks very much, exactly what I was looking to see details of. For example, I need to make another line for between the 67 rear mounted Proportioning valve and the rear brake hose. Nice to see it in there. Other details not seen still looking for, like orientation (rotation of clamps) at muffler, at Y-pipe, stuff like that. It looks like you posted a picture or two from 'other than San Jose' cars, very nice collection Jeff. I had before seen the Scott Fuller pictures, that did help with the unassembled pictures, so nice having a link to them.

Were 68's significantly different? Most parts listings do not differentiate from 67-69 very much.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »
Thanks very much, exactly what I was looking to see details of. For example, I need to make another line for between the 67 rear mounted Proportioning valve and the rear brake hose. Nice to see it in there. Other details not seen still looking for, like orientation (rotation of clamps) at muffler, at Y-pipe, stuff like that.

Couple pictures there of the muffler and H pipe clamp orientation but will look for soem more

It looks like you posted a picture or two from 'other than San Jose' cars, very nice collection Jeff. ............

Nope all San Jose cars in that post. One or more were Shelby's so the tips were different

Were 68's significantly different? Most parts listings do not differentiate from 67-69 very much.

Haven't done a side by side - never needed to since its easier just to focus on the details I'm working on.   
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »
I have again been reviewing Scott Fuller's photographs for reference, but I do not intend (at least not yet) on spending 3K on the exhaust system so obviously I need to sacrifice on some things in the "factory correctness" line of thinking.

I need to either make or buy everything from the engine, to the chrome tips (I have the chrome tips and I am an experienced pipe bender who owns a muffler shop)

H-PIPE...I am BUYING this one, not worth making myself. (been there, done that, not fun)

On HARDWARE:
Looking at NPD 2014 catalog pg's 153 (for quantity of 6 clamps #5A231-16D) Pg. 155, 67-69 dual original style reproduction  (for the Hanger kit #5256-7K) and pg.156, (for quantity of 2 horseshoe clamps # 5A231-4) & Details of 67-70 transverse hangers and hardware. (various images across the page, but would need to contact NPD to verify things like if the"Hanger Kit", which I read the image states comes "with clamps", but is it a compilation of same items pictured on pg. 156 as "concours", or just a generic match up of the same) It's all a bit confusing Mostly since items are not pictured together and information is scattered across 3 pages.
Does anyone know if these items are sufficient to consider as "concours correct" as stated in catalog?

On RESONATOR PIPES, MUFFLER & TAILPIPES
Does anyone sell just the resonators WITH the brackets already in place? Or maybe just the resonator pipes by themselves?

I have the bend cards to pressure-bend the tailpipes as well as the over-the-axle pipes and the connecting pipes to the resonators, but my bend card instructions call for eliminating the resonator, making one continuous pipe and re-using the original brackets off the original resonators, which naturally, these brackets do not exist.
I also have a reproduction OE style muffler, though using it really isn't a requirement, simply a possible savings if I can "build my own resonator pipes" Reproduction tailpipes look to be available that are inexpensive enough to consider just "buying" them. Making the tailpipes myself if almost like "free" using cut-off scraps from previous jobs.

Building my own resonator pipes is not really my first choice. I CAN do it, but time is money too. Then there is the reality of making the welds look "show quality" and I rank myself as a mediocre welder. 

Any recommendations on best path to go?

Richard
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:16:56 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
Richard, I would think that making your own system would leave you exhausted ::)  Sorry, you put the ball on the tee and I had to smack it.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
Richard, I would think that making your own system would leave you exhausted ::)  Sorry, you put the ball on the tee and I had to smack it.

Sounds like what I say when I do custom exhaust work. Things like "What an exhausting job THAT was!"
;)
Richard Urch

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »
Here are a few shots of my Sept. 1966 San Jose Convertible's dual exhaust system prior to restoration.  Please note: the original pipes and most of the clamps had been replaced, and the muffler and quad exhaust tips were missing - but the transverse hangers, the L-brackets, and the J-brackets were all still there...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
And here’s what I did to try to replicate the original dual exhaust system on a limited budget (however, if money were no object, I would have definitely gone 100% with Scott Fuller - his reproduction quality is excellent, and he was very helpful & promptly answered all of my questions):

From Scott Fuller
Part # EX-MU3         1967 2-inch Transverse Muffler (date coded August 1966)
Part # EX-MC5         1967-1973 Mustang 2-inch tailpipe band clamp (2 required)
Part # EX-MC6         1967/68/69 Mustang Tailpipe/Tip Horseshoe Clamp (2 required)
Part # EX-RB1          1967-69 Resonator/Intermediate Pipe Bracket-to-Hanger Bolts (4 required)

From NPD
Part # 5210-15        1967 Dual Exhaust Kit (I didn't use the NPD muffler – see “EX-MU3” above)
Part # 5246-4B        1967 390 Dual Exhaust H-Pipe (the 289 H-Pipe is a different part number)
Part # 5A231-16D    2-inch Exhaust Clamps (6 required)
Part # 5266-3B        J-Hanger Bracket (2 required)
Part # 5260-3A        J-Hanger Bracket Insulator (2 required)
Part # 5A246-4B      Dual Exhaust Transverse Hanger (RH)
Part # 5A246-4C      Dual Exhaust Transverse Hanger (LH)

The pair of 1967 GT (rolled edge) quad exhaust tips were repros from Tony Branda, and the rest of the attaching hardware (nuts and bolts for the L-brackets, etc.) were from AMK.

I bought the NPD Dual Exhaust Kit (5210-15) mainly for the resonators, as they look pretty close to the originals, and already have the mounting brackets on them.  My car is a 390, but I believe the '67 dual exhaust 289 uses the same kit...

I reused the original transverse hanger retainers, as well as the L-brackets that attach to the rear frame near the rear shackles.   I saw that Scott Fuller recently began reproducing the L-brackets (EX-RH4A & EX-RH4B) and as usual, they look very good…

The grand total was just under $1,600 (and a good chunk of that was because I splurged for the $700, date coded muffler from Scott), but I’m very happy with the results!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:56:17 PM by Paperback Writer »
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 05:20:41 PM »
Looks like what I am shooting for, though I might "cheap out" on the muffler. I called NPD earlier today to ask if the sold just the resonator pipes out of that system. Answer was NO. No special orders of the sort. Whole kit or nothing. I also had resigned to probably use ALL of the best stuff from NPD on the hangers and all, it looks like they are carrying what is priced like the Scott Fuller rear J and insulators, though not the L brackets.

Still hunting a source for resonator pipes by themselves for now, but may end up resigning to buy most of the same as you, Paperback W.

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »
Well, if you're going to go for a less expensive muffler anyway, then you might as well buy the 5210-15 kit from NPD.  The muffler in the kit is at least presentable...

You could also save another $80 by going with the lower quality NPD L-brackets, as these really aren't that noticeable on a finished car.  I can't vouch for how easily they will bolt up to the frame rail and J-bracket insulators, but they can be easily swapped-out if you decide to upgrade to the concours-correct ones that Scott offers at a later date...

Good luck!

BTW - Here's a better shot of the NPD resonators on my car...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 07:29:32 AM »
Well, if you're going to go for a less expensive muffler anyway, then you might as well buy the 5210-15 kit from NPD.  The muffler in the kit is at least presentable...

You could also save another $80 by going with the lower quality NPD L-brackets, as these really aren't that noticeable on a finished car.  I can't vouch for how easily they will bolt up to the frame rail and J-bracket insulators, but they can be easily swapped-out if you decide to upgrade to the concours-correct ones that Scott offers at a later date...

Good luck!

BTW - Here's a better shot of the NPD resonators on my car...

At this juncture, this seems the best option for the budget, maybe changing things out later if I find anything that compromises my goals.

Great looking pictures, it really helps to see a product installed, instead of on pages of a catalog. I assume fitment wasn't any real issue? Convertibles have considerably less margin for error.

btw, Paperback Writer, do you have a first name? Or would you like to remain Paperback Writer? I'm probably not going to abbreviate your screen name to only the initials, those initials have another conotation that isn't exactly politically correct  ;)

Thanks again for your input, photos and details of your shopping cart. It has been a GREAT help.

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »
The factory and Scott Fuller resonators have a double hump on the ends that is not present on the cheaper reproductions. The fitting also are not keyed at the ends for proper indexing. I have install the cheaper versions that took a entire day with 4 trips to a exhaust store to have parts bent or expended, was a real pain.
It only took 35 minutes to in stall the Fuller exhaust. The only pain was the cost but you get what you pay for.
Marty

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »
btw, Paperback Writer, do you have a first name? Or would you like to remain Paperback Writer? I'm probably not going to abbreviate your screen name to only the initials, those initials have another conotation that isn't exactly politically correct  ;)

You can call me Kevin...

One other thing I forgot to mention (since they were already on my car, and I didn't have to add them) are the rear floor pan reinforcement plates that strengthen the area where the transverse (resonator) hangers mount to the body .  Here's a link to the Virginia Classic Mustang blog that explains what I'm talking about:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2013/11/1967-69-mustang-dual-exhaust-floor-pan.html

On the factory installation, it appears they put sealer on the backside of the plates before spot-welding them to the floor pan.   The bottom edge of the plate was also covered with sealer after it was installed.
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###