Author Topic: Vacuum "T" on 70 Dearborn Boss 302  (Read 3645 times)

Offline sfltjed@302

Vacuum "T" on 70 Dearborn Boss 302
« on: April 11, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
Two questions; #1 Does this brass vacuum T look like it was a factory part. I found it on the back of my "very" original December Dearborn Boss 302 when I bought it in 1985. It appeared as it was originally plugged into the shaker vacuum diaphragm. As the diaphragm leaked, I took it off and saved it. Now I'm wondering if it does belong on the car. All vacuum schematics are just that, schematics, not photos. The brass "T" appears to be a larger 7/32" rather than the normal 5/32" version.

#2; Where can I source a "four way" vacuum "T" that lays along the passenger side of the engine that the vacuum valve in the thermostat housing, the two distributor ports, the smog canister, and the manifold vacuum all plug in together. (Clear as mud I hope!) Thanks so much for your help.

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Vacuum "T" on 70 Dearborn Boss 302
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 04:59:26 PM »
I have been through this before and at least have an informed opinion.  I doubt the brass T is original since all the Mustangs of this era seem to use plastic everywhere.  The 4 way tee located up front by the smog stuff is most common.  However, I think some (most?) shaker cars got a T behind the carb for the shaker and one port of the 4 way was capped.  Makes sense since it is a very short run from the vacuum source to the shaker vacuum nipple.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:42:42 PM »
Guess we need to start at the beginning as usual ;)

When was the car built (we don't need plant with this detail) and does or did the car originally have a shaker?
Won't be a brass fitting ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sfltjed@302

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 02:47:52 PM »
It was a Dec 1st, 1969 build date at Dearborn and was a factory shaker car. I have not seen anything on this forum or the Boss 302 Registry that has a photo of the vacuum lines and their routing (with the shaker removed for clarity).  Also I have checked for a source on the four way fitting and have found nothing. I'm sure SOMEONE knows where to get one! Thanks Jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »
Believe allot of owners use the multi port plastic vacuum t available at many parts stores. Its normally with all the little stuff in the little packages like generic hardware, door handles and the like. Seen them in a white or opaque plastic.

Finding a picture of the routing is difficult and there seems to be a couple of versions but the item you're lookign for doesn't seem to be affected by the differences.
Here is a Ford diagram of the system without the ram air but the hose for the side of this ari cleaner is simply moved to the shaker flapper in some diagrams such as shown on the Dead-Nuts- On web site - link below

https://www.deadnutson.com/boss-302-vacuum-hose-kit/

https://www.plews-edelmann.com/plastic-and-soft-rubber-fittings/?brochure=1864&location_id=2516
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sfltjed@302

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
Thanks Jeff! Appreciate the info. Never heard of the website you posted. I'll take it from here. This is the greatest source of info out there! JM