Author Topic: Fender Bolt Head Types/Markings - mid 66 Metuchen NJ cars  (Read 4332 times)

Offline sgl66

Re: Fender Bolt Head Types/Markings - mid 66 Metuchen NJ cars
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »
JAKE.

it has been my observation on NJ cars that both top fender bolts closest to the plenum has a extra dome style washer as per my image supplied in reply 3.

Not saying this way is set in stone just something I have seen when fiddling around with NJ.  have exmples of January, March and April build dates where this was done
I only have 1 engine compartment picture from 1980 before any sheetmetal work was done. October 65 car had the same 2 washers. Car also had no crush triangles in drivers fender. I believe the bolt heads were SEMS, will check on it next week.

Edit: coming back to this, I had a mix of RBW and SEMS installed at the time but after going through old bolts and cleaning them, I've found all the original RBW bolts which will be going back on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:12:39 PM by sgl66 »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
Thank you Phill,

Do you have access to either of those to where you could tell the markings on the bolt heads? The styles appear to be the same.

AU SNK.

As promised here is a image of the fender bolt recently taken off my unrestored 66 NJ convertible.  RBW example.....

I also have a January NJ car that has the same style fender bolts as well.

hope this helps you out.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:24:55 PM by outlawincorporated »
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 02:24:25 PM »
Sorry, did not see the M style bolt head, I think I would replace it with a nice old smooth washer one.
Would love to see the car on the show field one day,
In the old days sadly, unrestored car had points deducted for missing or torn engine compartment decal and owners put repo decals on to not lost points.
Things are better in unrestored judging, these days but training new judges is critical.

If the M is in fact wrong, I am still a bit hesitant to replace it and risk messing the paint up.

Not sure if it will be back on the MCA show field or not, but hopefully will be able to run across it at another venue if not. 

Mine has repo air cleaner stickers for that very reason which stinks. But it is what it is.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:39:46 PM by AU SNK »
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 02:26:53 PM »
JAKE.

it has been my observation on NJ cars that both top fender bolts closest to the plenum has a extra dome style washer as per my image supplied in reply 3.

Not saying this way is set in stone just something I have seen when fiddling around with NJ.  have exmples of January, March and April build dates where this was done and don't get me started on Dearborn examples.

My bolt closest to the plenum also has the extra washer on it.

Also thanks for the pics.
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline Building 3

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »
Phill: Those are exactly like the bolts on my car.  "RBW"   October 1965 NJ convertible.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 10:36:04 PM »
If the M is in fact wrong, I am still a bit hesitant to replace it and risk messing the paint up.

Jeff's photo of 6T24357x shows an "M" logo. How close is that VIN to yours? Also, the paint around the one in your photo looks undisturbed. Do the rest look like that?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 11:01:36 PM »
Jeff's photo of 6T24357x shows an "M" logo. How close is that VIN to yours? Also, the paint around the one in your photo looks undisturbed. Do the rest look like that?

The pic is actually of Russell's car...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 11:11:27 PM »

actually that is from my car in Jeff's pic. 

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 11:11:33 PM »
The pic is actually of Russell's car...

Then his VIN should be pretty close!  ::)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.