Author Topic: SUN-X Windows  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Brian Conway

SUN-X Windows
« on: October 31, 2020, 04:09:52 PM »
Some past Forum posts have touched on the SUN-X window glass subject but never clearly answering my questions ?  For my 8/19/68 Metuchen Mach 1 the front windshield is Marked Carlite.  It is clear with no shaded upper band and is Dated 8H.  The Left side door glass ( Drivers ) is marked Carlite SUN-X 9M ?  All the other glass is also marked Carlite SUN-X and is dated 8G or 8H.  My question is about the SUN-X glass title.  Is it a tinted glass ?  Is it the same as the glass that came with AC ?  Was there a non SUN-X clear window glass ?  Thanks, Brian
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 08:31:17 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: SUN-X Windows
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
Sun-X refers only to tinted glass. others will expand on the topic i'm sure.
5F09C331248

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 07:20:04 PM »
All sportsroof rear windshield glass is tinted but my car is sold now so I can't go read what was etched on it
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 09:17:14 PM »
In 1968 you had the choice of three options for glass.

1. No tinted glass.
2. Tinted windshield only.
3. Full tinted glass.

So there is no possibility of a windshield being clear glass with no mask on top with the other glass being tinted. More than likely the windshield has been replaced. A Marti Report will tell you what direction to proceed.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 07:09:09 AM »
At the end of the original post there were three questions in quick succession.  Here is my attempt to answer them, in order.  I've taken the liberty to reword the questions.

1. Q: Does the Carlite term SUN-X equate to tinted glass, and vice-versa?  A: Yes, SUN-X is the Ford term used for tinted glass.  The term "tinted" might have had legal and/or marketing implications.

2. Q: Did all air conditioning equipped cars come with SUN-X (tinted) glass?  A: That would only make sense, but I'm not positive of that. 

3. Q: How were the clear glass windows identified?  A: There were variations over time, but pretty much the same as SUN-X glass, but with the term "SUN-X" omitted.

Most of the Carlite glass included terms like "solid safety glass", "tempered", along with some industry and DOT specification references, and date code.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »
Most of the Carlite glass included terms like "solid safety glass", "tempered", along with some industry and DOT specification references, and date code.

By the 60's tempered glass would have been used for all US automobile glass to make assess and egress easier in case of an accident. Safety glass ( required for windshield applications) would have been used only for that piece of glass. Back in the 40's all glass was safety glass all the way around. Safety glass meant that the driver or passenger in the front seat would hit the windshield but often still stay in the vehicle rather than be tossed out of it. Did produced (when the seat belts were not used) some gruesome situations where the person would be part out and part in the vehicle after the accident but at least they were in the vehicle. 

Safety glass had at least two layers of glass with a tough plastic film between the two. Visited one glass plant during the period and in the 70's and the production room for this process was the only one we didn't get access to. Guess we could have pushed but no reason to. They were apparently upset that a Chinese tourist/visitor had gotten in to the area at one point and gotten pictures. Of course they considered that industrial espionage
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 03:23:51 PM »
OK thanks for the help.  After another look at the glass.  The windshield is CLEAR and Super 30 Laminated Safety Glass  8H 
                                                                                   L. door is Solid Safety Glass Tempered Sun-X                          9M
                                                                                   R. door is                         "                                                   8G
                                                                                   R. flip is                           "                                                   8H
                                                                                   L. Flip is Solid Safety Glass Tempered CLEAR                           8G
                                                                                   Rea is    Solid Safety Glass Tempered Sun-X                            8G

Trying to make any sense of this mix is probably a waste of time and effort.  The only one that really is out of place is 9M.  That's the drivers door and it is a glue in piece of glass as is the right door glass.  Brian
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:26:06 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 04:24:14 PM »
OK thanks for the help.  After another look at the glass.  ...................The only one that really is out of place is 9M.  That's the drivers door and it is a glue in piece of glass as is the right door glass.  Brian

Yes would have been replaced. Would make me want to check the door sheet metal date next time the door panel was off. Just to answer a question but that is me
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 05:48:03 PM »
Left door and Right door.  One day apart.
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 11:46:31 PM »
Left door and Right door.  One day apart.

Guess it was only the glass. And Thanks for more dates from your car for the spread sheet :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 11:59:20 PM »
Some pictures to illustrate to others the details and markings discussed here. Just picked three with close dates from the collection. Can be difficult to get decent pictures of these details. Need to look through and find a none banded windshield from 68-69

Windshield - Sun X Sun Visor - 9B

Windshield - Sun X Sun Visor - 8L

Tempered side glass example - 9A

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:02:20 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Steve.chatman

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 12:32:47 AM »
Jeff, what date code would likely be on the windshield on a car with the  build date of 1-8-69 69 Gt350r

Offline KevinK

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 11:50:13 AM »
Thanks guys for the info and pictures. I’m working on having a windshield made for my 67 tbird. It was very hard to take a picture of it. Your examples filled in the missing pieces.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 05:05:12 PM »
Jeff, what date code would likely be on the windshield on a car with the  build date of 1-8-69 69 Gt350r

Looking at other examples 1-3 months appears to be typical so for a Jan 69 you might ask for Nov 68  when you have one made
Jeff Speegle

Offline Steve.chatman

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 11:19:20 PM »
Jeff, here is a picture of the markings on my back glass build date 1-9-69 GT350
Is the 8M the date code? I understand part numbers with a C9 means 1969 but I’m not understanding this date coding.
I’ll send pictures of my side glass when I can get to them.

Also a classic car glass guy is trying to talk me into this windshield (2nd picture) and I’m guessing it’s in no way right even though it’s Carlite
Thanks for your help.