Author Topic: 65 Rally Pac Install  (Read 11881 times)

Offline Chris

65 Rally Pac Install
« on: December 16, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »
June 64 260 car, the Rally pac is the 6000 rpm high profile.

I have the high-profile 65 rally pac, original and not a reproduction (just in case there are differences between the two). I'm trying to install it in my car and I think I'm missing some wiring to complete the job.

The instructions for doing the instllation for the Scott Drake version of the rally pac are below. I need help with steps 9,10, and 11. The wiring harness I have for the installation only has one black loop conncetor (see picture) for grounding. This would be used in Step 7.

For Step 9, there is no "purple/black wire" in the harness.
For Step 10, there is no additional loop conncector to use, no black/red wire with loop connector.
For Step 11, there is no long black wire with loop conncetor to run to the coil.

The picture of the wiring harness is the same as the one I have from NPD. How do I complete the installation? Where do the other wires for steps 9-11 come from?

Installation instructions: (from this link, http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-scott-drake-black-6000rpm-rally-pac-1965-installation-instructions/a/326/

1. To begin installing your new Mustang Scott Drake C5ZZ-10B960CBK Black 6000rpm Rally Pac, remove the driver’s side sill plate and kick panel.
2. Removal of the kick plate provides access to the back of the courtesy light switch. Push the switch through its mounting hole.
3. Recommended: Using a voltmeter, remove and test the plugs to determine which side is “hot.” Normally, the “hot” side will be the connector with the green/yellow wires. Be careful not to touch either connector to a grounded surface during this step.
4. Once the “hot” wire has been verified, disconnect the negative terminal of the Mustang battery.
5. The Under-Dash Rally Pac Wiring Harness provided with the kit has a light blue/black wire with a spliced green/yellow wire on one end. Push this portion of the harness through the mounting hole from the back and connect as shown.
6. Push the connected wires through the mounting hole and re-install the courtesy light switch.
7. Connect the ground wire (black) with the loop connector to a secure grounded location. The fuse panel bolt screw was used in this example.
8. Place protective cloth over steering column, and remove Mustang instrument panel.
9. Locate the instrument panel light circuit lead (to the right side of the hole created by the removal of the instrument panel). The lead should have a wide connector with receptacles for three male connectors (the light circuit for the radio may occupy one of these locations). Connect the black male connector with the purple/black wire (last remaining wire at this end of the harness) as shown.
10. The ignition wire provided with the kit is a short black/red wire with a loop connector. Secure the loop connector to the back post of the ignition switch as shown.
11. The coil wire supplied with the kit is black with a loop connector on one end and a green female connector on the other. Attach the loop connector to the NEGATIVE terminal on the coil as shown. Feed the end of the wire with the green connector through any convenient hole in the firewall.
12. Re-install the instrument panel (at this point, you may want to temporarily reconnect the negative terminal to ensure the instrument panel is illuminated and no lights are blown or out of position).
13. Mount the Rally Pac. In this example, a small piece of foam weather-stripping was added to the Scott Drake C5ZZ-3676-A Rally Pac Mounting Bracket to make the finished installation snug (a thin piece of rubber strip is included in the kit for this purpose- but the foam made the finished installation more secure). The strap is attached with two Phillip head screws, and the back of the Rally Pac should be almost--but not quite--touching the instrument panel.
14. Connect the under-dash harness, ignition and coil wires to the harness from the Rally Pac. Two red connectors go into the wide red connector from the Rally Pac (the one with three openings). One blue connector (from the courtesy switch) goes to the blue connector from the Rally Pac. One black male connector (from the ground) goes to the black female connector from the Rally Pac. The coil wire (female green connector) hooks up to the green connector from the Rally Pac, and the ignition wire (male black connector) hooks up to the female black connector.
15. Reconnect the battery’s negative terminal. The clock should begin to operate (if the clock stops when the door is shut, you have hooked into the wrong slot at the courtesy switch--pull out the switch and swap connections). Turn on the lights, and the Mustang Rally Pac should illuminate. Start the engine, and the tachometer should indicate RPMs. Congratulations!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:40:11 PM by Chris »
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline rocket289k

Re: 65 Rally Pac Install
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »
June 64 260 car, the Rally pac is the 6000 rpm high profile.

I have the high-profile 65 rally pac, original and not a reproduction (just in case there are differences between the two). I'm trying to install it in my car and I think I'm missing some wiring to complete the job.

The instructions for doing the instllation for the Scott Drake version of the rally pac are below. I need help with steps 9,10, and 11. The wiring harness I have for the installation only has one black loop conncetor (see picture) for grounding. This would be used in Step 7.

For Step 9, there is no "purple/black wire" in the harness.
For Step 10, there is no additional loop conncector to use, no black/red wire with loop connector.
For Step 11, there is no long black wire with loop conncetor to run to the coil.

The picture of the wiring harness is the same as the one I have from NPD. How do I complete the installation? Where do the other wires for steps 9-11 come from?

Installation instructions: (from this link, http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-scott-drake-black-6000rpm-rally-pac-1965-installation-instructions/a/326/

1. To begin installing your new Mustang Scott Drake C5ZZ-10B960CBK Black 6000rpm Rally Pac, remove the driver’s side sill plate and kick panel.
2. Removal of the kick plate provides access to the back of the courtesy light switch. Push the switch through its mounting hole.
3. Recommended: Using a voltmeter, remove and test the plugs to determine which side is “hot.” Normally, the “hot” side will be the connector with the green/yellow wires. Be careful not to touch either connector to a grounded surface during this step.
4. Once the “hot” wire has been verified, disconnect the negative terminal of the Mustang battery.
5. The Under-Dash Rally Pac Wiring Harness provided with the kit has a light blue/black wire with a spliced green/yellow wire on one end. Push this portion of the harness through the mounting hole from the back and connect as shown.
6. Push the connected wires through the mounting hole and re-install the courtesy light switch.
7. Connect the ground wire (black) with the loop connector to a secure grounded location. The fuse panel bolt screw was used in this example.
8. Place protective cloth over steering column, and remove Mustang instrument panel.
9. Locate the instrument panel light circuit lead (to the right side of the hole created by the removal of the instrument panel). The lead should have a wide connector with receptacles for three male connectors (the light circuit for the radio may occupy one of these locations). Connect the black male connector with the purple/black wire (last remaining wire at this end of the harness) as shown.
10. The ignition wire provided with the kit is a short black/red wire with a loop connector. Secure the loop connector to the back post of the ignition switch as shown.
11. The coil wire supplied with the kit is black with a loop connector on one end and a green female connector on the other. Attach the loop connector to the NEGATIVE terminal on the coil as shown. Feed the end of the wire with the green connector through any convenient hole in the firewall.
12. Re-install the instrument panel (at this point, you may want to temporarily reconnect the negative terminal to ensure the instrument panel is illuminated and no lights are blown or out of position).
13. Mount the Rally Pac. In this example, a small piece of foam weather-stripping was added to the Scott Drake C5ZZ-3676-A Rally Pac Mounting Bracket to make the finished installation snug (a thin piece of rubber strip is included in the kit for this purpose- but the foam made the finished installation more secure). The strap is attached with two Phillip head screws, and the back of the Rally Pac should be almost--but not quite--touching the instrument panel.
14. Connect the under-dash harness, ignition and coil wires to the harness from the Rally Pac. Two red connectors go into the wide red connector from the Rally Pac (the one with three openings). One blue connector (from the courtesy switch) goes to the blue connector from the Rally Pac. One black male connector (from the ground) goes to the black female connector from the Rally Pac. The coil wire (female green connector) hooks up to the green connector from the Rally Pac, and the ignition wire (male black connector) hooks up to the female black connector.
15. Reconnect the battery’s negative terminal. The clock should begin to operate (if the clock stops when the door is shut, you have hooked into the wrong slot at the courtesy switch--pull out the switch and swap connections). Turn on the lights, and the Mustang Rally Pac should illuminate. Start the engine, and the tachometer should indicate RPMs. Congratulations!

Hi Chris,

Over the years I ran across the following wiring schematics for the installation of a NOS Rally Pac (I can't remember where I found them or I'd give credit where credit is due).  This should help you figure things out.  Since you also have a generator in your car I'm wondering if that may make a difference.  I've never had the opportunity to install a Rally Pac in an early car.

1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
Virginia Classic Mustang list a wiring diagram for 1965 and 66 Mustangs. Go to page 32 of their current catalog. Make sure that you're requesting an original wiring diagram. The Scott Drake wiring diagram isn't the same as the original Ford.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:46:11 PM by carlite65 »

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »
I have the 65 wiring diagrams, they of course are not very descriptive, do not include the text for the installation instructions. I wonder if the rally pacs came with the typical text installation instructions along with the diagrams?

A basic problem I see regardless of the instructions I could reference, the underdash harness that comes from the parts suppliers does not have a dedicated wire that goes from under the dash and out to the coil. I at least need to figure that out as I don't have that wire in my underdash harness for the rally pac.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
factory r/p wiring did not go out to the coil. you connect it thru the factory wiring under the dash. behind the ignition switch you unplug the connector and insert the new harness in between those two connections.
5F09C331248

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »
Factory Rally Pac are installed in series in the ignition system, Scott Drake Rally Pac are installed in parallel with the coil. As I said earlier they are not wired the same way. + 1 to Carlite

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »
And because the factory Rally Pac wires in series, should it ever fail, your car won't start...that's my two cents.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 07:35:47 AM »
And because the factory Rally Pac wires in series, should it ever fail, your car won't start...that's my two cents.

Ray

Not quite true.  The tach consists of two fundamental parts: a transformer on the input side and a gauge on the output side.  The gauge can fail but the transformer can still be good and the car will run.  If the transformer fails, then the gauge will read nothing and the signal to the coil will also fail.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
Understood...just wasn't very specific.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline Chris

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »
So here's what I've been able to identify where the wires from the rally pac underdash harness connect to dash wiring. There are 4 wires from the rally pac harness that connect to existing dash wiring:

-  Rally pac light blue/black wire with a spliced green/yellow wire, this connects to the door courtsey light

- Rally pac ground wire (black) with the loop connector, this connects to screw on corner of fuse box

- one wire connects to the existing 3-terminal connector under the dash that is the instrument panel light circuit lead...guessing that this is the wire that is red/blue stripe with black lead.

- This leaves one wire left, a solid red wire with green lead...this would connect to the ignition switch

Does this sound right?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
By your description you have the Rally Pac that connects to the coil. If so, you need a wire that goes thru the firewall to the distributor side of the coil (black wire). At the Rally Pac end you need a female bullet connector, at the coil a ring lug. One recommended routing uses the hole for the heater hose as a way thru the firewall, add some sealer when done. You need two wires to use the ignition switch location, one wire in and one wire out. If the picture of the harness is what you are using, you have the wire to the coil type.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »
My rally pac is an original 65 high profile, 6000 rpm, not a Scott Drake repro. I need the steps for connecting the 4 wires from the rally pac under dash harness to the existing dash wiring.

Offline carlizard

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
My rally pac is an original 65 high profile, 6000 rpm, not a Scott Drake repro. I need the steps for connecting the 4 wires from the rally pac under dash harness to the existing dash wiring.

I need the same information.  I have a 1964.5 with a high profile original Rally Pac.  It has a new quartz clock.  All the diagrams in the world don't deal with what we both have.
1964.5 260
Body:   76A   
Color:   M   
Trim:    89   
Date:   30G   
D.S.O:  75   
Axle:    1   
Trans:    6

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »
So here's what I've been able to identify where the wires from the rally pac underdash harness connect to dash wiring. There are 4 wires from the rally pac harness that connect to existing dash wiring:

-  Rally pac light blue/black wire with a spliced green/yellow wire, this connects to the door courtsey light  Correct---this is clock power.

- Rally pac ground wire (black) with the loop connector, this connects to screw on corner of fuse box Not for tach, but for the clock ground.

- one wire connects to the existing 3-terminal connector under the dash that is the instrument panel light circuit lead...guessing that this is the wire that is red/blue stripe with black lead.  Should be a blue/red wire coming out of rally pac for lamp

- This leaves one wire left, a solid red wire with green lead...this would connect to the ignition switch Correct

Does this sound right?  You're missing a black wire with a bullet connector on it that mates with the pink resistor wire---tach output to coil.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Chris

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 12:34:17 AM »
Here are pictures of my Rally Pac from a previous thread: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3615.msg19444#msg19444

Aside from the wires on the rally pac, only other wires are on the under dash harness. I have an original harness and it has the same number and type of connectors as the reproduction shown in the picture at the top of the post. Is the connector you're referring to that mates with the pink resistor wire from the under dash harness or from the rally pac?