Author Topic: FE gasket set  (Read 2769 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
FE gasket set
« on: September 01, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good full-engine gasket set for a 390? That is, in terms of factory correctness and quality/performance. Or is this a situation like decals where the best route is to buy individual pieces? My car will be driven, and since the gaskets are mostly hidden or painted anyway, I don't feel it's necessary to seek out all NOS gaskets. But I would like keep with original appearance as best I can (e.g. valve cover gaskets).
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: FE gasket set
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:30:26 PM »
IMHO buy the decals one at a time - kits have too many ones you'll just toss

Since most of the gaskets will be painted (still have the fuel pump one that sill not be painted) things like the little retaining "nubs" on the valve cover (being there and spaced to match) become important. Also making sure they are cork (and the oil pan also) since that can still be seen after a coat of silver paint but those can be purchased individually/in addition to the full kit

Guess one of the main issues is how you feel about using specific types of head gaskets or the silicon printed intake ones.

Most sets of NOS gaskets are as hard as rocks by now and the cork ones dried out and falling apart (in many cases) - would not recommend them generally
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:07:43 PM »
Since most of the gaskets will be painted (still have the fuel pump one that sill not be painted) things like the little retaining "nubs" on the valve cover (being there and spaced to match) become important. Also making sure they are cork (and the oil pan also) since that can still be seen after a coat of silver paint but those can be purchased individually/in addition to the full kit

The cork I knew about, and I know they were stapled to the valve covers (still looking for details on the staples), but the silver paint thing is news to me. The cork was painted? Slightly off the subject, what finish was used on the valve cover bolts for chrome valve covers?

Guess one of the main issues is how you feel about using specific types of head gaskets or the silicon printed intake ones.

I have no opinion on head gaskets - haven't done any research yet. Open to suggestions, though.

Most sets of NOS gaskets are as hard as rocks by now and the cork ones dried out and falling apart (in many cases) - would not recommend them generally

That eases my conscience about using aftermarket gaskets  :)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:24:59 PM »
The cork I knew about, and I know they were stapled to the valve covers (still looking for details on the staples), but the silver paint thing is news to me. The cork was painted? Slightly off the subject, what finish was used on the valve cover bolts for chrome valve covers?

S code 68 = chrome valve covers so ......

Search is your friend ;)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10723.msg63977#msg63977

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4355.msg24140#msg24140

Bolts with integrated lock washers - believe originally cad but zinc should pass mustard
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:30:07 PM »

I have no opinion on head gaskets - haven't done any research yet. Open to suggestions, though.

That eases my conscience about using aftermarket gaskets  :)
The silver paint was used as a sealer of sorts. The old NOS cork gaskets can shrink also besides becoming hard.  Back in the day it was common to spray head gaskets with the silver paint to aid in sealing too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:35:26 PM »
The silver paint was used as a sealer of sorts. The old NOS cork gaskets can shrink also besides becoming hard.  Back in the day it was common to spray head gaskets with the silver paint to aid in sealing too.

Was the silver an aluminum paint? Containing actual aluminum, that is, not just "looks like aluminum". I've done some looking around on the net and there are numerous references to "aluminum paint" with cork gaskets on Fords and other makes too. There's also references to using it on head gaskets, too, which is probably straying into a different discussion.

Is it correct to assume that the entire gasket was painted, not just one side?
Dave Z.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:56 PM »
Was the silver an aluminum paint? Containing actual aluminum, that is, not just "looks like aluminum". I've done some looking around on the net and there are numerous references to "aluminum paint" with cork gaskets on Fords and other makes too. There's also references to using it on head gaskets, too, which is probably straying into a different discussion.

Is it correct to assume that the entire gasket was painted, not just one side?
The entire gasket is painted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby