Author Topic: Correct choke tube 69 428CJ  (Read 8224 times)

Offline astat1

Correct choke tube 69 428CJ
« on: May 24, 2010, 01:01:55 AM »
Should all 69 428 CJ's have the "T" setup? Does anyone know of a vendor that carries them?  All I can find are not of the T variety. Photo from Jack Brook's Deadnutson site.

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Correct choke tube 69 428CJ
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »
This extra hose was used after about Feb./March '69 and no one makes the choke tube setup with the "T" for this hose.  Does your air cleaner base have the bleed valve in it?  If so, it should also have this "T" and extra hose.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline astat1

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:24:35 AM »
I had the "T" braized onto the choke tube. I was wondering what can be used (short of tar) to seal the ends from unraveling on the white insulator. It looks like I need four ends (on two sections of insulator) when the "T" piece is used. Or... was the insulator a single section with a gap/cut to accommodate the "T"?  Thanks

Offline brcron009

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »
Hi, Just wanted to let everyone know the Pic Jack has of this motor is My 428CJ motor . I made/make the Nippled tube based on a CJ Registry members original Choke tube and Joe Sikora's pics. I just finished one today for a CJ Registry member in Australia. Just thought I would pass it along. Also Jeff could add me to his roladex if he needs one. Thanks, Ron

1969 Mustang MACH 1 428 CJ Q-Code, Lime Gold, White Int, PS, PB, AC, Fold Down, Tilt Away, Intermitant wipers.

1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 CJ R-Code, Maroon, Black Leather Int, PS, PB, Tilt Away

Offline brcron009

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:40:09 AM »
Hi again, I also wanted to mention and answer the question regarding how the insulation was made. It is 2 individual sections of the material. I have samples or original material indicating this. Also the ends were not heated and melted. As has been mentioned in the past as being correct. For one based on original samples. Also these are high temp insulation from heat with asbestos hence they will not melt like a plastic fiber would. The are sealed with a tar substance to keep the ends from unravling when cut. I researched these for 2 years to try and duplicate it. The hardest part was getting samples of original material and pics of the tube itself. My research was the cut off date was February 14, 1969 that this was instituted. This date was assertained from a "TSB" I saw from a CJ registry member posting regarding the hard start condition on 1969 428 CJ cars. Just thought I would pass along what I researched and found. Thankx again, Ron
1969 Mustang MACH 1 428 CJ Q-Code, Lime Gold, White Int, PS, PB, AC, Fold Down, Tilt Away, Intermitant wipers.

1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 CJ R-Code, Maroon, Black Leather Int, PS, PB, Tilt Away

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:57:06 AM »
Hi again, I also wanted to mention and answer the question regarding how the insulation was made. It is 2 individual sections of the material. I have samples or original material indicating this. Also the ends were not heated and melted. As has been mentioned in the past as being correct. For one based on original samples. Also these are high temp insulation from heat with asbestos hence they will not melt like a plastic fiber would. The are sealed with a tar substance to keep the ends from unravling when cut. I researched these for 2 years to try and duplicate it. The hardest part was getting samples of original material and pics of the tube itself. My research was the cut off date was February 14, 1969 that this was instituted. This date was assertained from a "TSB" I saw from a CJ registry member posting regarding the hard start condition on 1969 428 CJ cars. Just thought I would pass along what I researched and found. Thankx again, Ron
Ron,for what ever reason I have never seen the setup on that early of a build date for a 69/70 GT500. The earliest cars I have noticed that set up on came from later April cars. I have seen survivor Feb and March cars that didn't show any signs of having it. Most that had it I could only tell of the appropriate choke tube configuration because the ram air cleaner had the valve but the choke tube was long gone. There apparently were  inconsistencies just like there were with other change date items on the cars since you have documentation indicating otherwise. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »
Bob - My 3/18/69 built San Jose SCJ has the valve on the air cleaner base, so they were certainly using it that early.  The choke tube was long gone, as the car had headers installed very early in its life.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 01:08:37 PM »
Bob - My 3/18/69 built San Jose SCJ has the valve on the air cleaner base, so they were certainly using it that early.  The choke tube was long gone, as the car had headers installed very early in its life.
Like I said in my previous post "There apparently were  inconsistencies just like there were with other change date items on the cars since you have documentation indicating otherwise." I have observered a number before and after that date that didn't have the valve in the air cleaner base that I have felt were original to that car.  Just posting what I have personally seen like you posted what you saw. My point being, as soon as you draw a line in the sand (Feb 14) there is usually someone to offer another point of view. It isn't the first time and I am confident it well not be the last on something else. I have learned to be moderate about Factory change dates like this using a plus or minus approach. It has been very intersting and en lightly reading about this subject . Bob
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:11:03 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline brcron009

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:48:42 PM »
Hi Bob, Wasn't trying to stir up a controversy. Just what I had found out is all. First off I made a mistake when I originally posted not realizing I was in the shelby section. My info is only related to the MACH 1's. Which I think all shelby's started out that way if I'm not mistaken.  I originally was pointing out that the motor pictured was my CJ and that I have been making the Choke tube's since the summer of 2008. Here are some pics of one I just finished for Peter's Wheel of Color promotion Green CJ Down in Australia. Hope there's no hard feelings Bob as I do value your opinion.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
Hi Bob, Wasn't trying to stir up a controversy. Just what I had found out is all. First off I made a mistake when I originally posted not realizing I was in the shelby section. My info is only related to the MACH 1's. Which I think all shelby's started out that way if I'm not mistaken.  I originally was pointing out that the motor pictured was my CJ and that I have been making the Choke tube's since the summer of 2008. Here are some pics of one I just finished for Peter's Wheel of Color promotion Green CJ Down in Australia. Hope there's no hard feelings Bob as I do value your opinion.
Not at all. Like I said I found it very interesting and inlightening. I appreciate the pictures as I am sure others do as well. The tubes you make look very well made. I plan on a PM follow up to get some tubes from you for some later cars I have that are missing them . Bob