Author Topic: Introduction: Restoring my 65 Fastback  (Read 7017 times)

Offline kryptonite

Introduction: Restoring my 65 Fastback
« on: February 24, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »
Hello Everyone.
My name is Russ and I am restoring my 65 Fastback.
I have started working towards getting work done on my 65 Fastback and I need some guidance from the experts!
My plan is to restore this car back to original as possible (possibly concours, haven't fully crossed that bridge yet).

The seller had painted the car red (originally Ivy Green Metallic) and changed the interior to black (originally White w/Ivy Gold Appointments)
He also replaced the drive side door with one off of a coupe, but did not transfer the data plate, so all the original information I've been able to get about my car is off the buck tag. Is there another place I can look on the car to find correct information?

1) My car looks to be an early 65. Date code (23G) shows it is an early 65. July 23, 1964.
What does that mean for my car?

2) Interior code is D8, which translates to White Crinkle Vinyl w/ Ivy Gold Appointments; Standard Interior.
What color should my carpet be?
Dash Pad?
What is accented/appointed?

The car is getting ready to be sent to a restoration shop to get the floor pan replaced as well as fix some body damage I found once I sanded the car down to bare metal. The shop recommended replacing the complete pan instead of patching the damaged areas with replacement pieces.

Offline BKnapp

Re: Introduction: Restoring my 65 Fastback
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »
Hi Russ-

I would contact Kevin Marti to get the information you are seeking. I might also suggest you talk to him about having a new door tag made. Good luck with the project!

Bill
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »
Hi Russ-

I would contact Kevin Marti to get the information you are seeking. I might also suggest you talk to him about having a new door tag made. Good luck with the project!

Bill
FYI Kevin's data base does not include 65/66 however he can help with deciphering (or his book) the buck tag and also help with a reproduction door tag.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 03:54:43 PM »
Hi Russ, welcome to the forum!

You'll need to make sure you learn about the differences in replacement floor pans vs. original.  Most shops do not know and will act like you're bothering them if you ask to modify correctly.

That's a very early fastback, there are probably lots of little things that are going to be different... or at least some carryover "64 1/2" parts... mostly sheet metal and other differences.

Although, when you mention a buck tag, that would date the car much later.  You might want to post the VIN.

Are you still in the Raleigh area?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
my favorite color, other than mine!  ha ha.  I also have an early fastback Oct 64.  There are a few differences but not many.  I did NOT have lot of 64 parts on mine.

1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »
Welcome Russ,
Do some reading, get familiar with the library, look at the posted pictures and have fun - not necessarily in that order.
My plan is to restore this car back to original as possible (possibly concours, haven't fully crossed that bridge yet).

That's a goal. Some combine concourse and driving, others not quite as detailed.
The seller had painted the car red (originally Ivy Green Metallic) and changed the interior to black (originally White w/Ivy Gold Appointments)
He also replaced the drive side door with one off of a coupe, but did not transfer the data plate, so all the original information I've been able to get about my car is off the buck tag. Is there another place I can look on the car to find correct information?
You got part of the answer in the buck tag. If you post your VIN and a picture of the buck tag you can get some feedback as to what you got.
1) My car looks to be an early 65. Date code (23G) shows it is an early 65. July 23, 1964.
I think you may have a problem in "early" vs. "late" 65. The change over to 65 Mustang production was August, 1964, so you may have a "late" 65.
2) Interior code is D8, which translates to White Crinkle Vinyl w/ Ivy Gold Appointments; Standard Interior.
Carpet, dash pad and seat belts will be Medium Ivy Gold.
The car is getting ready to be sent to a restoration shop to get the floor pan replaced as well as fix some body damage I found once I sanded the car down to bare metal. The shop recommended replacing the complete pan instead of patching the damaged areas with replacement pieces.
A good start. Make sure you determine the undercarriage color first - repeat that to the shop several times. Shops tend to be "independent" in their thinking and use of primer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »
Welcome Russ

It means that when that particular Ford plant received the order for your car the worker guessed that they would be finished with your car on that date. Normally/often it wasn't a correct guess

Dash Pad?
What is accented/appointed?

Carpet was a green/gold color (ivy) - From other owners experience it will be difficult to match the original colors with what is available today. Thing there is a thread related to that subject here on the site

Dash Pad was Ivy also

Appointments = Believe just the dash pad, seat belts, carpet and vinyl sill strips (changed since the car apparently was built in 1965 near the end of 65 production)

Example of carpet color

Example of dash pad color

Example of white with "xxx" appointment pattern - sorry could not find a white with Ivy gold example. Just replace the black with ivy gold part

If you replace the whole pan you need to be concerned (if your restoring) that they will be reproducing all of the factory welds and final look. Over the last 5 years or so many shops have chosen to instead to leave the original edges in place (unless there is damage in those areas) and replace the panels without disturbing the welds and in turn leave panel dates attached also.  Just something to consider
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:12:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
My 65 Fastback has an approximate build date of September 2, 1964.  There was an abundance of 64 1/2 carry over parts.  I have to agree with Jim that the roll over to production of the 65 model year was in August of 1964.  Where did you get the 23 G date code you refer too?  Is it from a sheet metal stamping?
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 06:08:12 PM »
.......He also replaced the drive side door with one off of a coupe, but did not transfer the data plate, so all the original information I've been able to get about my car is off the buck tag. ..................

Believe from the buck tag -

So if looks like he has a NJ car (Dearborn and San Jose didn't use buck tags during July 64 and NJ wasn't building Mustangs yet) which then leads us to the car being built in July 23, 1965 not July 23, 1964 unless I'm missing something. Unless someone made a fake buck tag for one of the other plants and installed it but doubt it if the past owner didn't even have a fake door take made to show the modified colors they choose

Russ would help in the future if you could include the VIN (you can leave out the last three numbers if you feel like it) or more info on your car when you post a question. When and where play a BIG part in getting the right information in return ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:16:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline kryptonite

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »
This really helps getting me going.
I went to Marti's site to decipher my VIN:

Hi Charles (caspian65)! I am still in Clayton.

Here is the information off my buck tag:
D            
26   G23   5T09C0186206      
63A   R   D8      
K   BS   4 Speed   RM   V8

I put posted it the way it shows up on the buck tag. I hope I have deciphered it correctly:
D    Dealer Ordered
26    Welding Bay
G23    7/23/1964??
5T09C0186206   VIN
63A    2+2 Fastback
R    Ivy Green Metallic
D8    White Crinkle Vinyl w/ Ivy Gold Accents; Standard Interior
K   Backup Lights?
BS   Seat Belts?
4 Speed    4 Speed Manual Transmission
RM   Remote Mirrors
V8   289 Emblem

I've stripped about 90% of the car down to bare metal using a combination of sanding and paint stripper. Looks like the previous owner took spray paint and painted the carpet and much of the interior parts black. I've been able to strip all of the interior parts back to white, but I think I'll have to re-paint to original color.
The shop I am taking the car to hopefully next week to do the metalwork is Klassic Rides in Denver, NC.
Is there a better vendor for replacing the complete floor pan? Dynacorn? NPD?? CJPony Parts???
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:59:08 PM by kryptonite »

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:03:14 PM »
Hello Everyone.
My name is Russ and I am restoring my 65 Fastback.
I have started working towards getting work done on my 65 Fastback and I need some guidance from the experts!

If the 23G date is from a Metuchen buck tag, it is July 23, 1965 rather than July 23, 1964. It is not too far off from my late 65 coupe, which has a buck date of  F29. Unlike the door tags, the buck tags did not use second year production codes.  Here's a quote from the Marti Tagbook, as cited in an earlier thread:

"The next code on the second line is the date that the buck was completed.  It is in reverse order compared to the door data plate.  The second year of production codes were not used, so if a Mustang was built in May of 1965, the door tag used the letter "S" for the month, but the buck tag used the letter "E".  Following the build date is the serial number of the car."

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline kryptonite

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 08:34:05 PM »
If the 23G date is from a Metuchen buck tag, it is July 23, 1965 rather than July 23, 1964. It is not too far off from my late 65 coupe, which has a buck date of  F29. Unlike the door tags, the buck tags did not use second year production codes.  Here's a quote from the Marti Tagbook, as cited in an earlier thread:

"The next code on the second line is the date that the buck was completed.  It is in reverse order compared to the door data plate.  The second year of production codes were not used, so if a Mustang was built in May of 1965, the door tag used the letter "S" for the month, but the buck tag used the letter "E".  Following the build date is the serial number of the car."

I was a little suspect of it possibly being an early 65, though that would have been kewl if it happened to be.
I guess missing the door tag I am missing some information concerning my car?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 08:41:01 PM »
I was a little suspect of it possibly being an early 65, though that would have been kewl if it happened to be.
I guess missing the door tag I am missing some information concerning my car?

With your help we should be able to determine what the original door tag originally included - the DSO is often the biggest challenge in this process. An owners manual or window sticker with the dealer or region would help
Jeff Speegle

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »
One of the best sources of information, especially if you are missing the door tag, is a build sheet. On Metuchen cars, they are sometimes taped to the instrument panel wiring harness or under the seat springs.  I was able to find mine and fill in most of the information from my missing door tag.

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 08:56:18 PM »
One of the best sources of information, especially if you are missing the door tag, is a build sheet. On Metuchen cars, they are sometimes taped to the instrument panel wiring harness or under the seat springs.  I was able to find mine and fill in most of the information from my missing door tag.

Excellent  idea !!! So uncommon to find those on local cars I pretty much forgot that possibility on an early car
Jeff Speegle