Author Topic: 1967 Shelby brake ducts  (Read 3413 times)

Offline 1967gt350

1967 Shelby brake ducts
« on: October 20, 2010, 03:46:45 PM »

Hi
     Just wondering-  my car has the early style brake ducts which use the 3" hose and which exit from the centre of the side scoops.  Would the plastic ducts which mount to the rear wheel wells use a traditional looking aluminum rivet or a black anodized rivet like the tail light boxes used?  Same question for the brake duct hose?
      I was planning on using a small amount of black strip caulk when I install the the wheel well mounted ducts.  After they are installed, is there any type of spray sealer/ undercoat applied to either side of the wheel well?

Thanks as always...Mark

Offline Road Reptile

Re: 1967 Shelby brake ducts
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
 Hi,
Just curious if your car also has a union in the ducting between the scoop and the wheel tub? if it does I would use these rivets as a sample for the installation of the other parts.So far none that I have seen use any spray sealer on the wheel tub,they just riveted them in place.
   Do you know the Shelby build date? Very few cars have this type of scoop.Were you able to find replacement hose that looks like the original?
         Hope this helps some...
               R.R.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
     Hi
     Just wondering-  my car has the early style brake ducts which use the 3" hose and which exit from the centre of the side scoops.  Would the plastic ducts which mount to the rear wheel wells use a traditional looking aluminum rivet or a black anodized rivet like the tail light boxes used?  Same question for the brake duct hose?
      I was planning on using a small amount of black strip caulk when I install the the wheel well mounted ducts.  After they are installed, is there any type of spray sealer/ undercoat applied to either side of the wheel well?

Thanks as always...Mark
Mark,I have seen both colors used for the rivets in that area. I don't think it was a cosmetic concern like it was on the tail panel. I would use the suggestion made R.R. for determining what came on your car  . If you can't follow R.R.'s suggestion then let your conscience be your guide .  I have only seen the strip type caulk used to seal the ducts. I hope this helps.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1967gt350

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:59:21 PM »
   Hi R.R., and thanks for the reply.

"Just curious if your car also has a union in the ducting between the scoop and the wheel tub?"
   Unfortunatly the original hose is long gone. The original "end" hardware is still intact and in nice shape.

"Do you know the Shelby build date?"
   The paperwork I received from Mr. Mathews shows the car was invoiced & shipped in the middle of December '66. I'm not sure of any "Shelby" build dates?

"Very few cars have this type of scoop.Were you able to find replacement hose that looks like the original?"
   I'm sure Mr Gaines can answer this better than me but here's what I bought a while back:

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tpc=Aeroduct_Hose_-_Black_Neoprene&form_prod_id=1530&action=product

I did see a couple of Ford packaged, Shelby part numbered brake duct hoses a while back (not for sale) and I remember they were not corugated (such as a dryer vent hose), they were not shiny, and they had tan colored rings around them. I thought this hose looked pretty good?

From Mr Gaines:

"Mark,I have seen both colors used for the rivets in that area. I don't think it was a cosmetic concern like it was on the tail panel. I would use the suggestion made R.R. for determining what came on your car  . If you can't follow R.R.'s suggestion then let your conscience be your guide .  I have only seen the strip type caulk used to seal the ducts. I hope this helps.Bob"

Thanks, Bob.   The rivets which I removed were plain aluminum, I have no idea if they were originals or not. There was of course some grime inside my duct hardware, just hard to tell if it included any sealers.

I appreciate the advice from both of you.
    Thanks again...Mark

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:44:22 AM »
Mark, that hose looks close in appearance but the material is different (I am sure more durable). Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rcgt350

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:03:10 AM »
Bob,
 Any suggestions as to where to find the brake ducting hose?
Randy
1967 GT 350 W White
1970 Boss 302 GG Restoration in progress
2012 Boss 302 C Orange
1930 Ford Model A 4 Door Deluxe Town Sedan