Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Black Charcoal Dash paint  (Read 2275 times)

Offline bullitt68

1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Black Charcoal Dash paint
« on: December 20, 2018, 05:18:27 AM »
I just painted my dash with the Charcoal Grey Metallic Dash paint spray bomb. Has anyone else used it. I did read some other threads on it and laid down black primer before as recommended. It actually looks black when not in direct light. I have not seen it in daylight yet, but when I shine a light on it and it does look dark grey. Hard to tell in the photos, but I am just curious if this is what most people do or if they just use a black paint like Trim Black for example or mix something up. I was considering using the same paint for all of the rear panels, but having doubts now. How correct is the spray bomb product from Scott Drake and is this the way to go or another option. As a rule I am not a fan of spray bombs, but was not sure how to colour match the Charcoal Grey Metallic. The down side of spray bombs is how it lays down, the upside might be the correct
colour.

FYI I am painting the hinge off the car with a dry spray to duplicate how it was originally applied as per the photos I took as I still have work to do under the dash and I didn't want to leave the door installed. Basically only half of the hinge gets painted as the side bolted to the glove box door and under the dash don't get paint.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:17:58 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Online 196667Bob

Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Charcoal Grey Metallic Dash paint
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:08:23 PM »
Was the Spray you used noted "Interior Paint" ? Just curious because for 68, Ford shows a "Charcoal Black Metallic" and a "Medium Gray Charcoal Metallic" for Interior Paints, but no "Dark Charcoal Metallic" . The "Dark Charcoal Metallic" only shows up as an Exterior Color.

Ford Paint Chart for 68 attached.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »
Was the Spray you used noted "Interior Paint" ? Just curious because for 68, Ford shows a "Charcoal Black Metallic" and a "Medium Gray Charcoal Metallic" for Interior Paints, but no "Dark Charcoal Metallic" . The "Dark Charcoal Metallic" only shows up as an Exterior Color.

Bob

Hi Bob I need to go back to my shop and check the can, but I ordered what I thought was the correct paint for a black interior car. I think it was black Charcoal, but will confirm. My invoice lists it as black charcoal. It does look black except when it is in direct light and then looks more grey. I may have quoted the wrong color name, but it is Scott Drake interior paint.
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »

Bob

Hi Bob looks like I ordered the right paint, but it still looks grey to me. I was told it is the correct paint for 68 black interior. Is it correct?
Mike

Online 196667Bob

Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Black Charcoal Dash paint
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 11:19:09 AM »
bullitt68 : I did check the 1967-73 (as shown in your spray can) Ford Color Charts, and the same "M4J-2083-S" Paint code is shown for all of those years. So, "assuming" (?) that whomever made the paint for Scott Drake used that color code, it should be correct. However, the only way to tell for sure is to find someone who has a 1967-73 with an unfaded Black Charcoal Metallic Interior, or has restored their original with this paint and was satisfied with its match.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 02:18:33 PM »
- the only way to tell for sure is to find someone who has a 1967-73 with an unfaded Black Charcoal Metallic Interior, or has restored their original with this paint and was satisfied with its match.
The "search for the holy grail" was a difficult task too.
It's 50 year old paint, from a car federally mandated to last 10 years for service, from a time period that encouraged buying a new car every 2 years.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 03:19:20 PM »
I have not been happy with the product that you are using because, like you say, it comes out looking not at all like it should.

About 15 years ago I discovered that Duplicolor BCC0427 Brilliant Black Pearl gave an excellent, very close to the original finish. This paint is quite sensitive to temperature. It will blush badly if the temperature is cooler than about 80 degrees F. If you get the surface preparation right and use it on a warm day it will give very satisfying results.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
bullitt68 : I did check the 1967-73 (as shown in your spray can) Ford Color Charts, and the same "M4J-2083-S" Paint code is shown for all of those years. So, "assuming" (?) that whomever made the paint for Scott Drake used that color code, it should be correct. However, the only way to tell for sure is to find someone who has a 1967-73 with an unfaded Black Charcoal Metallic Interior, or has restored their original with this paint and was satisfied with its match.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bob

Thanks Bob appreciate it. I will continue to investigate
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »
As has been posted in possibly over a dozen of threads here on this site. Typical practice for both rattle can and spray gun users is to lay down a compatible semi-gloss black base (thin but full coat) with two thin somewhat dry coats of Dark Charcoal metallic as a final coat has served hundreds of not thousands of owners and builders for decades

Just watch for a consistent final coats and finish. Too much will often produce a glossy or even smooth (filling grain in those areas) final look 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
As has been posted in possibly over a dozen of threads here on this site. Typical practice for both rattle can and spray gun users is to lay down a compatible semi-gloss black base (thin but full coat) with two thin somewhat dry coats of Dark Charcoal metallic as a final coat has served hundreds of not thousands of owners and builders for decades

Just watch for a consistent final coats and finish. Too much will often produce a glossy or even smooth (filling grain in those areas) final look

Thanks Jeff I followed those instructions. So far I have only painted my dash. I have not seen it in natural daylight yet, so perhaps it will be more to my liking in natural light. When I inspected it with a bright light it looked quite grey, but with low lighting it looks black. What did you think of the photos I posted.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:24:43 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 12:48:01 AM »
I have not been happy with the product that you are using because, like you say, it comes out looking not at all like it should.

About 15 years ago I discovered that Duplicolor BCC0427 Brilliant Black Pearl gave an excellent, very close to the original finish. This paint is quite sensitive to temperature. It will blush badly if the temperature is cooler than about 80 degrees F. If you get the surface preparation right and use it on a warm day it will give very satisfying results.

Hi Royce sorry for the delayed response, just getting back to interior stuff again now. Things have changed gain since I made this post originally. I have since decided to repaint my dash and stripped it again. My painter mixed up some paint and gave me a spray out. See attached photos. I am going to use this paint for the metal surfaces, dash, & door panels etc. Are you familiar with this SEM product? Did you use the same dash paint on your rear panels as well? Just curious if this product is a good way to go or should I use the dash paint.

FYI the photos attached were taken in the sunlight showing the comparison between the spray out and the original paint on the steering column parts. I am not sure what the paint would have looked like when new or how much it would have faded or lightened over the past 52 years. What do you think? How close is this spray out compared to how it would have appeared originally or should look.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:58:15 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 01:02:54 AM »
The "search for the holy grail" was a difficult task too.
It's 50 year old paint, from a car federally mandated to last 10 years for service, from a time period that encouraged buying a new car every 2 years.
Jim

Good points Jim. I just posted a few photos of my original steering column parts. I have no idea how much they have faded over the last 52 years. I had my painter match some paint for me. Not sure how close it is to what the original would have looked like. I am happy to get close
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 01:12:03 AM »

Hi jeff I am hoping that spraying with a gun will allow me to dust on a nice light coat. I experimented with the rattle can and I was not overly impressed with my skills. Would you recommend specific interior paint for the rear panels or do you think the same paint I use on my dash would be a better choice.

Thanks
Mike

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 10:38:47 AM »
I like to use TCP global for the original Lacquer interior paint.  The correct code for the charcoal black poly used on your dash and all the other interior panels is DDL 32586.  They no longer have the PPG lacquer available but they make it their house brand lacquer and it is correct.  I have been using them for years, Good luck!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
Pictures can sometimes be deceiving but if it looks as good in person as it does on my screen I think you have a good match there.

Hi Royce sorry for the delayed response, just getting back to interior stuff again now. Things have changed gain since I made this post originally. I have since decided to repaint my dash and stripped it again. My painter mixed up some paint and gave me a spray out. See attached photos. I am going to use this paint for the metal surfaces, dash, & door panels etc. Are you familiar with this SEM product? Did you use the same dash paint on your rear panels as well? Just curious if this product is a good way to go or should I use the dash paint.

FYI the photos attached were taken in the sunlight showing the comparison between the spray out and the original paint on the steering column parts. I am not sure what the paint would have looked like when new or how much it would have faded or lightened over the past 52 years. What do you think? How close is this spray out compared to how it would have appeared originally or should look.

Thanks
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock