Author Topic: 69-70 Hood Underside Details  (Read 1311 times)

Offline carm

69-70 Hood Underside Details
« on: June 07, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
NOTE: This posting was separated from another related thread so that we could focus on a particular detail and make it easier to locate in the future

Focus begins with details about the texture of the bottom side of the hoods top panel and her is a picture from that thread

That would be Great, if you could. Really want to know more about what makes the texture under this hood and also how do the pros replicate this texture today.

Also could you please post that great picture of that 69 Shelby hood scoop detail. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:39:06 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 GT350 convertible grabber orange
Auto
Built: April 21,1969. Dearborn

Offline specialed

Re: 69-70 Hood Undersides Details
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:25:18 AM »
jeffs photo ec2-3 looks correct and original just dont  sand off the textured areas  on bottom side of hood .

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69-70 Hood Underside Details
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
That would be Great, if you could. Really want to know more about what makes the texture under this hood and also how do the pros replicate this texture today.

Also could you please post that great picture of that 69 Shelby hood scoop detail. Thanks.

Going to split this request off and move it over to the general 69-70 discussion area then add some pictures to help. That way others looking for the information will not need to hunt it down in a thread with a name that is not really related ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 06:23:18 PM »

Don't know which picture or detail your looking for. Are you referring to the one we removed since it was from a 69 (in a 70 picture thread) or another. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 06:36:18 PM »
............... Really want to know more about what makes the texture under this hood and also how do the pros replicate this texture today.

Not sure what product is available and being use today. Been a while since I had a local sop apply a product. They use the same product to produce the texture on the taillight panel outer surface and end caps on another 69 we were helping out.

A few more pictures of the texture

Restored car

9F4813xx

9F4829xx

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
And just so its linked and we don't need to include it in this thread here is a related thread about the black paint applied to the bottom side of the hoods.  If we need to add or correct those details we can add that over there

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=195.msg969#msg969

Another detail is the number in the lower reinforcement panel right behind/below when hood is open, front lip. This is sometimes sanded off or removed if the hood bottom has been sanded or repair has taken place.  Very early cars typically don't have this in the mold process for some reason  - Bottom picture though its not really clear

Very early example (picture provided by Armond - Thanks)

Typical/vast majority- Orientated as it would appear on the bottom of the hood when open. Can't say the glob of resin is typical so please don't copy that detail  ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline carm

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »
Don't know which picture or detail your looking for. Are you referring to the one we removed since it was from a 69 (in a 70 picture thread) or another.

Yes, that's the one. The one showing the black paint around the perimeter of the hood spoop grate.

Many thanks.
1969 GT350 convertible grabber orange
Auto
Built: April 21,1969. Dearborn

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »
Anybody know what product was used to glue in the  black rear scoop screens like in top photo as i am wondering if that brownish red sealant was same as what held in the 68 KR ram air chamber ?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »
Anybody know what product was used to glue in the  black rear scoop screens like in top photo as i am wondering if that brownish red sealant was same as what held in the 68 KR ram air chamber ?
It would be logical to assume it was the same given the same AO Smith doing the install and just one year different. I haven't always seen it the same color however for the 69/70 cars so maybe more then one different products used. Have seen some with what appears to be a dark gray on unrestored cars. I am sorry to say I haven't kept track of vins on the different cars to correlate a pattern if any.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
Not sure what product is available and being use today. Been a while since I had a local sop apply a product. They use the same product to produce the texture on the taillight panel outer surface and end caps on another 69 we were helping out.

Restored car

9F4813xx

9F4829xx

Maybe one can do a good job of replicating a similar texture pattern to the original later tailight grained pattern and end caps using spray on products however the originals(majority of 69/70 production) had the grain pattern pressed into the mold and not a spray on texture. The very early 69 taillight panels that did have a spray on texture did not look anything like the under hood . They were more of the spatter type texture similar to the texture on the 69/70 trunk mats.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 05:29:40 PM »

Restored car

9F4813xx

9F4829xx

I thought I would mention that the 3/8 hex head sheet metal screws are a little out of the ordinary when used to secure the hood screens. I would not copy that detail . If you have pictures to show context like the series being presented here for your specific car showing the anomaly is one thing. I can only guess that maybe a mistake occurred where the smaller screw would not tighten up because the hole was too big and so AO Smith used another larger screw. (about 3 times bigger in this case).  The more typical hardware is the small pan head Phillips with washer surround which is also used to secure the rear taillight panel .