Author Topic: So What's The Deal With The Stripe Color?  (Read 842 times)

Offline ninedrvr

So What's The Deal With The Stripe Color?
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:32:24 AM »
I have read from several sources that Ford had a specific body color/ stripe color relationship established. The Gulfstream Aqua and Candyapple Red cars got gold stripes, the Wimbledon White and Pastel Gray got blue, the yellow got black and everything else got white. The problem is that I'm seeing "restored" cars with other combinations. Some of these cars may actually be judged in Thoroughbred class which makes me wonder, do these cars lose points for the deviations or was the body / stripe combo not as established as the books make me believe?
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: So What's The Deal With The Stripe Color?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »
I have read from several sources that Ford had a specific body color/ stripe color relationship established. The Gulfstream Aqua and Candyapple Red cars got gold stripes, the Wimbledon White and Pastel Gray got blue, the yellow got black and everything else got white. The problem is that I'm seeing "restored" cars with other combinations. Some of these cars may actually be judged in Thoroughbred class which makes me wonder, do these cars lose points for the deviations or was the body / stripe combo not as established as the books make me believe?
You are correct that Ford had a specific body color/ stripe color relationship established.End of story.  If a car is entered in a MCA,SAAC,or Mid America Shelby concours venue and it has a deviation from the normal it will be subject to have points deducted unless reasonable proof to justify the change happened before the car was delivered new to the first owner.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 07:19:36 PM »
Were some cars ordered with an alternate stripe color?
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
Were some cars ordered with an alternate stripe color?
No cars could not be ordered with a alternate color because "Ford had a specific body color/ stripe color relationship established.End of story. "
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 08:12:24 PM »
No cars could not be ordered with a alternate color because "Ford had a specific body color/ stripe color relationship established.End of story. "
This question is most often asked by some one wanting to stripe a red car with a white stripe or other combination. If striping your own car do as like . Just do so with the knowledge that there were certain combinations from the factory . If you choose a alternate from factory combination don't be surprised if there are deductions if entered in a concours event. 

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 08:42:12 PM »
I guess the only other thing to at least mention, since Bob brought up the phrase "before it was delivered to the first owner", would be to discuss dealer changes.   My judging experience is probably shy of 1% of what Bob has done, but I have done MCA 1967-68 concours judging of about 50 cars now.  In all of them there is only one case where there was a documented dealer change.  The original owner brought the original dated paperwork that provided sufficient evidence that he had the dealer install a few over the counter options.   That said the odds of a situation where someone who was not the original owner, or via family hand-me-down situation, that also has dated dealer paperwork identifying a change, ends up at a car show judged to the rules we are discussing is probably as close to zero as anything.  The point is that a pre-delivery change needs to be very well documented and is not a method by which to make the car something that it originally wasn't.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660