Author Topic: 3rd member question  (Read 1549 times)

Offline cob428

3rd member question
« on: October 19, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »
Sorry for all the posts just trying to get as much info as possible. Did they do reverse stamping on some 3rd member. Attached is the rear end tag and a picture of the 3rd member. trying to determine the date code, looks as if reverse stamped or I am reading it incorrectly?
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 3rd member question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
Not sure what your referencing as "reverse" stamping. That is a date cast in the third member by placing a date ingot/in the mold then removed before casting. The worker could put it in in either direction (like most of the dates on other parts)  Just depended on the worker and how they did it

Looks like it was cast 8G16 - July 16 1968

Rear end ID tag appears that it might be from a different application than the third member since it is dated almost (11 months) a year after the third member was cast. 9FA
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cob428

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:34:51 PM »
The tag coincides with the Marti report however concerned that the 3rd member isn't original for a June 69 build. Is it possible the 3rd member date would be that far away from the original build date of the car?
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 05:54:24 PM »
The tag coincides with the Marti report however concerned that the 3rd member isn't original for a June 69 build. Is it possible the 3rd member date would be that far away from the original build date of the car?

Looking at other June 1969 built cars with 9 inch rearends I have collected dates from I see as far back as Jan 69 but believe one 6 months earlier would be a stretch
Jeff Speegle

Offline cob428

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
ok Thanks Jeff this gets uglier and uglier the more I dig into it.
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 06:14:54 PM »
Got to expect these sort of things after 50 years. So often it was just easier to replace things rather than repair.  Just like today in most of our lives. Few if any shoe, vacuum, radio, alternator/starter ........ repair shops left out there ;)

Keeps the catalog/online parts biz going though
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 03:22:30 AM »
It's not so bad.  It's not like it's a VIN-stamped part.  Just a casting date part - and a pretty easy one to find at that!

:-)
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 08:06:45 AM »
I can also tell you, some creative dealerships swapped axles for customers. Just another ripple to contend with...

Offline cob428

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
ok found one, April 30th date code 69. OK so my differential is an open 3.00 . In concourse how do you determine if the owner has that "number" or "open" rear differential. Say someone when to a bigger gear 3.50 witha limited slip" Would a judge find that in concourse "driven" class?
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 01:17:51 PM »
doubt it. judges do not check ratios and internal parts. only outward appearances.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
ok found one, April 30th date code 69. OK so my differential is an open 3.00 . In concourse how do you determine if the owner has that "number" or "open" rear differential. Say someone when to a bigger gear 3.50 witha limited slip" Would a judge find that in concourse "driven" class?
Tags would need to reflect what was original for the application. The ratio and or if it has traction lock is not something typically checked for even in the strictest class's . Now if you go bragging about how you beat the system then expect push back.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »
However, in concours judging (not thoroughbred) isn't it true the part has to look correct but the casting date is ignored? If the part looks different (like single rib instead of double, N case, etc) then it would "look different" and not pass.
Wouldn't the same hold true of the tag? Isn't the tag the same as a part number and as long as it looks like a FoMoCo tag it's accepted?

Hmmm, maybe this should go into the concours forum folder . . .
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »
However, in concours judging (not thoroughbred) isn't it true the part has to look correct but the casting date is ignored? If the part looks different (like single rib instead of double, N case, etc) then it would "look different" and not pass.
Wouldn't the same hold true of the tag? Isn't the tag the same as a part number and as long as it looks like a FoMoCo tag it's accepted?

Hmmm, maybe this should go into the concours forum folder . . .
In all but Thoroughbred The date code is not relevant. The rear should have a tag since it was typical that they did. The information on the tag could be a issue depending on the what information is there . Correct tags are available from Marti. If a random tag that has information from a 8 inch or different car line is used then I would hope that the restorer would have the sensibility to turn it backwards so the information cannot be read . I look at it like a paint marking if none are there it wouldn't be a deduction but if the wrong marking is then it would be grounds for some type of deduction or at least a mention depending on what and where. I Would rather see a blank tag rather then one marked with a 2.72 ratio marked for a different car line vs. the correct 3.89 for a 67 4 sp GT350 for example. At least that is the way I interpret the guidelines with my judges hat on. Others may think differently. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »
ok found one, April 30th date code 69. OK so my differential is an open 3.00 . In concourse how do you determine if the owner has that "number" or "open" rear differential. ............

Same way a judge or judges confirm that you used Ford rings, bearings and pistons (for example) in the engine.

As far as mismatched tag go, findings like that just invite judges to spend more time looking for other "silly" mistakes and choices. Not what most people showing cars want.
If they are found on other assemblies (engine or transmissions for example) those come into play in the sections of the sheets reserved to confirm things like engine, exterior color, interior and transmission. Those can big hits
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 09:24:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle