Author Topic: Plastic Sorting Containers  (Read 1168 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Plastic Sorting Containers
« on: October 25, 2020, 07:03:04 PM »
Thought I would pass this on. As far as I know I don't don't have any financial connection (who knows with mutual funds that are changing daily) with either of these companies and of course price and availability will likely change over time. 

If your like me, I have purchased, over time, the flat plastic (with locking lid) sorting containers and have purchased them from multiple companies over the decades. Since I needed to purchase some for someone else the other day, I decided to add to my collection that I use for my stamps and use my old ones to sort some nuts, bolts and small clips and such with my old ones. Need a couple more, as the my collection grows, I didn't want to mix and match brands or sizes with a concern about uniformity and stacking. I looked around to see what was available and since I have had a pretty good experience with the last company (none of them hold up well to dropping and stepping on) Plano I searched them out.

Picture shows three of the sizes I purchased

Looked around and found that they had changed their design somewhat - big surprise - with some improvements IMHO. Doing a search online came up with a company with a very IMHO reasonable price. In fact a lower price than I spent 10 years ago on a similar size. So I order three different sizes and numbers, so each came from different location. Delivery took one to four days for standard shipping. My volume provided me with free shipping.

Realize that parts take up more space as you sort and store them but I find it helpful to not to have to sort through buckets and cans of little parts and digging though them every time seems to wear the plating finishes more than I would like to.

- Pricing example - the size and version below is listed for $5 ea

- Hope this helps others and here is a link to the one page and size shown above

https://www.zoro.com/plano-molding-compartment-box-6-to-21-compartmnt-clear-2-3600-01/i/G4815246/?q=g4815246
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:07:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Plastic Sorting Containers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »
Those plastic bins are very handy indeed.  I use one almost every day when refurbishing wiring for butt splices, pins, small connectors, etc.
I also use a large rolling shelf structure with plastic bins that are about 3" x 10" x 3" high that are used in industrial settings for larger and/or heavier objects. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 04:31:16 PM »
Yes I've also seen people build racks, shelves and other "structures" to arrange and stored filled containers. Just find them very help and for the price I thought I would share. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline MorganLeBlanc

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 05:39:05 PM »
I have many of those plastic bins that I use for all the nuts, bolts, and screws.  However, the nut or bolt I need is always in the plastic container a the bottom of the stack.
Morgan LeBlanc
1969 Mustang Mach 1 S-Code Black Jade
Shelby 427 Cobra CSX4766
Fresno CA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
If I have to stack them I try and leave the heavier ones on the bottom. The weight of some of these filled with metal can build up quickly if used for nuts and bolt storage
Jeff Speegle