Author Topic: Power steering pulley detailing  (Read 1353 times)

Offline ruppstang

Power steering pulley detailing
« on: April 25, 2021, 10:38:47 PM »
I am working on power detailing a 68 steering pulley. I was told that very front surface that the puller would engage was left bare steel. I looked through all of my unrestored pumps and found paint on them. If the assembly plant makes a difference it came from Metuchen. If it matters it is a Ford Thompson pump.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Power steering pulley detailing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 10:12:08 PM »
Marty, unrestored nj cars typically have front face bare steel. Even if pump has been repainted you will often see pitting on that surface and none on pulley
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 11:26:27 PM »
Marty, unrestored nj cars typically have front face bare steel. Even if pump has been repainted you will often see pitting on that surface and none on pulley

Big block and small block?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 07:00:09 AM »
I am working on power detailing a 68 steering pulley. I was told that very front surface that the puller would engage was left bare steel. I looked through all of my unrestored pumps and found paint on them. If the assembly plant makes a difference it came from Metuchen. If it matters it is a Ford Thompson pump.

Without trying to hijack the thread, details like this would likely carry across many Ford model/option lines (as well as year-model coverage).

I wonder is a larger net might be cast on this detail.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 12:54:57 PM »
Without trying to hijack the thread, details like this would likely carry across many Ford model/option lines (as well as year-model coverage).

I wonder is a larger net might be cast on this detail.
The "application" can be verified by the use of Ford Car Parts (aka MPC), a copy of which is located in this Forum's Library section under each major topic.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 03:29:46 PM »
The "application" can be verified by the use of Ford Car Parts (aka MPC), a copy of which is located in this Forum's Library section under each major topic.
Jim
No, I think you misunderstood me...not application as a part number or what all vehicles a particular pulley fits onto...
I was referring to the detail of the pulley having BARE STEEL on the "puller groove", or perhaps a better term, the hub of the pulley. Is this something found on other cars BESIDES just the O.P. 's application.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 04:39:41 PM »
Is this something found on other cars BESIDES just the O.P. 's application.
That is commonly known as "application", also known as "where used", as on other cars of the Ford lines. How you "apply" paint is another use for the word "application" (isn't English fun).
Now, to an "application" technique. I bead blasted almost all the pulleys used on my Mustangs, then paint them. Paint in the "groves" can cause belt slippage. Ford had a 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide rubber ring of appropriate pulley diameter that went in the grove as a painting mask. Now, where do you find a rubber ring on short notice? I used 1/2 inch wide masking tape to mack the grove, several wraps around, stuffing, twisting and covering out to about 1/8 inch of the edge of the ring, then painted. A couple of minutes of the car's engine running "softened" the painted edge, just like an original pulley would get.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 05:29:00 PM »
No, I think you misunderstood me...not application as a part number or what all vehicles a particular pulley fits onto...
I was referring to the detail of the pulley having BARE STEEL on the "puller groove", or perhaps a better term, the hub of the pulley. Is this something found on other cars BESIDES just the O.P. 's application.

Yes we have seen/found a similar practice on other applications and years but would not apply it to all without further detailed investigation.. So not "all" statement across the years at this point IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 05:37:22 PM »

Big block and small block?
I can?t say unilaterally for all mustangs but since I am referring to this and I think Marty is as a Shelby application they use the same pump big block or small block so the answer would be yes
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 06:30:12 PM »
That is commonly known as "application", also known as "where used", as on other cars of the Ford lines. How you "apply" paint is another use for the word "application" (isn't English fun).
Now, to an "application" technique. I bead blasted almost all the pulleys used on my Mustangs, then paint them. Paint in the "groves" can cause belt slippage. Ford had a 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide rubber ring of appropriate pulley diameter that went in the grove as a painting mask. Now, where do you find a rubber ring on short notice? I used 1/2 inch wide masking tape to mack the grove, several wraps around, stuffing, twisting and covering out to about 1/8 inch of the edge of the ring, then painted. A couple of minutes of the car's engine running "softened" the painted edge, just like an original pulley would get.
Jim

I apply a light coat of natural  paint or clear to the inside. Wipe away the sides with solvent rag.
Cut a bungee cord slightly smaller than the circumference and put it into the groove.
A metal "C" holds the ends of the bungee together.
Paint and then remove the bungee.

The natural paint or clear is so the deepest grooves don't get rusty.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 06:36:12 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline dkknab

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 10:06:09 PM »
Old thread that I just discovered.  Am I to understand that I should not have painted the groves on my fan pulley and crank pulley?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 12:05:40 AM »
Old thread that I just discovered.  Am I to understand that I should not have painted the groves on my fan pulley and crank pulley?
Yup. Read my reply number 6. Ford "wrapped" what is best described as a very large rubber band in the grove as a mask, then painted the pulley. Upon removal, what do you get?
Jim

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 12:44:11 AM »
Yup. Read my reply number 6. Ford "wrapped" what is best described as a very large rubber band in the grove as a mask, then painted the pulley. Upon removal, what do you get?
Jim

The question asked in this thread is whether or not the hub or puller groove is painted. I think we can all agree that the belt groove is unpainted.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2024, 11:31:15 AM »
The question asked in this thread is whether or not the hub or puller groove is painted. I think we can all agree that the belt groove is unpainted.
I'm sure I answered in the affirmative, and also presented a practical "how to" example based on what Ford did.
Jim

Offline dkknab

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2024, 11:58:39 AM »
I'm sure I answered in the affirmative, and also presented a practical "how to" example based on what Ford did.
Jim

Do MCA judges look negatively towards painted grooves?

How about the power steering pump pulley.  Mine appears to have some black paint in the groove.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662