Author Topic: 69 shelby antenna  (Read 6869 times)

Offline mach1one

69 shelby antenna
« on: October 05, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »
In the process of detailing my 69 trunk. I have a shelby teardrop tip antenna I've been told is  a correct antenna for my car. It is marked PM300. I.m not so sure I have the correct hardware to attach the cable to the antenna itself. The antenna has a sunken male plug on the upper body with a collar. what does the correct cable look like. What does the correct hardware look like to connect the antenna base to fender well lip and the plummers tape and above at the clamp.What type of/screws/washers/nuts were used? Any info and photos would be helpful Thanks Lu

Offline mach1one

Re: 69 shelby antenna
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »
bump

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
I will take some pics today and post later tonight. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »
Sorry can't seem to find the right file with all the close ups from the 69 I'm helping with.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »
These pictures represent a typical installation. The antenna was left in the trunk for the dealer to install so location and technique may very. The hardware must be representative of what came with the antenna because it is what I have seen on hundreds of installations. Notice the clamp on the antenna tube how it has raised edges. The support or strap that is referred to as plumbers tape is somewhat of a misconception since it came so thick it is difficult to bend let alone come in a roll like plumbers tape.The metal strap comes longer then needed and it was cut to length. I don't have a one handy to measure but approximately a 10 inch stick.  The cut  length varies depending on where the dealer installed the antenna and where he place the clamp on the tube. The most stable installation has the clamp at the bottom . I have seen it mounted way up on the tube which gives virtually no support but allows the dealer technician to install it without cutting the strap to length.The strap was meant to be secured at the base of the wheel house in the eyelet where the nylon zip tie holds part of the wiring harness. No need to remove the nylon tie. The hardware that came with it was normally a stove bolt slotted head with a square nut on the back side. I forgot to measure the length or thread size but approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch long . Hopfully you can tell from the picture and the size of the hole limits diameter. I hope this helps . Bob 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:39:06 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
Here are some more pictures. don't be confused by the nut . A square nut must have come in the hardware supplied and I just haven't changed it out. I wouldn't fuss if I saw a regular nut in judging because I could envision a dealer technician taking one look at the nut and pitching it in the trash and replacing it with a more conventional nut. Bob
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:36:29 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
Here are some more pictures. don't be confused by the nut . A square nut must have come in the hardware supplied and I just haven't changed it out. I wouldn't fuss if I saw a regular nut in judging because I could envision a dealer technician taking one look at the nut and pitching it in the trash and replacing it with a more conventional nut..................

I would like to see that "different" square nut in the application on a restoration, just me. Figure that it was in the kit, it is part of what makes the assy unique and would like to see the special details maintained if there is no historical documentation to suggest anything different

I have seen it mounted way up on the tube which gives virtually no support but allows the dealer technician to install it without cutting the strap to length...........

Think I've seen more with the upper mounting location than the lower and for what ever reason I've seen more of the convertibles with the lower.

On the high mount the "plumbers tape" looking stuff (agreed allot heavier  than plumbers tape) does not have evenly spaced holes on the original brackets on the ones I've seen.

Found some  pictures  - Still can't find all the ones of the cable and its markings :(

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:42:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline frankishelby

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »
what is the diameter of the hole for the antena please ? ,
I have a 67 mustang in my drive way, is it the same diameter?

thank's
1967 GT-350 (1427)
1967 convertible (67 shelby clone project for my wife)
1992 LX special edition feature car red edition convertible

Offline SCJSTU

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 02:35:59 PM »
Bringing this old thread back up

Have a Jan 69 built GT350 convertible

What is the correct antenna?.........power or manual?

Location?.......anywhere on rear qtr?

Part number?

Better yet anyone got one for sale?

Thanks, Stuart
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible  4spd-AC built 1-27-69
1967 Mustang S-Code 4-speed built Jan 1967 non therm
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi

1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
2004 Mach 1 Azure Blue

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 03:03:34 PM »
Bringing this old thread back up

Have a Jan 69 built GT350 convertible

What is the correct antenna?.........power or manual?

Location?.......anywhere on rear qtr?

Part number?

Better yet anyone got one for sale?

Thanks, Stuart
Stuart the one on your car is a over the counter Ford accessory option most often seen on full size cars. It was a very common day 2 personalization  for 69/70 Shelby owners. The position of the antenna varied somewhat from one to another because it was dealer installed when new. It is fun to look down a line of 69/70 cars from the rear and see the slight variations of antenna positions. The factory fixed mast antenna was only serviced for a very short period of time if at all.The only factory antenna is identified with the PM300 markings on the underside base. They are very rare on the secondary market and it is common for them to trade hands in the 1000.00 range that is if you can find a genuine one to buy. The very rarely come up for sale. There is a ebay seller that frequently sells some he has put together from parts that is a exact duplicate from parts but it is for show only because the internal connection between the antenna mast and the coaxial cable is not able to be made. I have seen him sell them for 4-600.00 oer the years. Don't be fooled by one of the other accessory antennas Ford sold which is the C5AZ-18813-J. It is often seen for sale and attributed as a Shelby application. No it isn't.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 03:07:48 PM by Bob Gaines »