Author Topic: Anyone know where I can find early 2 1/2" hole tail light housing seals?  (Read 559 times)

Offline kkupec02

My rubber seals for my early 2 1/2" hole tail light housings are old. I can find online seal kits for the later 1967 Shelby tail light housings. But can not find a set for the early version. NPD only sells the later version 1 7/8" hole version. Branda sells neither. West Coast Classic Cougar sells a set but it doesn't say which size hole it is for and it is foam, not rubber. I have a call into them, but they are too busy to answer the phone. NPD part:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-set-taillight-housing/175759

Don't know if I need to try and hydrate mine to save them. Thanks
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline kkupec02

Re: Anyone know where I can find early 2 1/2" hole tail light housing seals?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 05:01:58 PM »
West Coast Classic Cougar responded and said that their foam seals are for the later 1 7/8" holes. They know of no one who makes the early 2 1/2" version.
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 05:15:55 PM »
My rubber seals for my early 2 1/2" hole tail light housings are old. I can find online seal kits for the later 1967 Shelby tail light housings. But can not find a set for the early version. NPD only sells the later version 1 7/8" hole version. Branda sells neither. West Coast Classic Cougar sells a set but it doesn't say which size hole it is for and it is foam, not rubber. I have a call into them, but they are too busy to answer the phone. NPD part:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-set-taillight-housing/175759

Don't know if I need to try and hydrate mine to save them. Thanks
The 67 Shelby used a 67 Cougar tail light housing . Your NPD link is for a Mustang and they did not look the same. The seals are shaped like a donut. There are 3 of one size and a fourth one that is larger. I don't know about what is available repro as I have always found the originals accessible. I don't know if you can rejuvenate hard or cracked rubber donuts. I have never seen them for sale used sold separately. You may have to buy the entire housing to get just the donuts. WCCC would have nice used housings . I see singles and pairs constantly for sale on Ebay. If you realize you can only source them by buying a entire housing then look around first so that you know what the going price is and then check with me I will try and help . Sorry I only want to sell complete housings.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 09:07:11 PM »
Thanks. I will start checking around for used. Mine also aren't that that bad. I will have to see what other used ones look like.
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 09:23:42 PM »
I just checked mine again. No cracks and no cracks starting. No discoloration. Still slightly pliable, not hard. I wanted to replace with nice new rubber. But if none available, I might be better off with what I already have. I'll do some checking around though. Thanks again.
1967 Corvette Roadster