Author Topic: Finish on the fill plug on rear end housing  (Read 869 times)

Offline markscustompaint

Finish on the fill plug on rear end housing
« on: April 27, 2022, 01:31:06 PM »
Hi I have searched and can't find out what the finish on the fill plug on the back of the housing is supposed to be.  Is it painted in place or phosphate and oil?
Thanks,
Mark

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Finish on the fill plug on rear end housing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 01:54:09 PM »
Hi I have searched and can't find out what the finish on the fill plug on the back of the housing is supposed to be.  Is it painted in place or phosphate and oil?
Thanks,
Mark
I have seen them both ways however I believe that they were added after the housing was painted . At the very least unpainted would be more typical then painted. Unpainted I would go with ether P/O or gun blueing .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Scott302

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 02:46:13 PM »
379166-S.  Ford Standard Parts books call for no finish, just plain bare steel.
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 02:53:09 PM »
379166-S.  Ford Standard Parts books call for no finish, just plain bare steel.
Is paint sprayed into the fill hole acceptable? Was there a masking plug used? The "Ford Standard Parts" reference is after the assembly line and is primarily for replacement parts, but the plug could be bare. A "lite" phosphate and oil would be my preference.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 02:57:11 PM »
Thanks,
Mark
Given your picture shows a stripped /blasted fill plug that is not how a bare steel fill plug looks when first installed. As I mentioned before a P/O (light would be my preference too) or gun blueing will give a finish closer to the way the bolt looked when first installed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline markscustompaint

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 03:35:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 03:43:23 PM »
I have seen them both ways however I believe that they were added after the housing was painted . At the very least unpainted would be more typical then painted. Unpainted I would go with ether P/O or gun blueing .

+1

Believe originally they were installed after the rearend was filled. This just saved a step so that it didn't need to be removed and reinstalled plus the chance of dropping and losing them during the process
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)