Author Topic: 68 Dearborn Running Change Thread -Drivers Side Firewall Retainer Strap  (Read 857 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
The subject of the use and application of the thin flat plastic retainer strap attached to the metal post that is welded to the upper drivers side corner of the firewall, just under the cowl to firewall pinch weld came up in a thread and in my search for original examples I rand across a possible running change in how the retainer was "closed" and wanted to document this possible change and open up a discussion, reports of and findings to look into the subject
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As of 9/12/23 we have collected the following helping us determine at least when each version was used and the change over period somewhere in between sometime in April 68 and the start of May or so. We don't have have real built dates for the April built Dearborn examples.

So at this point I have the following according to what I'm seeing with VINs and or dates

Method or Version #1 - Straps attached post to post for lack of a better term at this point

- 8F5346xx Jan 24, 1968 build date
- 8F17189x Mar 27, 1968 possible scheduled build date
- 8F183XXX April 18, 1968 scheduled build date (CT428CJ)
- 8F18222x April 23, 1968 scheduled date. Picture does not show the end but the angle and direction suggests post to post

Method or Version #2 -Straps attached to the post and to itself with a plastic push pin

- 8Fxxxxxx May 4, 1968 (warwick)
- 8F20531x Built June 11, 1968
- 8F206XXX June 13, 1968 scheduled build date (CT428CJ)
- 8F206XX2 June 14, 1968 scheduled build date (CT428CJ)
- 8F02R211073 Built July 18, 1968 (Anghelrestorations)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One from 8F17189x

This example appears to show that during the construction of this car they looped both ends to the anchor like the example above. 8F18222x

And one from later in the year and 8F20531x that is also featured in the 68 Unrestored Picture Thread section of this site.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 03:34:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Strap discussion

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27036.msg166140#msg166140

Thanks had forgotten that thread and of course since it was one you started you apparently had not forgotten.  ;)

Guess now we can give a closer focus on specific plants, more detail and production periods

Since you didn't include where the strap came from in your first post and where the last post picture came from maybe you can share those now if they were from a 68 Dearborn car or if not share them back in the other thread.  Thanks again

Will copy and paste the pictures from CT428CJ since he identified that his were 68 Dearborn unfortunately he didn't identify when of partial VINs to better identify them but his show one of each. Looped to metal post and looped to plastic pin
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 06:02:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline warwick

All pics of Strap are from Dearborn built Cougar build date 5/4/68.

Offline CT428CJ

I've seen them in Dearborn Assembled Mustangs built from April 1968 through at least the 3rd week of July in 1968. Of course it could have been used prior to April. All were attached to the "T" stud on one end and pinned on the other. I even found one that had been screwed together with a small phillips head screw.

The strap can be seen in two unrestored Mustangs documented on this site:

The 13th picture in the unrestored T code Dearborn Coupe: https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5365.0

Photo EC-16 of the highland green unrestored 1968 Coupe: https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20238.0
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 08:29:25 PM by CT428CJ »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I've seen them in Dearborn Assembled Mustangs built from April 1968 through at least the 3rd week of July in 1968. Of course it could have been used prior to April. All were attached to the "T" stud on one end and pinned on the other. I even found one that had been screwed together with a small phillips head screw.

The strap can be seen in two unrestored Mustangs documented on this site:

The 13th picture in the unrestored T code Dearborn Coupe: https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5365.0

Photo EC-16 of the highland green unrestored 1968 Coupe: https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20238.0

Those two pictures were included in the intial post
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator

All pics of Strap are from Dearborn built Cougar build date 5/4/68.

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
I just disassembled a June 68 built Dearborn Cobra Jet that had this strap.  Was careful to remove it and save it so can add photos of it off the car if needed here. 

20230828_092834 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline jwc66k

I just disassembled a June 68 built Dearborn Cobra Jet that had this strap.  Was careful to remove it and save it so can add photos of it off the car if needed here. 

20230828_092834 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
That strap looks to be Ford hardware part number 374320-S as shown in the 1968 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0023) pg 41. It has many other uses from 1967 to 1973 Mustangs in the engine compartment. It is available from AMK.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CT428CJ

This strap is 7 1/2 inches long by 3/8 in wide.

Some additional photos from unrestored cars attached.

8F183XXX scheduled build date 18D
8FXXX build date unknown
8F206XXX scheduled build date: 13F
8F206XXX_2 scheduled build date 14F
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 01:12:57 PM by CT428CJ »

• Anghel Restorations
That strap looks to be Ford hardware part number 374320-S as shown in the 1968 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0023) pg 41. It has many other uses from 1967 to 1973 Mustangs in the engine compartment. It is available from AMK.
Jim

Jim - This is a completely different strap than the 374320-S.  What AMK sells is not at all the same as the photos and topic here. 
Marcus Anghel

• Anghel Restorations
Pictures I posted are from 8F02R211073 built on July 18 1968.  My mistake...thought it was built in June.
Marcus Anghel

Offline CT428CJ

Corrections or additions invited

See my post above with partial VIN and associated scheduled build dates for additions.

Offline jwc66k

This is a completely different strap than the 374320-S.  What AMK sells is not at all the same as the photos and topic here.
Your pictures depict a strap with slots, the same as 374320-S. "Completely different"? No. The question is length, and possibly width.
This same strap is shown being used on the right side engine compartment used for the heater fan wiring, yet no discussion or pictures have been posted for that one. Also as part of the discussion is that the strap is used thru at least 1973 in the engine compartment for similar functions. If this was a running change, the longer strap would have been documented in those years, and possibly covered in a TSB. I don't dispute the existence of the longer version, its use may have been an oddity and inspectors were not interested in stopping the assembly line.
Apparently AMK does not currently carry strap 374320-S.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.