Author Topic: Correct finish for 70 Mustang front end castle nuts  (Read 613 times)

Offline boss167961

Correct finish for 70 Mustang front end castle nuts
« on: November 27, 2023, 04:14:21 AM »
Metuchen 70 Boss 302, but likely a question relevant to all 70 Mustangs. Rebuilding my entire front end with restored OE and NOS parts. As a final detail, can someone please confirm that all the castle nuts would have been phosphate and NOT yellow cad?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 12:24:43 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct finish for 70 Mustang front end castle nuts
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 08:14:30 PM »
Are you asking about the ones used on the steering or the spindle to upper and lower A arms?

Yes the same hardware would be the same between Boss 302 and other Mustang models.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline boss167961

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 11:37:20 PM »
Gday Jeff. Good to hear from you. I am referencing the nuts that attach the upper control arm ball joint to the spindle and which attach the tie rod ends to the spindle.

Martin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 12:33:51 AM »
Only came up with examples that were clear for Dearborn examples. Given how close and because they often shared the same suppliers for other parts I think they would be the same

On used or aged originals it appears that they were likely zinc but we know that dichromate doesn't hold up well over time and I think they were zinc dichromate. Sure if that statement is incorrect someone will offer that opinion.

Examples from two different cars.

Three examples from another car

And finally examples from a very low mileage (just over a thousand miles reported) example

Hope these help

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 01:27:47 AM »
Only came up with examples that were clear for Dearborn examples. Given how close and because they often shared the same suppliers for other parts I think they would be the same

On used or aged originals it appears that they were likely zinc but we know that dichromate doesn't hold up well over time and I think they were zinc dichromate. Sure if that statement is incorrect someone will offer that opinion.

Examples from two different cars.

Three examples from another car

And finally examples from a very low mileage (just over a thousand miles reported) example

Hope these help
To others who are not aware zinc dichromate (gold) is a protective process that goes over the zinc silver. The zinc dichromate has to have the zinc silver to stick to. As the zinc dichromate wears off only the zinc silver is left. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline boss167961

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 04:45:27 AM »

Excellent. As ever, thanks so much Jeff. As an aside I notice it also looks like the bolts which secure the brake caliper to the spindle are also zinc dichromate  - I didn?t know that

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 12:24:21 PM »
Excellent. As ever, thanks so much Jeff. As an aside I notice it also looks like the bolts which secure the brake caliper to the spindle are also zinc dichromate  - I didn?t know that
Not Jeff but I think that you are being tricked by the lighting in the picture. The caliper to spindle bolts are typically zinc phosphate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline boss167961

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 05:27:12 PM »
Not Jeff but I think that you are being tricked by the lighting in the picture. The caliper to spindle bolts are typically zinc phosphate.
Thanks Bob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 09:06:30 PM »

Think boss167961 you looking only at the last set of pictures and agree its a lighting issue from a second source so the angle changes the "look" Check out the middle group of pictures to see a better representation of the original find that matches the phosphate and oil finish. Also, general comment, try and find multiple examples to confirm details since there are times where a very nice or low mileage example has been "helped" by current or past owners to make them a little  ::) more presentable 

Jeff Speegle