Author Topic: 68 Engine Compartment Wiring Alternator Regulator Clip  (Read 583 times)

Offline dkknab

68 Engine Compartment Wiring Alternator Regulator Clip
« on: May 24, 2024, 05:36:35 PM »
Below my alternator regulator where the wire harness attaches next to the radiator there is a clip.  In the assembly manual page E8-1115-1 View A there is supposed to be a wire strap item 6.  I've attached that view.  In my instance there is a white inline wire clip that is a part of the wire wrap. My clip is broken.  So I replaced it with a strap but the hole is too large so the strap won't remain in place. 

I can't find the part number for this clip and it is odd that I have this clip and not the strap.

PS I just got my very own copy of the AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners.  I checked the last section of miscellaneous fasteners and it was not there.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 05:44:22 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Engine Compartment Wiring Alternator Regulator Clip
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 06:08:34 PM »
If its the same size that T retainer was also used the lower cowl to firewall pinch weld on the drivers side

Found tons of them in trunks of later Ford, Merc and Lincoln cars holding tail light looms in place since the original 69;'s are often brittle from the heat as well as discolored

Not sure if they are reproduced for the 69's but might check that heading

Did you want to discuss or investigate what clips were often used in that location on late 68 San Jose Mustangs?  Going to be a difficult location to find pictures of
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 06:13:16 PM »

Did you want to discuss or investigate what clips were often used in that location on late 68 San Jose Mustangs?  Going to be a difficult location to find pictures of

Thank you for the info.

It would be good to investigate which clips were used with late Metuchen NJ cars,  if that's what you meant.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 06:16:03 PM »
Thank you for the info.

It would be good to investigate which clips were used with late Metuchen NJ cars,  if that's what you meant.

Yes sorry- doing two things and thinking of two at the same time

Of course NJ cars might make it a little more difficult but we do have all the Shelbys we can use also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 08:10:01 PM »
In the assembly manual page E8-1115-1 View A there is supposed to be a wire strap item 6. 
Could you verify the document number "E8-1115-1".
I can't find the part number for this clip and it is odd that I have this clip and not the strap.
I think you will find that "clip" you are looking for is part of the wiring harness assembly, and as such is not serviced. Maybe Randy at "midlife" can shed some light on this.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 08:42:52 PM »
Could you verify the document number "E8-1115-1".I think you will find that "clip" you are looking for is part of the wiring harness assembly, and as such is not serviced. Maybe Randy at "midlife" can shed some light on this.
Jim

My mistake.  The page is E8-8115-1.

I did find another clip on my car just like it.  It's on the wire harness right behind the heater.  I've looked through the manual and could not find it at all.

I did find an example on AMK site for Chrysler.  It's part B-10976 and it's black though my clips are white.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 08:45:32 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline dkknab

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 11:14:41 AM »
I think I may have found the T clip. Deadnutson.com has it but it seems the picture doesn't accurately depict the part they have.

I found another option at cgfordparts.com. I've ordered a few and we'll see when it arrives if it's like the original.  The Ford part number they list is C7AZ-13A506-S and it's called a Wire Loom Clip.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 11:50:19 AM »
The 13A506 basic part number description is "Retainer - Rear Lamp Wiring", not the generic term used by cgfordparts.com.   The name would imply a pretty specific use case, although the design has nothing limiting it to the rear of the car.   As can be read in the 65-72 MPC (picture attached), the engineers found the part versatile enough to use in other use cases, including vacuum lines and the antenna lead. 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Online jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 02:04:59 PM »
Below my alternator regulator where the wire harness attaches next to the radiator there is a clip.  In the assembly manual page E8-1115-1 View A there is supposed to be a wire strap item 6.  I've attached that view.  In my instance there is a white inline wire clip that is a part of the wire wrap. My clip is broken.  So I replaced it with a strap but the hole is too large so the strap won't remain in place. 
Back to your original problem, the specified strap, 376914-S, as specified in the 1968 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AMAM0023) page 8, Ford drawing E8-8115-1 (since corrected), view A, is what I would expect to be used if I were judging your Mustang.
You state the mounting hole is too big and the strap "won't remain". That is an indication of two situations - the mounting hole is too big, or the mounting "stud" is too small in diameter.
Solutions:
1. Make the hole smaller. This is not as difficult as it sounds, if the car was going to be repainted. With a torch and two ball peen hammers, the mounting hole could be heated and "deformed" enough smaller to retain the "stud". It's a technique I've seen done at a local body shop for sheet metal screws that have "stripped their mounting holes.
2. Make the mounting "stud" larger. In this case, cutting a slit about 3/4 of the way up the "stud" with a very thin saw, thinner than a hack saw, or a "Dremmel" cutting disc, to make two "tabs" and then prying apart the two "tabs", will make the mounting "stud" larger in diameter. This "prying" could be done before the strap is installed, or after, with a small flat blade screwdriver. If you apply some 3M8008 or 3M08581 black weather strip adhesive, then cover your "artwork" with undercoating, it will hold (and I won't tell). If you think the strap might still come out, cut a tiny wedge from another mounting strap and inset that into the newly cut slit, then apply the adhesive. This will work if in the near or distant future, the strap is not intended to be removed.
(Think outside the box.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2024, 03:09:40 PM »
Back to your original problem, the specified strap, 376914-S, as specified in the 1968 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AMAM0023) page 8, Ford drawing E8-8115-1 (since corrected), view A, is what I would expect to be used if I were judging your Mustang.
You state the mounting hole is too big and the strap "won't remain". That is an indication of two situations - the mounting hole is too big, or the mounting "stud" is too small in diameter.
Solutions:
1. Make the hole smaller. This is not as difficult as it sounds, if the car was going to be repainted. With a torch and two ball peen hammers, the mounting hole could be heated and "deformed" enough smaller to retain the "stud". It's a technique I've seen done at a local body shop for sheet metal screws that have "stripped their mounting holes.
2. Make the mounting "stud" larger. In this case, cutting a slit about 3/4 of the way up the "stud" with a very thin saw, thinner than a hack saw, or a "Dremmel" cutting disc, to make two "tabs" and then prying apart the two "tabs", will make the mounting "stud" larger in diameter. This "prying" could be done before the strap is installed, or after, with a small flat blade screwdriver. If you apply some 3M8008 or 3M08581 black weather strip adhesive, then cover your "artwork" with undercoating, it will hold (and I won't tell). If you think the strap might still come out, cut a tiny wedge from another mounting strap and inset that into the newly cut slit, then apply the adhesive. This will work if in the near or distant future, the strap is not intended to be removed.
(Think outside the box.)
Jim

Thank you for those suggestions.  I've been trying to come up with a way to use that strap. I measured my hole and it is. 28 inches as opposed to .25 inches for the holes using the strap. So clearly the hole is too big for the standard strap.

I've used the first technique in the past with holes that are too large for sheet metal screws.  Typically with them there is metal around the hole that has expanded and can be beaten back to size.  I've not tried to "deform" the hole to make it smaller though.

As Jeff mentioned earlier,  it would be good to investigate if this was typical of other NJ cars and my loom t-clip is ok or was it done by a PO.

That being said does anyone with a 68 NJ hand pictures of their regulator area that shows the wiring to the right of the regulator as you look at it from inside the engine compartment that you could share?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 03:13:00 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2024, 04:55:48 PM »

I have an extra one. PM me if you need it.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock