Author Topic: Rear leaf springs - 69 GT500  (Read 7120 times)

Offline shelbyvillemustangs

Rear leaf springs - 69 GT500
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »
I have read through all posts on refinishing rear leaf springs, I am now more confused than before.  I am a newby to Concours Mustangs Forum and I am in the process of re-doing the rear leaf springs, axle, etc. on my 1969 GT 500.  I have sandblasted the springs, which might have been a mistake, but now I need help on putting a finish on them.  Has anybody tried Por-15 metal mask?  Some suggestions say eastwood phosphate finish.  Please help with any suggestions on the finish of the springs, spring clamp, shackle, and shock plates.  Also, what is the best suggestion for rear shocks?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rear leaf springs - 69 GT500
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:02:37 AM »
Not familiar with the POR Metal Mask - used their other products (like the over rust stuff) and will not do that again.

Since you blasted the springs and clamps you will have to get the surface and the color back to where it should be. The clamps can just be replaced if your style and type are available

If your going with paint then I would used the Phosphate, charcoal then stain paints as mentioned in the other thread. If not go with the Insta Black on the springs and then a protecting oil to finish them - then reassemble with all the right hardware, insulators and clamps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
Not familiar with the POR Metal Mask - used their other products (like the over rust stuff) and will not do that again.

Since you blasted the springs and clamps you will have to get the surface and the color back to where it should be. The clamps can just be replaced if your style and type are available

If your going with paint then I would used the Phosphate, charcoal then stain paints as mentioned in the other thread. If not go with the Insta Black on the springs and then a protecting oil to finish them - then reassemble with all the right hardware, insulators and clamps
To add to Jeff's good suggestions - the bottom shock plates are a bare steel metal look ,so you have to do with paint or metal preservitive to acchive that goal. On the rear shocks ,they could be Black ,dark blue or white depending on how your GT500 was equiped and when it was built at Ford. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »
Jeff you said in your post that "since you blasted the springs...." is there a better way to prep them from 50 years of oxidation? This will be one of the projects I need to tackle in the coming months.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:42:08 AM »
Jeff you said in your post that "since you blasted the springs...." is there a better way to prep them from 50 years of oxidation? This will be one of the projects I need to tackle in the coming months.

I'll let others respond since I am spoiled since local stuff often has little or no rust - basically nothing more than dust and maybe some road crud
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »
Yes jeff rub it in you west coast guys got it made with the no-rust issue but when it comes to interior, rubber & trim the north east cars are much better. I made several trips to south west for metal only & suspension parts that interchange. The problem is with dearborn cars (you know where they made the best and coolest cars) very few of them ended up on west coast so rust-free dearborn cars never show-up in your area junkyards. Even things like the shackles had c6dz stamped on them in SJ and are incorrect on 69 shelby leaf springs and other dearborn cars from what i seen. By the way speaking of S9MS springs what about C9ZX 69 shelby leaf springs?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
It's a blessing and a curse living in a dry area. When it does rain, most people out here forget to roll up their windows or put up "the top". I've seen some really rotted out cars on the left coast because of neglect: a 65 or 66 Fastback with the entire lower portion of the panel on the rear window between the trunk - gone; the lower front section of doors rotted with an accumulation of leaves keeping in the "wet"; the trunk drop off full of little quarter size holes. Out here we don't think of rust much, so the problem is worse. The danger of West Coast is rust brought on by procrastination.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:58 PM »
Yes jeff rub it in you west coast guys got it made with the no-rust issue but when it comes to interior, rubber & trim the north east cars are much better. I made several trips to south west for metal only & suspension parts that interchange. The problem is with dearborn cars (you know where they made the best and coolest cars) very few of them ended up on west coast so rust-free dearborn cars never show-up in your area junkyards.

That's why you check yards near military bases since those guys often brought with them their Mustangs from Dearborn and NJ. Had a nice (good original paint cars) pair of 66 coupes in the shop a couple of months back. One was brought out early (you could tell from the lic plate sequence) from Dearborn and the other NJ. Both where the same exterior and interior

In any case there are positives and negative in any situation but I think we're still ahead LOL
Jeff Speegle

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »
 What numbers would be stamped on the rear leaf springs on my 69 GT500 ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:42:56 AM »

When was your car built?  Or the Car number?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:58:30 AM »
I only have 5 Dearborn cars in my backyard....seems thats all I keep finding out here in Arizona in the cars (69-70) that I am parting out.  I may be buying my first San Jose car next week....but they are far and few out here. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 03:41:28 AM »
Marcus maybe northern snowbirds went to AZ for winter & never left & thats why so many new homes built there last 20 years.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
It depends on when you caer was built at AO Smith in this case.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
 My car was built on april 17th, the vin is 482093 the spring has the number s9ms5560A above that number they have the number 0739, Is that correct number? so its a early 69, what color would the shocks be? does any one know where I can get a correct set? I have monroe shocks on it now,    thanks for the help   

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
My car was built on april 17th, the vin is 482093 the spring has the number s9ms5560A above that number they have the number 0739, Is that correct number? so its a early 69, what color would the shocks be? does any one know where I can get a correct set? I have monroe shocks on it now,    thanks for the help
That is the typical Shelby engineering number for that time sequence. 2093 is not a early car but mid production. The shocks would be white Ford C9 adjustables . The are a 69/70 Shelby only shock. The are very rare. Rare=pricey . They seldom come up for sale. Bob
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:46:38 PM by Bob Gaines »