Author Topic: Kick Panels for a '65  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Kick Panels for a '65
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
Does anyone know if an exact copy of a '65 factory convertible kick panel is available?  Compare the original factory kick panel on the left with the repro on the right.  Besides the fact that is is the wrong shade of red it also has a totally different shape across the top edge.  The new Scott Drake "concours correct" version is not even correct-based on the photos on the Scott Drake web site.  What am I missing here?  Is there a correct repro available?   ??? TIA
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:01:27 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline C5ZZ

Re: Kick Panels for a '65
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:43:18 AM »
Gary,
I have a pair of 65 red repro conv kick panels that have a nice grain imprint
but not sure on the cutout at the top, I can take pictures for you.
NPD use to carry one of the better repros, tryed to order them
for my car but they don't carry them anymore, they had a lot of
supplier delivery problems.
Steve (65fastback6)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:45:06 AM by C5ZZ »
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:47:12 AM »
Hi Steve-

I'm trying to track down the best ones that I can.  I'm even wondering if I can possibly repair the cracks that are in my original panels, maybe use some sort of glue on the back side and then repaint the front.  There has to be a decent repro of these, it's such a common item.

Gary
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
Gary,
I'm going through the same problem on my fastback, just
can't find good used or repros that look good.

Here are some pictures of 65 conv repros I have,
cut is not like your original, has good grain but color
is off some. Leave me a pm if you are interested in them.
Steve
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:55:17 PM by C5ZZ »
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »
Here is a picture of a original Ford kick panel of a 65 Dearborn coupe,
about 9/64 build, different cut out at the top than yours, wouldn't
think that conv versus coupe would be different in that area for any reason.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »
............. wouldn't  think that conv versus coupe would be different in that area for any reason.

Isn't there a compensation (been a long time since I've messed with an early convertible) for the larger raised inner rocker?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »
Isn't there a compensation (been a long time since I've messed with an early convertible) for the larger raised inner rocker?

Yes-kind of rides on top of the inner rocker-not all the way to the floor like a coupe.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »

Jeff,
I was refering to the top area on Garys kick panel, how it was cut out more,
not sure why the one is for his conv. but the one I pictured from a coupe
wasn't shaped the same way, maybe a running change?
The conv kick panels are shorter because of the inner rocker.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
I thought the new Drake repros were better than you all have found.......

Here is an older thread from when the Drake panels were first out.

I'm not sure if Drake makes these in the US or thery are done overseas for him.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2010/10/new-show-quality-65-66-and-67-68.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:27:14 AM by C5ZZKGT »

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »
Furthermore there an update on the VCM Blog.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2013/02/65-66-mustang-white-kick-panels.html

Our black exact reproduction kick panels for the Mustangs have been extremely popular and a great improvement over the cheaper reproductions.
We are now proud to announce that this same kick panel is now available in the correct color white for the 65-66 Mustang Fastbacks and Coupes.  We expect the convertible models very soon.
These new kick panels feature the correct texture, proper contours, reinforced screw holes, and correct grain.  These are made by Scott Drake, just like the black ones. 

So I'd check in with Scott Drake directly to see if they can help you with Red kick panels for your convertible.  I've reached to them directly in the past and they've been very responsive.

Ron
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:16:12 PM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »

So I'd check in with Scott Drake directly to see if they can help you with Red kick panels for your convertible.  I've reached to them directly in the past and they've been very responsive.

Ron

You are correct, they are a very response company, I had talked to them on a repro red
steering wheel for my 65, when I received it I found that it was painted which I was disappointed
with since there are other repro companies molding them in red (wrong shade though).
They told me that red is just not a big seller and if they had a batch of wheels molded in
red that it would take them 20 years to sell them at the rate they were selling at this point,
I certainly understand that is not a good business decision for them and appreciated their
honesty. So bottom line, don't think we will see red kick panels any time soon if ever.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Just for the heck of it I checked out the Scottdrake site.  It appears that they do indeed have bright red kick panels for the convertible.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C5ZZ-76023445BR.aspx?wid=141

However it's not clear if they are their latest generation of reproductions is the item I listed above didn't include the following in the description:

Now made by Drake! Features factory hole locations*, correct flaired edge to accomodate windlace, correct thickness and texture. * Note: Factory hole locations are correct for Late 65-66. Earlier Mustangs had one additional hole.
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
Just for the heck of it I checked out the Scottdrake site.  It appears that they do indeed have bright red kick panels for the convertible.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C5ZZ-76023445BR.aspx?wid=141

However it's not clear if they are their latest generation of reproductions is the item I listed above didn't include the following in the description:

Now made by Drake! Features factory hole locations*, correct flaired edge to accomodate windlace, correct thickness and texture. * Note: Factory hole locations are correct for Late 65-66. Earlier Mustangs had one additional hole.

Good detective work! They would be worth checking into, don't see them for coupe/fastback in 65 red though unfortunately.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 06:27:39 PM »
Actually Scottdrake now seems to have a complete assortment of colors (including the Bright Red ones) for Coupe, Fastback and Convertible.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/ProductSearchResults.aspx?wid=141&kw=kick%20panels

The link to the Coupe / Fastback bright red kick panels are listed below:

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C5ZZ-65023445BR.aspx?wid=141

AGAIN - it's unclear if all of the colors are their latest generation of reproductions as not all of the kick panels include the description I included before:

A lot of the kick panels include the following description (Molded in the same textured plastic as the originals. The finest available anywhere. See audio section for kick panels with built in speakers) so it's not clear if Scottdrake is offering 2 different types of kick panels and are in the midst of rolling out the higher quality / more accurate reproduction versions if all of the kick panel are actually all the same and just need the descriptions of the parts to be updated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »
Were the three sheet metal screws drilled through a template at the factory to secure the kick panels? Any best practices on how to use your old holes in the body and match them up with a replacement kick-panel?

Put the three screws into the A pillar, put a little peanut butter on each and carefully lay the kick panel in place. Peanut butter will mark the locations of each hole. Little daub of slow drying paint (house paint will work) does the same thing.   

Also have used masking tape applied in the general location then pressed the kick panel into the proper location  and wiggling it slightly will leave marks in the masking tape for each location.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)