Author Topic: Clip Style Door Handle  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Chris

Clip Style Door Handle
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »
I need help getting my door handle installed. I had the door panels replaced and the upholstery shop couldn't get the door handle back on. This is the early clip style, not the kind that screws on. The problem is, when the clip is on and the door handle in place, there is no room to get the clip pushed forward and over the shaft of the latch assembly, the door panel is just too thick. If the clip is pushed all the way in on the back side of the handle, I can't get it to go all the way on the shaft and into the circular groove that is on the latch assembly shaft in the door.

Any ideas? The unique tool for removing the clip can't get behind the handle to push the clip on, so I'm guessing thee is some other technique?
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Clip Style Door Handle
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:03:44 PM »
i have encountered the same situation a few times. seems that in the 'new' handle the groove was not machined at the correct depth. also check the thickness of the clip. i have found variations there too.
5F09C331248

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »
I'm using an original FoMoCo handle. The clips are not original though. There is a difference in the door latch assemblies that may be playing a part. The shaft depth for the passenger's side door is just a bit longer/deeper than the driver's side and the door handle goes on for that door. I think it's an original assembly, but not sure since it does not have any markings on it. I've attached a picture of the front and back of the passenger side latch assembly that the clip does manage to go on when pressed very hard (pushing in on the door handle with the clip on the back). The net effect seems to be that the groove on the shaft for the passenger door is easier to access since the shaft is longer and gets the groove closer to the edge of the door panel. The driver side door shaft is not as long, doesn't come out as far.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:00:21 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
So does anyone know how to install the door handle with the clip style retainer? Does it get pushed on or is a tool used? This is what I need to know. So far pushing it on has not worked. Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »
they just push on. tool is used only for removal. i have occasionaly used a rubber hammer to persuade it a bit.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
The repro clip has probably spread apart, I always try to use originals if possible.  You may have to squeeze them together to make sure there is enough clip to latch onto the groove in the shaft.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 12:29:18 AM »
I always try to use originals if possible.

+1, makes you wonder why the gap so big between oem and repro...

Chris, once you find the fix, I'd recommend using a nylon washer between the handle and trim to preserve the vinyl from rubbing against the metal handle...
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »
Just coming back to my door handle issue now that my generator problem is resolved. I bought two door remote controls from NPD, mainly because they carried a NOS driver's side. The passenger side is reproduction. Both are the short shaft for standard interior and have the hole for the screw. I'm using the clip-style for 64 1/2 and early 65. The driver's side went on fine and stays on. The passenger side with the repro remote door shaft allows the handle to go on but it just pulls off, it does not seem to want to seat all the way. I think I need an original remote door shaft for the passenger's side, I know from earlier measurements that it's not the same length. Any ideas? Anyone have an original for passenger side?

Offline carlizard

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »
I have had the same problem. I concluded that the replacement clips are not the same as the originals.  They are weaker and do not hold their tension .  My solution was to hit up glass companies  and buy their older clips. With a rubber mallet they seemed to work. 
1964.5 260
Body:   76A   
Color:   M   
Trim:    89   
Date:   30G   
D.S.O:  75   
Axle:    1   
Trans:    6

Offline Chris

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
Yes, I suspected the door clips, but since the driver's side handle went on and stayed on with the reproduction clips, I ruled that out. I think it's the reproduction remote control shaft not being the right length. The original one for the driver's side works.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 11:38:36 PM »
I had the same problem with the repro handles I purchased, I used
original clips instead of the repro clips and that worked for me.
I have a used original "remote control"/door latch, leave me a pm if interested.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 11:55:19 PM »
Not sure, but I don't think that the screw on, and clip on latch regulators are interchangeable. That may be the problem.

Check the depth of the retaining groove compared to the original on the other side. 
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 10:49:41 PM »
I did check the difference in length (before I attached the handle) between the original on the driver's side and the reproduction on the passenger side and the reproduction is longer in length. I did not measure if the ring for the clip was placed differently on the shaft between the two.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »

This reminds me of a story from about 20 years ago...

I had a pair of '64 1/2-Early '65 regulators, but my Late '65 coupe had the screw in type handles...  so I took the early window regulators and mounted them each in a vise, checked the thread type/size from the later '65 regular for a tap, got the right size tap., and checked the depth of the screw holes.  Then I drilled holes in both of the centers of the early '65 regulator shafts...and it worked like a charm.. so it works...and you can convert your early shafts to later ones if you want to.....You don't have to be slave to the Early type shafts if you don't want to.  You can easily convert them to the later ones...  I wouldn't do it on an Early'65, but if the car was a mid-'65...I would not even think twice about doing it... Full steam ahead!

Just Something to think about...

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Chris

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »
I installed an original early 65 door handle shaft today and its indention for the retaining clip is further back. A comparison picture is below. The repro is on bottom, original installed. The handle stays on now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:26:31 PM by Chris »