Author Topic: Paint Source for 66 Sapphire Blue?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline BubbaG

Paint Source for 66 Sapphire Blue?
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
Restoring a 66 Shelby.  Anyone know a good source for the correct Sapphire Blue (aka, Bright Blue Metallic for T-Bird) paint?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:47:30 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 Fastback A code 4sp
1986 Hatchback 351W C4
1990 GT Convertible T5
2008 GT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint Source?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:47:10 PM »
Welcome to the site hope you find it useful.

To that end, though you don't report what product you want or can shot in your area I would suggest you contact Auto Color Library in SoCal. They got their current (unless they have changed products recently) from a color match they did for me. It was a match to a sample I shot in the mid 80's off the original formula. Might be a little light but every batch is/was slightly different and its much better IMHO than what else is out there.

BTW what number is your car?   My wife has #1203 a Sapphire Blue auto car built during a Hertz run - though its not a Hertz car luckily

Again welcome to the site
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:49:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BubbaG

Re: Paint Source for 66 Sapphire Blue?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »
Thanks for the prompt response, Jeff.  Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I travel for work.

You and the other administrators are so knowledgeable, and willing to share your expertise.  I am so grateful that we have such great resources for those of us that are restoring vintage mustangs.  I look forward to learning more as I begin the restoration of my 66.

BTWW...my car is not a true Shelby (too rich for my blood), just a 66 fastback that I want to get it as close as I can to correct for a Shelby, except the VIN number.  It will never be mistaken for a true Shelby, as it is a Metuchen car.
1966 Fastback A code 4sp
1986 Hatchback 351W C4
1990 GT Convertible T5
2008 GT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint Source for 66 Sapphire Blue?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »
You and the other administrators are so knowledgeable, and willing to share your expertise.  I am so grateful that we have such great resources for those of us that are restoring vintage mustangs.  I look forward to learning more as I begin the restoration of my 66.

That  is why we're here. Just remember to share what you learn (here and in your own efforts) with others. Not to make their tasks too easy but so that they don't repeat the same mistakes we all make and to help them extend from where we are even further

BTWW...my car is not a true Shelby (too rich for my blood), just a 66 fastback that I want to get it as close as I can to correct for a Shelby, except the VIN number.  It will never be mistaken for a true Shelby, as it is a Metuchen car.

No problem. Don't think I would have ours (or many of the others) had I not purchased them long ago when they were more affordable ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)