Author Topic: What's a 69 GT package ... exactly ...  (Read 7020 times)

Offline emptys

What's a 69 GT package ... exactly ...
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:05:16 PM »
I'm taking jeff's  and 67gta289's advice to ask some questions about some of the simple
visible cues for a GT mustang.

I'm working on a 428 GT R code, dearborn, build date 10/11/68.

The car has had several lives, an i'm trying to forgive all those sins, but there's
some simple issues.

For example,  _Mustang fender emblem or not?

According to the 'mustang recognition guide', "without any GT or Mustang emblems",
so i would think this means no _Mustang fender emblem.  But i have yet to find images
of well restored GT's which don't have that very emblem.   Is the guide wrong here?

This is a white car with a dark red interior.    GT's should have an external stripe above
the rocker panel.  I'm thinking this stripe should be red, but ii'm not seeing anything
which clearly describes which stripe for which car.

The images of the restored GT's i've seen don't seem to include blacked out hoods
for the ram air cars, but i've seen so few that i'm not sure whether this is correct or not,
should the hood be blacked out mach-1 style?

Thanks for any help!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:20:09 AM by emptys »
69 428 GT -- 9F02R -- build date 10/11/68

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: What's a 69 GT package ... exactly ...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
Best way to assure that your car is a GT is to get a Marti report. There are a fair number of cars that have been made into GT's through the years to make them different and stand out in the sea of Mach I's ;)

in 69 the GT package was very unpopular and for a fastback/sportroof didn't seem to make sense on paper IMHO

For example,  _Mustang fender emblem or not?

Yes the Mustang fender emblem is original on non- Mach's and GT's

Got the MUSTANG across the trunk lid also

This is a white car with a dark red interior.    GT's should have an external stripe above
the rocker panel.  I'm thinking this stripe should be red, but ii'm not seeing anything
which clearly describes which stripe for which car.

There were recommended colors but the buyer (most cars were ordered and built rather than just purchased off the lot) could order any combination they wanted

The images of the restored GT's i've seen don't seem to include blacked out hoods
for the ram air cars, but i've seen so few that i'm not sure whether this is correct or not,
should the hood be blacked out mach-1 style?

The black out hood treatment was not part of the GT package . Ram air or non- ram air had nothing to do with the hood black out

The hood black out treatment would be mentioned/listed in the cars marti report and on the door tag under PAINT as a two digit paint code ending with the number "5"
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »
Your build date of 10/11/69 would make your Mustang a '70 ???

I'm confused, your thread topic says, "What's a '69 GT package....exactly".

Are you wanting to turn your '70 into a GT, Just asking.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:15:34 PM »
Your build date of 10/11/69 would make your Mustang a '70 ???

I'm confused, your thread topic says, "What's a '69 GT package....exactly".

Are you wanting to turn your '70 into a GT, Just asking.
His original posting stated it was built 10/11/68, so I presume the 69 here is a typo.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline emptys

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
Yep, my bad -- profile build date updated for build date 10/11/68

Yep, marti report and the Eminger invoice both indicate the car was a 428 GT, no other interesting options tho,
neither power brakes, nor power steering, nor AC.

priceless

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
It's a rare Mustang for sure, especially with the CJ.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
Yep, my bad -- profile build date updated for build date 10/11/68

Yep, marti report and the Eminger invoice both indicate the car was a 428 GT, no other interesting options tho,
neither power brakes, nor power steering, nor AC.

What color ??

Had a Sportroof R code a few years ago. Found it in a tow yard - was abandoned on the local streets so we had to do a lean sale to get the paper work

Since it was before the Ford data base was available we had no idea if it was a GT or standard originally - allot less popular than all those Mach I's
Jeff Speegle

Offline emptys

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:13:58 AM »
white with the dark red interior.

i bought the car from a friend in '95 or so, and only recently had the time to get serious about it.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
Wouldn't the 428CJ engine require the GT components? Competition handling package, etc.

I am not sure that disc brakes were part of the GT package in 1969?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »
Wouldn't the 428CJ engine require the GT components? Competition handling package, etc.

I am not sure that disc brakes were part of the GT package in 1969?

The following is to the best of my knowledge, and I welcome further clarification and correction.
With the FE in 69, you would get the wrap around shock tower reinforcements, and shock, spring, and front sway bar rates/sizes commensurate with your engine choice and how it was optioned.
For example, heavier spring rates for an a/c car vs a non a/c car.
Any 69 Mustang with 428 Q or R and a 4 speed got staggered shocks, and 428 Q or R with 3.91 or 4.30 axle and C6 got a cast iron tailshaft.
Power steering and power brakes were individual options, but were a more popular choice than with Mopars that were notorious for big block power and drum brakes all around.
Most were wrecked before they had a chance to rust.
With regular 69 Mustang, GT and Mach 1, engine/transmission/axle choices determined the suspension setup, not the model.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 01:52:39 AM »
...................and 428 Q or R with 3.91 or 4.30 axle and C6 got a cast iron tailshaft. .........

Cast iron tail shaft was on any 428 CJ auto I believe
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
yes & PI

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
The Recognition Guide states that the GT Rocker Stripe does not have an emblem inside the stripe itself.  Earlier year GTs had either MUSTANG lettering or a GT emblem inside the stripe on the front fender. The Mustang Script Emblem above the stripe on the front fender is still used on the 69 GT.

Is also says that stripe color depended on exterior and interior colors. White would be about the only exterior color that a Red stripe would have been used on(possibly black too?), and IMHO with red interior it would be a good guess that the stripe would have been Red. 
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »
This is a little off topic but I am curious since your car was built a day later than mine at Dearborn if you can tell what color undercarriage primer/paint was sprayed. I have noted at least one other on this site with this unusual blue metallic color like my 69 R code has. The entire undercarriage and the side aprons had this color on it. The only red oxide I ever found was on the inside of the floor at the cowl area and the wheelhouse inside the car. I have already been questioned about this at a national show as it's not typical and maybe some restored cars from that time frame used red oxide just to avoid the controversy.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »
This is a little off topic but I am curious since your car was built a day later than mine at Dearborn if you can tell what color undercarriage primer/paint was sprayed. I have noted at least one other on this site with this unusual blue metallic color like my 69 R code has. The entire undercarriage and the side aprons had this color on it. The only red oxide I ever found was on the inside of the floor at the cowl area and the wheelhouse inside the car. I have already been questioned about this at a national show as it's not typical and maybe some restored cars from that time frame used red oxide just to avoid the controversy.

(altered text after a correction ) Yes it would be interesting to see if his was the same as the pattern seen on yours. Hopefully his has evidence of the original finish either way

As for your issue - did you take pictures of what was originally found and if so take them with you to the shows to support your choice?

IF it was a MCA show always happy to help out with issues if I'm in attendance ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:44:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle