Author Topic: What is your thoughts?  (Read 3290 times)

Offline tclark

What is your thoughts?
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
Just read the survivor blog.  I've been trying to decide what to do with my 65 GT Conv. I bought it 4 years ago from
a lady who's father bought for her in 1966. The car is close to original but not 100%.  engine compartment all original,
paint (prairie bronze)  She had it painted about 30+yrs ago color is a little darker,  Trunk, door jams, under hood was never painted all original. Interior good (deluxe). white top average to below. Was A good driver but needing a lot, being almost 50.
The timing jumped so I have started to take those parts off. Now I want to clean and start detailing and maybe just start restoring the car as a driver/showcar.  So being an old repaint I don't look at it a true survivor, but close.
 I can't decide restore or just put it back together.  would appreciate your thoughts.  yes ($$ somewhat a factor)
Thanks
Tom

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: What is your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
Since it already has been repainted once, I say do the whole restoration. If it still had the original paint, I would be inclined to go with a deep cleaning and detailing.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
A 65 GT convertible is to unique to do a mediocre job. Take your time to compensate for a tight budget.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
First welcome to the site.

Looks like you've already started - it would have been good to have discussed your path before you started disassembly :(

A few things you need to consider

- Do you have the space to handle the complete job? You don't want to get caught half way through only to realize this is way too much for you or your allocated space. The car apart will take up three times as much space as the car did when it was together ;)

- Do I have the skills and the tools needed to do the job?

- What tasks and jobs will you farm out? Seats, engine work, paint ......?

- Do you have the knowledge or have access to it so that you don't make expensive or poor mistakes that will cost you money, time and motivation.

- Do you have a secured funding or at least an idea from where the $$$'s will come from? Another one of those things that will stop a job in a moment :(

- How will you relationship with the wife/husband, significant other suffer or adjust to the time and focus that will now be spent on the "car"? If you don't have th money to farm things out the other opinion is doing it yourself  but that can cost in other places of your life.

- Know where your going with the car before you start - that choose will answer allot of questions that will come up IF you'll remember your goal not what your feeling at the time.

- Finally do I have the drive to stay with the long process? Small vacations from the project are sometimes needed/required but if they get away from you they can develop into years - and eventually a project car for sale where you will normally get 40 cents on the dollar or less

As for the other "driver" or "show car" question allot of that choice will be clearer when you address the questions offered above. - but IMHO you need to do a honest evaluation for yourself.  Something I would suggest for anyone at the beginning

Again welcome to the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »
What do you want?
If you want to drive and enjoy that car then just get it running again and have some fun. A full resto can come later.
If you want to car to be restored to driver condition then fix ir rebuild the engine, and give it some paint and what it needs. A full resto can come later
If you want a full resto and you can afford it....go for it

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline tclark

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I think of going the route to restore it. On the process of checking out shops, references, etc.
 If anyone knows of a restoration shop in the Knoxville TN. area would like to hear about it.
Thanks
Tom
(this web site is great, a lot of helpful info.)

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:45:31 PM »
Jeff made some very good questions that you really need to think about before starting a restoration. I will throw my 2 cents worth in and say that if you are going the partial or driver type restoration that is fine but remember that anything you replace cosmetically on the car it will make the parts around it look old and stand out while before they all blended in. An example is a car with a nice paint job but all the original trim such as moldings, door handles, bumpers, weather strips, etc. are put back on the car. They now stand out with the new paint work. Another thing to consider is that even with a nice original car, it is still almost 50 years old and most parts will need to be restored or replaced. Another common mistake is to open up a restoration parts catalogue and assume all the reproduction parts are good and just like the original. In many cases they are not even close. They have come along way with some parts but still have a long way to go. N.O.S parts are still around but may not be Exactly as the original either as far as concourse detail items but fit should not be an issue. N.O.S parts can also be VERY expensive. Always try to restore all the original parts you can and what needs to be replaced try to find good used parts or N.O.S and reproduction the last option. I am not trying to discourage you on restoring your car but these are several things I have learned over the years. Restoring a car can be very rewarding when finished but you will earn it.  Chris
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline tclark

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
Thanks all, Doing a partial would not be right for this car.  My mustangs just went to restoration shop, going to do a complete restoration.
Going to restore what parts we can or replace with NOS or good repro.  This site is great for references, thanks to everyone that contributes.
 I'll post as progress goes on.
Tom

Offline ptosborn1111

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
If the car is worth it, emotionally or financially, do it all the way.
It sounds like my car. I just had the same considerations with my 71' Boss 351. And the guys on here will certainly put things into perspective. I thought of the whole restoration as well since my car is one of those possible "tweeners" (if it is even a tweener). Mine had a paint job a long time ago and some parts removed. And I didn't necessarily buy it RIGHT. Now what?? I searched out the distributor and carb and paid big money. I think I will hang on to these parts (not use them) and drive the car minimally until I really decided how much more money I want to spend on what appears to be a losing battle (lotsa lost money).

Or just sell it and get what I would really like. A 68' GT 500.
Pat
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:04:15 PM by ptosborn1111 »
65' Fastback (42k mile car) VIN 5F09A718971
A code 289/4 speed
Body 63A
Color K
Trim 26
Date 07S
DSO 41

71' Boss 351 (Grabber yellow, 2nd owner, 32k miles)
71' Boss 351 (Bright red, 2nd owner, 56k miles)
67' RS/SS 350 Camaro (Butternut yellow project)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »
On the process of checking out shops, references, etc.
 If anyone knows of a restoration shop in the Knoxville TN. area would like to hear about it.
Hi Tom and welcome to the site. Your question leads me to suggest another point that I think is the downfall of most restorations i see. Dont limit your choice of restoration shops by location. Most people like the touchy/feeling and control of having a local shop so they can check in continually but the negatives often outway the positive. If you are fortunate enough to have a good shop close to you thats awesome but its rarely the case. Send your car to the best shop (quality/price/knowledge/relationship/schedule are factors) that you can. When you consider the negatives such as transportation costs you will most likely find that they will be offset by what you will save having the job done correctly....the first time. Just thoughts to consider.
ps: I notice you are from Tennessee? If you are looking at shops down there send me a messge if you choose one to see if its one that I am currently "re doing" a car they did  ;)
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America