Author Topic: Special Order Denver DSO - Blank Paint Code Question  (Read 2215 times)

Offline hopeto

Special Order Denver DSO - Blank Paint Code Question
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
A friend of mine has had the fastback for a few years and has started the restoration. The color is some shade of light blue. I don't think they made any High Country Specials in 65, but has anyone got any ideas on the implication of the Denver DSO Special Order and blank paint code. Yes, the rivets are wrong, but it does appear to be the correct data plate for this vehicle from everything else we've found.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Special Order Denver DSO - Blank Paint Code Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
My understanding is that BLANK codes on color or interior is for special ordered color or material. Any of the sites I have found for vin decoding confirms this and I believe it has been discussed here before, most recently on the Poppy Red car from Gas Monkey.

Richard.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »
A friend of mine has had the fastback for a few years and has started the restoration. The color is some shade of light blue. I don't think they made any High Country Specials in 65,

Correct no high country specials until 66

Special order paint cars (had my fair share) could be an individual order where the buyer just didn't like the production colors or was trying to match a color they liked or part of a special promotion the dealer or region was doing to boost sales

There are a number of other threads describing the process, how the DSO number was determined and such. As in those threads Ford didn't keep track of the colors used on these cars ao your left to color match some of the original paint, match the color you have to a fleet paint book (what the salesman used)  or if part of a regional order of a number of cars find other cars with the same DSO as yours  (not an easy task) and see if one of those owners already had some paint mixed for the formula

For special promotions (if it happens to be that) look for news paper ads from the period your car was assembled or slightly after from the Denver area - the largest urban area in the state at the time. ...... rural areas didn't normally purchase many/any of these little sporty cars ;) in most states

but has anyone got any ideas on the implication of the Denver DSO Special Order and blank paint code.

Yes your door tag looks typical of a 65 with a special order exterior paint color

Don't thing the gas monkey auction had anything to do with special order paint  - looking at the door tag. Something else going on there
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
"My understanding is that BLANK codes on color or interior is for special ordered color or material."

Bingo.

Color Yes, but Material, Not too sure on that one.  I've never seen a car with a Blank Trim code. Special order Trim(s) usually had a special code.

What you have their is a Factory "Special Order Paint Car".  It was Dealer order#0270 out of DSO 51.

This is what you should see when the car is a Special Order Paint Car.  It follows all the rules here.

Though the dataplate has incorrect "pop-rivets"...Though It is an original dataplate, but may not be original to the car.  As long as the VIN# matches with what is on both shock towers, I'd say "It's good to go."......and is what it appears to be.

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:43:25 AM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline hopeto

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
Jimmy
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.