Author Topic: 67 FE starter date code  (Read 3812 times)

Offline preaction

67 FE starter date code
« on: June 25, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »
are there date codes on big or small block starters ? thanks Paul.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 FE starter date code
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »
are there date codes on big or small block starters ? thanks Paul.
Yes. Depending on the time frame and the plant they would be part of the ink stamp and later in 67 switched over to the metal stamped identification and date code.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:33:53 AM »
I did look at that search and I didn't see where the metal stamping would be, C5AF-11131-A on the nose and what I believe to be a ink stamping with a little black paint added on top just for fun.

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
I did not find all of those, thank you.  I believe I can see the stamping under a very light spray of black spray bomb, is there anything besides wiping it with a light solvent to remove the black paint ?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:16:30 PM by preaction »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »
I did not find all of those, thank you.  I believe I can see the stamping under a very light spray of black spray bomb, is there anything besides wiping it with a light solvent to remove the black paint ?
If it is metal stamped it will not make a difference if the paint rubs off with solvent because it can be made to look untouched again. If it is a ink stamp don't waste your time tying to save it because it is a lost cause if covered by paint even if only lightly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 06:30:54 PM »
If it is metal stamped it will not make a difference if the paint rubs off with solvent because it can be made to look untouched again. If it is a ink stamp don't waste your time tying to save it because it is a lost cause if covered by paint even if only lightly.

I know that Deadnutson (Jack) does inkstamp for ALTERNATOR rebuilds, does anyone simply do the "INK" stamping on STARTERS?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:34:50 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:45:06 AM »
I know that Deadnutson (Jack) does inkstamp for ALTERNATOR rebuilds, does anyone simply do the "INK" stamping on STARTERS?

Don't know anyone doing it as a service currently. Heavy items to be shipping back and forth for just a stamp.   Guess you have a blank (not metal stamped) one
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:33:37 AM »
Don't know anyone doing it as a service currently. Heavy items to be shipping back and forth for just a stamp.   Guess you have a blank (not metal stamped) one

This causes two questions to come to mind.
1.) Does anybody do rebuild services including the date codes?
2.) Is there an easy way to make my own stamp to do the stamping myself.

I'm only slightly off topic, but it fits here too. I DO have a blank-case starter (for a small block, right now it's in working, used condition)
There is nothing preventing me from simply shipping the case alone out to be stamped since it has to be diassembled for the rebuild already. I could have the body already repainted prior to shipping.

Sincce I haven't already ordered parts or taken it apart, I suppose I could become willing to consider sending the rebuilding of the whole starter out if that is the ONLY way to get the stamping done.

I like to do whatever I can for myself whenever possible/practical. If making my own stamp is a practical solution,   I might need at least a clear image with correct numbers for a small block to work with plus an idea of how many days or weeks to pre-date the date code for my project (actual build date 11/2/66)

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
This causes two questions to come to mind.
1.) Does anybody do rebuild services including the date codes?

Don't believe anyone that is rebuilding is stamping/altering date codes in the metal. At least one is redoing the ink style stamp - incorrectly IMHO

2.) Is there an easy way to make my own stamp to do the stamping myself.

No - designing the stamp is not easy and will take approx 20-30 hours depending on how good you are with computer graphic programs and how close to original you want to get.
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 04:08:19 PM »
I am curious as to where the metal stamping was applied all of the above (thanks) were ink stamped, Paul.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 04:57:36 PM »
I am curious as to where the metal stamping was applied all of the above (thanks) were ink stamped, Paul.

Jeff Speegle