Author Topic: Proper method for installing front eye bushings?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Morsel

Proper method for installing front eye bushings?
« on: May 09, 2018, 01:48:11 PM »
Hey all, I got my new set of NOS front eye bushings for my leaf springs and was wondering about installation when I'm ready to do it. I already had the old ones pressed out and in the process of restoring the springs. But what's the best method for installing the new bushings? I know there used to be a specific tool, but since those aren't really available or worth the money for a one time install, how do you do it? Do I go back to the machine shop and have them press in? Or is there a way to do it at home without destroying the restored springs or new bushings?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline preaction

Re: Proper method for installing front eye bushings?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 11:45:46 PM »
You can use a bench vise to slowly and evenly push the bushing in this method takes two people though.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:19:43 AM »
Jason,
I use a 20 ton press (it's not overkill if it works) with a home made fixture to press out and in the bushings.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 12:58:30 AM »
How about using a ball removal tool?
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
Jason,
I use a 20 ton press (it's not overkill if it works) with a home made fixture to press out and in the bushings.
Jim

I need to come for a visit, haha...
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
Jason,
Jim

+1

My special fixtures were sharp-edge deep socket and another socket plus two more hands. My springs are NOT painted so it worked for mine.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »
I need to come for a visit, haha...
You buy the beer -
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 03:34:21 AM »
I normally have the local spring shop here in Phoenix press out the old ones and then put the new ones in right away.  Then I media blast them and restore them since that does not affect the rubber.  Comes out really nice. 
The press and tools they have at the local leaf spring shop here is well worth the $40 I normally spend. 
Can post pictures if needed of the finished result. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »
I normally have the local spring shop here in Phoenix press out the old ones and then put the new ones in right away.  Then I media blast them and restore them since that does not affect the rubber.  Comes out really nice. 
The press and tools they have at the local leaf spring shop here is well worth the $40 I normally spend. 
Can post pictures if needed of the finished result.

Thanks, but no need to restore my originals, they were shot and I was able to secure some NOS ones for the install, just have to get them in there once I restore my leafs...

Might go visit Jim and buy him some beers ;)

Jason

Offline Morsel

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
You buy the beer -
Jim

Hey Jim, how close are you to Brad Miller, I will be making a trip in a couple weeks from the north bay to go get my rear end from him, maybe if it works out you could give me a hand, I'd gladly buy some beverages, plus would love to see your cars... always enjoy seeing the good ones...

Jason

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »
Not everybody lives in a big city with a spring shop Marcus🤣🤣🤣. Just giving you a hard time buddy😉😉.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:11:44 AM »
I went about it the hard way of burning the rubber out and then using a sawzall and a punch to cut the old ones out.  Then used a ball joint press tool and a homemade tool to get the new bushings in.  The homemade tool was a long thread with thick washers and a nut on each end. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 12:06:23 AM »
It really does take two people to handle this in a press.

However, this bushing is really rusted in there and I remember the easy, few tools method. This took about half an hour and a lot of that time was taken up taking pictures.

Pic 1:
Drill 4 holes in the rubber bushing. I started relatively small and worked my way up in three steps.

Pic 2:
Drill 4 more in between.

Pic 3:
Drill out the holes with a bigger bit.

Pic 4:
Drill sideways a little, hogging out the holes at an angle.

Pic 5:
By the time you hog out each of the holes at an angle the center bolt is ready to fall out.

Pic 6:
Yep.

Pic 7:
And then the rubber usually just falls out.

Pic 8:
Empty shell.

Pic 9:
Burr in a die grinder

Pic 10:
Grind near where the spring returns back to itself.

Pic 11:
Since the shell is very thin at the grind line it takes little effort to carefully break the shell so it folds back into itself and drops out.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline brcron007

• Always 1 more detail ! ;)
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »
Hi Saw your post about how some are going to an incredible amount of work to get those bushings out. Here's an easy peezy for you. 1. Go buy a 1 gallon can of NAPA brand carb cleaner with basket (Remove basket-save it - it's to small to hold the leaf spring  ;)  ) Then stick it in the carb cleaner. I put them in the can on end, then wrap small grocery bag around the leaf and can to help reduce evaporation. Then leave them over night. Come out in the morning and your bushing will be popped out. It swells and turns gushy . Then I spray it off with carb cleaner to rinse. Then soak in some evaporust for a couple hours then they pop right out done it on 2 sets and they are a breeze. Just sayin. Just mentioning ;) Ron
1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 CJ R-code, Dearborn assembled on January 20, 1969-Marty report 3 Days ahead of schedule. Door tag says the 23rd. I have a time machine, PS, PDB, C-6 automatic-added factory AC, Tilt-Away, intermmitant wipers Have a complete 69 cougar factory electric sunroof avail.