Author Topic: 1966 GT NJ built Coupe - VIN not stamped square to inner panel.  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Jondors

I have a GT that I know has had previous front end damage.  The left front inner fender well has been replaced as well as both right inner fenders.  The right panels have no VIN.
The left rear inner fender still has the original VIN  but the VIN appears to be stamped at an angle not square to the inner panel.  Could be due to the previous front end damage.
Is a "non-squared up" VIN something that has been seen before.  I'm reluctant to square it up because I don't want it to appear that it has been altered or added to the car.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 09:27:03 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 SJ Convertible 289/4-Speed w/Deluxe
1966 Dearborn GT Fastback w/Deluxe
1966 Metuchen GT Coupe w/Deluxe
1966 Metuchen GT Convertible w/Deluxe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 GT NJ built Coupe - VIN not stamped square to inner panel.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 09:40:32 PM »
A couple of things going on here. First, as you pointed out, its apparent or pictures suggest that the drivers side inner fender panel has been replaced since it as a visible, stenciled part number on it. Also the date stamp on the drivers side fender suggests that it has been replaced supporting the idea that there was an accident and additional parts and panels were replaced.  IMHO good chance the hood also.

So we have that and the fact that the VIN on that side is not where it typically would be located. Guess you have already looked at the bottom side to see if its been cut off the original panel and location and grafted in to area over the shock tower as shown. No reason, since the original panel would have been in place, for the operator not to stamp the forward  and rear VIN on that side where always had and did 

Have you checked for the other two VINs (6T07A161171) stamped in the inner fender panels? . Both behind the shock towers on the rear inner fender panel upper lip as you likely already know

Looking at other cars around the same 66 production period at NJ I found no others with a factory VIN located where this car currently has one but you knew that and that is why you asked :)

Interesting but have seen similar things owners and repair shops have done in the past
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 09:48:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Jondors

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 10:20:54 AM »
Thanks for the response.

No VINs in the other locations, including the door tag.

I'm hopeful that once it's disassembled I can massage that panel to put that VIN back into to correct orientation.

I still feel fortunate to have the one on the drivers side, plus the buck tag and the build sheet to confirm this is a GT.

Not a good candidate for a concours rebuild but would make a excellent driver once completed.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 03:41:59 PM »
I still feel fortunate to have the one on the drivers side, plus the buck tag and the build sheet to confirm this is a GT.
A GT in that VIN range will have crush tubes in the rear frame rails. See -
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=25899.msg160148#msg160148
And a few pictures.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Jondors

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 07:07:15 PM »
jwc66k - Thanks for the additional information.

The car has all of the "usual" GT indicators, including the crush tubes.

The buck tag and the build sheet just document and reinforce the fact that this is a factory GT.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 02:27:53 PM »
It looks to me like someone cut the fender to expose the drivers side hidden VIN. Drivers side hidden VIN on my NJ car is not squared to the edge of the apron
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65